View Full Version : rod and plug storage

american spirit
08-23-2007, 07:08 AM
what do you guys think about storing rods and plugs in a shed. i have some concerns about the sweltering heat of the summer and cold winters affecting rod guides and plug sealant/ wood integrity. do you guys think rod guides would be more likely to crack with drastic changes in temperature. or wood and sealant on plugs would be more likely to crack.

i recently moved into a house with no basement. i have a ranch with a crawl space and 1/2 finished bottom floor. i just put a 12x20 shed in the back yard for storage. not sure if i want to put the fishing gear in there. any input?

luds
08-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Living room. You can always look at them there.:tooth:

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2007, 07:17 AM

Spoken like a True Single Guy.....ask him this same question next year. :hihi:

nightprowler
08-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Spoken like a True Single Guy.....ask him this same question next year. :hihi:

Yeah, no kidding, I just moved in with my fiance, and not only have I been fishing less....but my rods and plugs are relegated to the back room!!

american spirit
08-23-2007, 07:38 AM

yup, the luds set up in his old apartment was intense. plugs and nascar diecasts all over the entertainment center. it was nice. now at least he's got a spare room devoted to 100% fishing. :btu:

not gonna fly in my house, so i'm forced to find other options.

Clogston29
08-23-2007, 08:11 AM
hostile take over of the finished basement - she can have the rest of the house. I'm running cable down to mine next winter - she'll love that.

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I took over the Finished Basement and the Garage.....Thats my territory. She can have the rest of the house.

I use Curtain rods hanging from the ceiling in the garage for my plugs...going to put in a wall rack for the rods this fall

Finaddict
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I have been in similar situations over the past six or so years ... in the first instance, I rented a storage unit (heated/cooled, etc.) and wound up spending more time there than with her ...

... now I have a small place and TDF has agreed to help me build the ultimate plug rack ... it's going to be the balls ... when it's finished and loaded, I will show you ...

Raider Ronnie
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I would be concerned with storing anything valuable in an out side shed if there is any chance of mice around.
Where I live, every year they get into something being my riding tractor, or one year it was a nest inside a pair of waders,, ect...

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
I would be concerned with storing anything valuable in an out side shed if there is any chance of mice around.
Where I live, every year they get into something being my riding tractor, or one year it was a nest inside a pair of waders,, ect...

Mothballs....I had the same problem for years in my shed, mice destroyed 3 mowers on me over the years. Last year I through a bunch of mothballs around the shed and in the Mower casing....not a single sign of any in there since.

fishbones
08-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Does the house have an attic that is well insulated? If so, you could store them there if you have easy access. I have rods and reels in my basement and attic along with some in my mothers basement so that my wife can't keep track of how many I own. I've never had a problem with the ones stored in the attic. I used to put my rod and waders in my shed overnight after rinsing them off so that I wouldn't leave a trail of water in the house. I stopped doing that when I forgot about the waders and left them wet in a garbage bag for a week or so in really hot temps.

EricM
08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
First the rods come down from the walls...then the milk crates full of plugs and gear get put in the corner, then the closet...meanwhile, amt. of time spent fishing decreases while amt. of time spent trying to butter up to reverse the shocking decline of fishing time increases...there has to be a better way...

RoyL
08-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I keep all my gear in the house. I've spent to much $$$ and rely on it to heavly to leave it out side. Id put my fiance out side before my gear and she knows it

diklarsen
08-23-2007, 10:39 PM
i would just get a wall rack for the rods and get a bunch of milk crates fill i with rows of square pvc and load the plugs into it. whats sweet about that is u can stack the milk crates with all the plugs and take up very little space

Redsoxticket
08-24-2007, 07:06 AM
attic

Brother Brian
08-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Heated garage were I keep over 60,000 dollars worth of automobiles outside to protect 4,000 dollars worth of gear.