View Full Version : A Special Place in Hell...

Karl F
08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
For Service Techs and Management at Car Dealers, that go outta their way to bend the public over....

My daughter gets a recall on her 11 year old Jeep.. good for a new Cat Converter, if deemed needed... I didn't want to take it in, as the Jeep Dealer(s) reputations are not great here on the Cape. Wife said do it.. so.. make the call, off I go..

I hang out for 45 minutes, the go-between comes back with a clipboard (Oh %$%$%$%$e, that was the tip-off...) The Service Tech has deemed that the Cat has failed, and the "stuff" has gone into your muffler and tailpipe (WTF?), AND there is an 02 sensor, that has corroded into place, and that will need to be replaced as well, as well as exhaust hangers and the disposal fee.. So.. Please sign here, it will be 598 dollars, unless the Tech runs into other troubles...

I cut him off.. "Please Give me the keys and the vehicle now!"

But Sir..

"Never mind.. Look.. I've had the car on the lift recently.. the tailpipe and muffler are recent, as are the hangers.. It just passed emmisions less than a month ago.. if I needed a muffler and tailpipe, thats 149 bucks tops at a place like Midas.. for 600 clams I can replace everything from the manifold back,muffler,tail pipe,the Cat,the 02 sensor, and have enough left to take the family out to a real nice dinner... Stick it.. give me the Car NOW!"

Ya know, the lady go-between, walked away.. talked with the tech, and an older guy in a suit, they looked a little nervous.. I grew tired of waiting..
I walked over.. "Crossed the Line" on the floor.. they shut up real quick.. I asked "Please, can I have the Car NOW!.. the Tech scurried and drove the car to the Service Door..

Everytime I get a recall on the wifes car, or my old truck, it never costs a dime.... I hope there is a special place in hell for these guys.. half way tempted to send a nastygram to Jeep.. but.. not sure who owns them this week.....

daceman63
08-27-2007, 12:08 PM
send a copy to the owner of the dealer and better business bureau and the local consumer's group of the attorney general's office.

that should scare some people.

They'll fix it right after you write that nice letter.

justplugit
08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Fortunate you know cars inside and out Karl, the average guy would have just signed and said OK. :smash:

chris L
08-27-2007, 01:58 PM
send a copy to the owner of the dealer and better business bureau and the local consumer's group of the attorney general's office.

that should scare some people.

They'll fix it right after you write that nice letter.

also the jeep national office

Raven
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
what a scam....:shocked: friggan recall my ass :bshake:

Backbeach Jake
08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I was ashamed to work at the last dealership that employed me. Everyone who walked in the door was a sucker to be played, including the employees. Big outfit with Worcester sewed up, but that wasn't enough. I lasted a year there.

Karl F
08-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I think I'm gonna call them, and just ask if I can have the new Cat, in a box, as I don't want them touching the car...

IF.. they came to me and said.. look we can put the Cat in, but that O2 sensor is rot-welded in, we gotta put a new one in, the rest of the system, in our opinion, should be replaced, but, we will work around it.
The sensor costs X.. ( I would imagine around a hundred bucks tops)
I coulda lived with that.. but NO... woulda been waaay too honest for them.

I did some shopping around this afternoon.. 598 to replace the Cat and the muffler and tailpipe, with stock parts.. is definately waaaay out of line, especially if Jeep is paying for the Cat.. I can do Stainless Pipe, Cat and Muffler, for a little over 600... Mr. Corson... Eff You!

Best Part is the line about the "Stuff" goin outta the Cat into the muffler... :hihi:.. my buddy and regular mechanic.. and I.. gotta great laugh outta that.. he said.. "what they do, go over to the hospital and give it a colonoscopy??":rotflmao:

They never put a wrecnh to it.. just an visual while it was on the lift... Bastages.

Slipknot
08-27-2007, 07:15 PM
:fishslap: :nailem: :poke:
ya Karl, call and write them

the dealers like that are never gonna change if we as consumers just let them get away with it. Let them know all about it and that you are not gonna put up with their bull.
dealers have more ways of scamming people it's unreal :rollem: ya have to be educated and right on top of them at all times:nailem:

good luck

BW from AZ
08-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Call your local tv station. they love to catch them on camera ripping people off.

Backbeach Jake
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Good call BW, my daughter burned a store that had a 10$ minimum. Went on "Help me Hank" It's illegal in MA to charge a minimun or a premium for Plastic card charges. It's also against the contract that the store has made with the card company. Hank would love burning that crook.

Swimmer
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
They charge for getting rid of the CAT convertor, but they get at $20.00 from the junk guy who comes by once a week to pick them up. Good for you. A letter to the local rags editorial page would be nice.

Backbeach Jake
08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
The cat has a decent core charge because of the platinum in it, they should pay the customer for it!

redcrbbr
08-30-2007, 10:53 AM
So let me get this straight...Your nationally recalled defective cat did damage to the rest of my exhaust system? Sounds like they are going to have to pay for that also. Bet that would shut them up in a hurry.

I have the same recall on the wifes jeep. thanks for the heads up.

JohnR
08-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Karl, nicely and calmly write down the entire transaction

Then, with timeline and facts straight, speak to the regions Jeep District Service Manager, explain the situation to him, as well as your previous problems with the dealers. He may send you to a different shop and put you in touch with the Service Manager - you should then at least get treated fairly.

Some shops just plain suck. I interviewed 15 years ago at a place in Norwood, that sold, lets say Urabus, that wanted every repair order listed with stuff, "upsell", practically regardless of how new, I did not take the job...