tattoobob
08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Is it just me or are wood plug prices just getting higher and higher
I would love to have some, But I can't spend that much on a piece
of painted wood.

What's your thoughts?

Tagger
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
welcome to the club Bob ... Vintage wood is out of my league for sometime now . I occaisionally score a beater ,(no box ,well used,missing paint,rusty hooks) to copy . People are very educated about vintage wood in corect boxes and special colors .

Adam_777
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Yep plugs are expensive and they are addictive once you dabble in them.They add up and take up space.When you loose one to a rock or a lobster pot your twice as pissed as you would be if you lost a cheapy.I fish rocks alot and the wood and paint takes a beating.Woods nice but sometimes plastic holds up better.Most I've spent on one is 25 bux I can't see any more than that.

spence
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I think the new custom plugs are just getting closer to their true value. Additionally there seem to be a lot of builders out there who don't have to rely on it for a primary income, so they don't have to worry as much with competition.

But I think things will trend down a bit unless there's a change in the market. There's only so many plug consumers out there.

-spence

nightfighter
08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Much easier to pay up at the spring shows, when I'm jonseing to fish. Someone has it right in their signature; The next best thing to fishing is buying new gear. Can't do it at this time of year when I see I haven't even used 10% of what I have..... Heck, I could get by without adding another five years, and still not use them all. (But we all know that won't happen...)

Steve K
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
This topic has been beaten to death by now. There are still inexpensive wooden plugs out there like Bob Hahn's that are available. It is simply supply and demand.

Slingah
08-20-2007, 06:49 PM
think about it....
how many plugs do you really need???
and how many times can you use a plug???
ya cant change hooks on a chunk....or repaint an eel
in comparison...plugs (even expensive ones) are an economical way to fish....ya just dont need a miliion of em...or every new one

Slingah
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
ya think plugs are expensive?? did you get a look at that Jap beef over there in Scuppers??:bl2:

RoyL
08-20-2007, 07:16 PM
You think surf plugs are expensive look at what Cali and the rest of the world is getting for almost the same plug for fresh water. Now thats expensive. When you start to dish out $300 for a largemouth plug somethings wrong...okay I have a problem

basswipe
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
That's why I buy Salty's stuff.Price is right anytime and when Scott throws out the deals...he throws out the deals.

His sh!t works.

luds
08-20-2007, 07:35 PM
:-) happy thoughts :-)

Rappin Mikey
08-20-2007, 07:43 PM
The way I've been thinking about it is, every plug I've ever had is gone accept the ones I have right now. Not really brain surgery but mind boggeling when you really cotemplate it.

Adam_777
08-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Shipping sucks bad... but the damn things can't fly so we have no choice.I love my plugs.Sometimes I just hold them and show them to wife and kids.I feel like they are members of my immediate family because I'd like to spend more time with them than the rest.

shadow
08-20-2007, 08:08 PM
do like I do buy plugs but fish eels that way the plugs last longer.:laughs:

Slipknot
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Plug prices are determined by lots of factors. One is by what people are willing to pay for them, that's why the 300 dollar largemouth plugs that folks thing they have a chance at a world record with for instance. Other guys just want to ask a fair price, others it's determined by supply and demand.
The most I've paid for a plug I fished was $35.00 and I still fish it when I feel like it.

Lex lures are a very good value, they catch fish too, I don't know how Scottie can make any profit.Simple plug that works and is affordable at less than 10 bucks.

I have a priceless plug that I have fished and most guys think I'm nuts to fish such a work of art but I feel it is a testament to the builder of the plug since that is what it's intended for.
even caught a nice fish on it on the second cast with it back in May.
http://www.bmwoodworking.com/brucefishing/bruce25lb52607.jpg

RM Smith makes artwork as fishing lures:btu:

I don't think half the fishemen out there that use plugs have any idea how much work goes into making a plug that looks good,lasts or holds up a reasonable amount of time, that entices fish to strike and cats well enough to be used and be put in the rotation of your plugbag.

I love wood and appreciate it. Guys like habs and beachmaster are real craftsmen as their popularity and demand show, I love their plugs also. There is room for everybody.

luds
08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow. Awsome post Slip. Thanks.

Skitterpop
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Bruce is the pic at bottom and one in the nice bassies mouth Ryan`s work?

Thanks....nice pic and nice bass :claps:

Slipknot
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Bruce is the pic at bottom and one in the nice bassies mouth Ryan`s work?

Thanks....nice pic and nice bass :claps:

yes :uhuh:

that is Ryan's work in both pics

Skitterpop
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
yes :uhuh:

that is Ryan's work in both pics

Wow :spin: Those are wonderful!

plug prices: Look at all the flipping on new BMs.... double the retail days after bought :spin: .

Mike P
08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
One of the best Canal fishermen I know brags about only owning one plug :hihi:

Slipknot
08-20-2007, 08:48 PM

that would be the future legend Jim :D
Yep, he carries ONE plug, a pencil in his jigbag just in case:hihi:

Striperknight
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
We as fisherman get caught up in the fear of not having the magic lure
when thats all the fish want. So we start to collect huge amounts of tackle. Like someone said in this thread you only need a couple of plugs.

bloocrab
08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
When it comes to custom wood - yeah, I think the prices can get up there....and I feel that way mainly because you can't control how long you're going to own the plug ,,, (break-offs/snagged on a rock/bluefish-bitten/"HO'-ed" ,,, It's one thing if you pay a lot of money for it and you really take great care of it, wash it, wax it, re-hook it, BUT ...when you decide to fish it, any and every time you do....you're gambling on the chance of losing it. That's when it becomes expensive in my mind. I've never been a collector, I buy things to use them, so for that simple fact, yes...I find them expensive (especially when I can do GREAT with a $5 Creek Chub:huh:) . The only plugs you'd see in a case at my house would be plugs that I caught memorable fish on etc// and decided to retire them for a particular personal reason, custom wood, plastice, rubber...a BARE HOOK if it means something to me....

Don't get me wrong, I give the custom guys a lot of credit. They make GREAT stuff. I've held some of Mr. Pogy's stuff and let me tell ya, the finish on his plugs scare me to even touch them, let alone fish them. Those plugs and many more of the top builders on this site are definately WORTH THE MONEY, just not always my money (because I use and could lose them). I own plenty of custom stuff and will contine to buy them, just not in the volumes that "collectors" do. I think when you "collect" something, it becomes a hobby. Fishing isn't a hobby for me, it's a PASSION. I couldn't put a price on fishing. Guys talk about gas prices holding them back, bait being too expensive, gear prices outrageous/what have you,,, .....There's no shame in using your old Abu Garcia rod, a $5 dollar plug with a wire-leader for security and having a great time. If you really know what you're doing, you already know you don't need TOP $$ equipment to catch fish. Of course it helps...(ALOT)...but ask Roy about snoopy rods or scoobe doo, and they'res your pudding.

People afford what they want to afford (whether they can or not is a different question), that's the American way.

Sorry bob, long winded point of view....SHOOT ME :liquify:

Do I think they're just "a piece of painted wood" ??? HELL NO, they ARE WORKS OF ART,,, but like Picasso's,,, I can't always afford them, but I wouldn't discredit it because I couldn't afford it. As a struggling artist wanna-be....I have much respect for ART work, and that's what a lot of our builders create. :behead: . . .ok, I'll shut up now.

fishbones
08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
The guys who have labored at making their own plugs can understand why the custom wood plugs are so expensive. It's labor intensive and takes a real skill to make a plug that swims right and catches fish. I've made my own and figured that I spent enough on one to buy several made by the real craftsmen on this site. You really can appreciate what these guys are doing. I will spend good money on plugs that really catch my eye, but I also use knockoffs that cost $6 to $8 that catch just as well (usually after having a $20 plug cut off by a blue). The lure is important, but the person using it has to know what they are doing if they are going to catch fish.

Pt.JudeJoe
08-21-2007, 12:39 AM
The cost of materials is way up. Like others have said ,and I have seen first hand, a lot goes into making custom wood plugs. The $ per hour by the time it is finished is very small ,but they do it because they love their work and it shows in the finished product.But the truth is.....you should all be throwing METAL!:D

Pete_G
08-21-2007, 05:24 AM
There's always Super Strike. As good as they ever were...

Although those have gone up too. Considering where plastic comes from you can't be too surprised I guess.

Barring lobster pots and other random tragedies I really rarely lose a plug, so I'm fairly fearless when it comes to throwing wood. My only requirement is that the plug will tolerate years of service. I'll pay if it works and it lasts.

Back Beach
08-21-2007, 05:50 AM
We as fisherman get caught up in the fear of not having the magic lure
when thats all the fish want. So we start to collect huge amounts of tackle. Like someone said in this thread you only need a couple of plugs.

I just put a couple hundred of mine up for sale for that very reason.

I kept a few Hab's needles and a bunch of old F-80 rebels.You don't really need any more than that to catch fish, save for some jigs.

numbskull
08-21-2007, 06:07 AM

LOL. Plugs add another and a significant level of difficulty to fishing. Specializing in one spot or one technique is hardly an indication of overall skill as a fisherman. Nice that he catches fish and can brag about it, though. Got me beat.

Kosherklam
08-21-2007, 06:14 AM
However
I believe plug prices reflect workmanship and quality. For instance the plugs below go for only $15 as alot of other retailers are selling plugs very similar to them for $23 you really have to see them up close this is one of the only plugs that you could by for reasonable and affordable price and people have never heard of them. It is unfourtinate but raw materials are going up like paint, wood, wire, lead, and metal welcome to inflation it sucks but it affects the builders more than you think. How much money do you think th builders are making from building plugs after labor and costs of materials. I can honestly say not much its more of a hobbie for most of the guys.

Joe Dalton
08-21-2007, 06:52 AM
I remember going into the local Penny Candy store when I was a kid...you walk in and don't now were to to start...you only have a Quarter to spend but you want to try one of each :hf1: it reminds me of the day Rick Hern introduced me to Mac a few years ago.

I walked into Mac's work Shop in his back yard ...O'MY GOD...it was like being in that candy store...Only had $25 bucks...But I wanted to try out each Plug...WE MISS YOU MAC !

Mike P
08-21-2007, 09:12 AM
LOL. Plugs add another and a significant level of difficulty to fishing. Specializing in one spot or one technique is hardly an indication of overall skill as a fisherman. Nice that he catches fish and can brag about it, though. Got me beat.

The steepest and most difficult learning curve in surf fishing is jigging the Canal. Anyone who is a capable caster can land a popper close enough to a breaking fish to get it to eat it. At night, swimming plugs account for a fraction of what jigs and their ilk catch. If that is what you mean by adding a significant level of difficulty, well, I guess you have a point. But it has nothing to do with one's versatility or ability to fish a plug. It has to do with playing the percentages, especially for those who target large fish. Catching 20-30 schoolies on small swimmers or shads isn't really indicative of any particular skill level.

When it comes to large fish--say over 20# or 40"--10 fall to jigs, skins, or plastics on lead in the Canal for every one that falls to a plug, over the course of a season. At night. The public only hears about a very small percentage of them. Guys fish the Canal at night for two reasons--better shot at a truly large fish for a longer stage of the tide, and no audience.

Swimmer
08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Plug prices are determined by lots of factors. One is by what people are willing to pay for them, that's why the 300 dollar largemouth plugs that folks thing they have a chance at a world record with for instance. Other guys just want to ask a fair price, others it's determined by supply and demand.
The most I've paid for a plug I fished was $35.00 and I still fish it when I feel like it.

Lex lures are a very good value, they catch fish too, I don't know how Scottie can make any profit.Simple plug that works and is affordable at less than 10 bucks.

I have a priceless plug that I have fished and most guys think I'm nuts to fish such a work of art but I feel it is a testament to the builder of the plug since that is what it's intended for.
even caught a nice fish on it on the second cast with it back in May.
http://www.bmwoodworking.com/brucefishing/bruce25lb52607.jpg

RM Smith makes artwork as fishing lures:btu:

I don't think half the fishemen out there that use plugs have any idea how much work goes into making a plug that looks good,lasts or holds up a reasonable amount of time, that entices fish to strike and cats well enough to be used and be put in the rotation of your plugbag.

I love wood and appreciate it. Guys like habs and beachmaster are real craftsmen as their popularity and demand show, I love their plugs also. There is room for everybody.

What are you doing fishing in front of my house?

:rotflmao:

SeaWolf
08-21-2007, 11:19 AM
like any other area, and industry for that matter, you have a variety of choices. sticking w/ the custom wood lures you have many manufacturers out there now and each has their own unique paint, type of lure, quality, etc., to them and of course the price. some market to different customers than others. many build a similar lure to another builders so you have choices. some are loyal to some builders due to their reputation or the angler's own success with that lure(s). if each manufacturer is selling out what they build then they must be doing something right. if they are selling out and making a profit, good for them.

as already mentioned costs associated with manufacturing these lures has increase. paints go up, oil prices for heating goes up, electricity goes up, etc., mainly due to oil prices. so, manufacturers prices sometimes go up as well. but, many times the price increase is due to supply and demand. if a manufacturer can sell a lure for $30/each and sell out, good for them. that doesnt mean you have to condemn that manufacterer. they have a choice of how to price their lures. you dont have to buy them. if a manufacturer can sell a lure at $13/ea and make a profit, good for them. as mentioned, there are other options. buy what fits into your budget or what you have success with. if the demand falls, prices will lower or it'll be survival of the fittest.

like pete, i have spent $18-25 for lures before. do i like it, no not really, but on most occasions i am buying a lure that i have had great success with. so, i am willing to spend more on it. not so much for collection purposes. on the same note, i dont like waiting or searching for lures that come out from time to time. i have streamlined my lure bag selection to lures that produce for me and i am usually find on walls when i am in a pinch due to a blitz or a fish's appetite of the day.

ultimately, it is a buyer's decision on what they need and what they want. buyer's control the market for the most part. manufactuer's control is limited.

slow eddie
08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
i can understand the price of the custom plugs being $20.00 or so. i cannot understand the china plastic imports being the same price. how many guys on the site are not making the 20. an hour?

numbskull
08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
When it comes to large fish--say over 20# or 40"--10 fall to jigs, skins, or plastics on lead in the Canal for every one that falls to a plug, over the course of a season.

Precisely, and it requires substantial skill to do it. But put the same guy in the rocks at Gay Head and his attitude about plugs would change very quickly. To suggest the opinion of a guy who fishes where plugs are not needed is a good indication of the value of plugs in general seems misguided. It also overlooks the real value of plugs, namely that getting a large fish to eat a plug provides a greater sense of accomplishment to many of us than fooling the same (or multiples thereof) fish with bait or lead. Not everyone feels that way, but those that do are happy to have such quality plugs available even at high cost.

wader-dad
08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I think there are 3 levels of plug buying. You got guys that buy buctails, jigs plastics, bomber and redfins and can catch much better than me for $3-$6 an item. Thats about catching fish and you don't need anything else.

Then there are guys like me that go to the RISAA show and don't mind paying in the mid 20's for a Habs or Tattoo plug. When I load my plug bag, rip open the packaging and insert that Tattoo darter slowly into the tube (maybe too graphic) before heading to the Vineyard or Cuttyhunk for a special trip, I get the passion going like nothing else. It adds to my surfcasting enjoyment. With Mag Darters going for like $14. Its not crazy money.

Then there are the guys that bid $100 for a Pichney Troller on Ebay because they are collectors. They are not going to fish them, but collecting something is a passion also. I don't get it when guys get pissed off when they see vintage plugs going for alot of money. To me it means our sport is being recognized. I do not begrudge anyone from collecting older plugs.

Adam_777
08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
speaking of custom stuff anyone got their grubby little hands on one of these?

Slipknot
08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Swimmer, you gave me permission to fish there , remember? :)

Precisely, and it requires substantial skill to do it. But put the same guy in the rocks at Gay Head and his attitude about plugs would change very quickly. To suggest the opinion of a guy who fishes where plugs are not needed is a good indication of the value of plugs in general seems misguided. It also overlooks the real value of plugs, namely that getting a large fish to eat a plug provides a greater sense of accomplishment to many of us than fooling the same (or multiples thereof) fish with bait or lead. Not everyone feels that way, but those that do are happy to have such quality plugs available even at high cost.

George, maybe we are giving you the wrong impression of Jim, he jokes about only needing one plug. He is obsessed with the canal, it's the only place he fishes, I couldn't even get him to go out to Orleans to fish with Stetzko that's how stuck on the canal he is. He really loves the idea of catching large out in the middle down on bottom with a jig and having to fight it to shore. If he were on the rocks at Gay Head or Cutty, I'm certain he would appreciate a wooden plug and all that it can do. I'll see you tom. night :)

diklarsen
08-22-2007, 03:25 AM
i really dont mind paying alot for plugs anymore after the spring i had. i was throwing my expensive plugs and they were outfishing my friends cheaper plugs all night

capesams
08-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Interesting thread which bring up another question...wood people pay /buy a plug if all the correct steps in building said plug were there, but the outter shell was rough,,mill marks[no sanding] plainly painted[two or three colors] no scales etc. etc. Wood they buy these at a much[?] lower price or wood they stick to the fine art style they can have today at a higher price??

NIGHT STRIKES
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Interesting thread which bring up another question...wood people pay /buy a plug if all the correct steps in building said plug were there, but the outter shell was rough,,mill marks[no sanding] plainly painted[two or three colors] no scales etc. etc. Wood they buy these at a much[?] lower price or wood they stick to the fine art style they can have today at a higher price??

I think so,, if this said plug swam and did the job it was meant to do - sure....
I'm bad when it comes to buying the fancy air-brushed "baitfish" patterns,but I'll take a plain old yellow,black or white hunk of wood
anyday also.... Good Quality Doesn't Always Have To Be Pretty To Work...

fishbones
08-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Bottom line is, if you can afford it and want it, buy a custom plug. You don't need $20 + plugs to catch fish, but you don't need a $300 rod or $900 reel either. You can go out and catch a 50lb bass on a $30 rod and $40 reel if you know what you are doing. It's just like buying a car. When I was a kid in college, I bought a piece of junk car because it was what I could afford. It got me to work and classes, but was not much to look at. Now that I am in a position to spend more on things, I buy much nicer vehicles for my wife and I. It is still just transportation, but it makes getting to where we are going a little more enjoyable. I still use cheap plugs as I mentioned earlier in the thread, but I get real sense of enjoyment out of catching a nice fish on a custom plug. Maybe it's because it validates the price I've paid, or maybe it's because I just appreciate the talent it takes to produce these works of art.

BlazingRod
08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
plugs are like match box cars, gotta have all the ones u think are cool and purdy =)

emgred
08-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I will pay more for a custom plug if it is better. By better I mean better at catching fish. For example Habs Needlefish are worth every penny. LIfishinVT Darters just swim better and therefore catch fish. Bob Hahn metal lip swimmers catch fish and are half the price of most custom, so I choose to fish Hahns. I know they don't have the fancy finish or scaled paint job, but (and I hope RM does not mind if I quote something he posted on another site about plug colors) as RM Smith says "Dark, medium and light is all you really need. Everything else fancy, is more for you than the fish
I'm guilty of fancy myself, makes it more funner."

fishaholic18
08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
$20 buys a lot of snag hooks....:smash:

tattoobob
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
You all make a valid points, but I think the only thing a flashy expensive plug catches is the fisherman.

Backbeach Jake
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Plug prices indicate what people will pay.That's all, they could be tulips. It's about desire and the ability or need to pay.

On Canal fishing; I'm gaining a real appreciation of the ART of that craft. It ain't easy. At first I thought it was, then I realized that bumping a jig across the bottom is the most mentally challenging thing that I've done for fun ever. And when the current changes direction the game changes,too. So many subtleties in that art, cool as all hell though.

winchmaster
08-23-2007, 12:40 AM
You can still find well made customs for $15.00 and under. Most are made by smaller builders that are not the star attractions for the must have crowd. Most don't advertise, it's more a word of mouth thing. You just have to find these guys, they are out there.

gone fishin
08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
This has been one interesting thread. I do think some of the commercial plugs are way overpriced compared to the work of the plugbuilders on this site. When I say that I have to back up my feelings. It takes a lot of effort to turn a plug and put the hunk of wood thru a process to finsh it. A properly turned plug is made from quality stock, turned, drilled, sanded and sealed. Then the artistry takes over. Custom paint is time consuming let alone all the fancy stuff many builders throw in. Through wiring and quality hardware contributes to a fine end product.
If the plug is a swimmer, proper tuning comes into play. I have purchased swimmers at a premium and on first use I find the plug is junk. As an example there are a couple of builders whose plugs swim right from the first cast on - Karl for one and also Rockfish 9. If one takes the time and swaps a few plugs they will be amazed at the difference. The plugbuilders here not only turn out plugs - they fish them. If the price of the plug was to reflect the true time and cost a fancy plug is well worth the 25 to 35 buks. A hand carved plug like numbskull, RM and a few others make is worth far more than 20 buks. Look at the smile on slips face and that tells it all.

Finaddict
08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
It's all about perception and perceived value ... but the work that goes into them and the way they work, I feel they are worth the money. Say you spend $20-$25 on a plug, you catch a 30-pounder on it, would you pay that much to catch a 30 pounder? Absolutely.

These guys work hard to build what they are selling, a lot goes into it. Also, everything costs money ... even fishing from a boat, snagging bunker ...the boat, fuel, insurance, etc. all adds up to extra money during a trip.

The old vision of fishing being a cheap pastime isn't as true as it once was, but again, it's still cheaper than many other things, so it's all worth it IMHO.

wheresmy50
08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
I bought a lot of plugs out of inexperience and from listening to other people's opinions - people with moe experience. Now I'm not saying I'm done buying lures, but my attitude has definitely changed. I have enough to last me a while.

I'm not surprised prices are going up. If you're a plug maker and your stuff sells out of a shop in a day, why wouldn't you raise prices? After all, you're obviously not charging enough. I can't believe Habs doesn't charge $45 a plug.