View Full Version : Recomendations for a kids "novice" setup

mekcotuit
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
My 13 year old niece is fast becoming a fanatic and I would like to get her a new rod and reel setup - not big bucks, $100 and under. She has had her current rod and reel about 4 years and it is getting worn - cracked reel seat, reel that is starting to jam up, etc. What do you recommend? She keeps a little log book of her catches and this year in salt, she has caught: 4 schoolies, 18 scup, 6 bluefish, 3 dogfish (she wrote down "baby sharks"). Pretty proud of herself! thanks!

JohnR
08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
You might be able to get a Shimano Sedona 4000 and an 8' tica for close to that. Not sure of the longevity of the reel

Slingah
08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
M.E. get her a 4 or 6000 Shimano Speros...and a Tica rod.....go see Pete Belsan or Mike at M&Ds.......

mekcotuit
08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks John - her current reel is the Sedona and it has lasted 4 years.....

I think I better go up near $150 then. I want her to keep on fishing!

JohnR
08-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Hehehe - then step up to at leas the Spheros ;) -0 which runs 40-50 or so more for the reel...

I really don't know what decent reels can be had for 50-75 bucks - I'm sure there aren't many spinners that can do that...

stripadan
08-27-2007, 04:49 PM
My 13 year old son uses all Sedonas and beats the heck out of them. Lots of fish and of decent size. It's expensive to buy decent tackle as he groes, but I'm happy with the Sedonas. I think two Sedonas over eight years is a better deal than one Spheros, knowing how hard kids can be on tackle.
I match them up to Tsunami rods. He has four set-ups from 7 foot schoolie up to 9 foot for eels and plugs. Should be able to rig up for $100-150 depending on size of outfit. And that is with an extra spool which the Spheros doesn't come with.
I'm very happy with the Tsunamis and use an 11 footer myself for plugging the Canal. Have not tried the Ticas, but many people on this site like them.

teezer
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I like the Tica and Spheros also. I use them on my boat for people who are not as careful as I am with the good stuff. These outfits have stood up to punishment and still perform very well.

I have taken school tuna on the outfit as well. The rods are forgiving when laid against a rail on the boat.