View Full Version : Max. weight in a 9"sluggo ?

fcap60
09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I fish my sluggos 2 different ways.

1. the way STeve McKenna promotes (rigged with 3 sluggo weights) and 2. just a single 8/0 Mustad front hook (sometimes I slip in a weight or 2).

My question is: what's the max amount of weight you add to these and still find them effective ?

steve
09-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I use 4 weights now. 3 forward and 1 in the tail. Much better casting than 3 weighted one but with the same action. I wouldn't go more than 4. I have tried 5 max with reduced action. If you need more weight, try a jig head. Also, the 12 inch Slug-go should be out shortly. It weighs 3 ounces stock and is a real fish catching machine and much more versatile than the 9 incher.

fcap60
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Steve:

I'm glad you responded

1. I've been waiting for those 12" sluggos and look forward to throwing them (with a conventional ?).

2. Where are you placing the 3rd (front) weight on the 9" ?
(i.e Bottom center between the 2 hooks ?) is what I was thinking about.

Thanks

steve
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
YES!

fcap60
09-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks Steve and happy hunting this fall !

numbskull
09-03-2007, 04:43 PM
How many fish do you guys average on a sluggo before it is torn up? I've had a hard time getting more than 2 fish, I presume because of how I insert the weights. Do you push the weights in along the front hook shank (1 on each side and one beneath)?

fcap60
09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Numbskull:

From my personal experience, 2 would probably be my average as well. However, at times I get 3-4 fish before I need to change on any given night. Other nights its 1 use per fish. So, 2 sounds like a reasonable average.

Of course, were talking about bass, not bluefish.

DJ Muller
09-04-2007, 06:18 AM
How many fish do you guys average on a sluggo before it is torn up? I've had a hard time getting more than 2 fish, I presume because of how I insert the weights. Do you push the weights in along the front hook shank (1 on each side and one beneath)?

I have had nights where I have gotten numerous bass on one Slug. When the action is hot the bass don't care. I have had the back hook pull and hanging out the back hole, I would just stick it back in and cast again and wal-la another fish. I have even had the back hook ripped off and kept using the Slug effectively. They take so long to rig and they work so well even damaged a bit I keep it on as long as possible. Probably if I carried a small Zap glue in my bag I could make one last even longer but...come on now you have to draw the line some where. :conf:

Steve don't forget to save me a couple packs of those 12" I'll see you in a couple weeks.

JFigliuolo
09-04-2007, 08:01 AM
More than you can imagine w/little or no reduced action. I've gone as high as 3/4 of an once.