View Full Version : Bluefish Recipe

Scotch Bonnet
08-30-2002, 09:38 PM
All you non-believers HAVE to give this a try. Even my kids love this recipe.

Charlestown BlackenedBlue

Ingredients:
Bluefish fillets
Olive oil
McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning(sold in the spice section)
Garlic Powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Preheat Sautee pan to "almost" high(90%)
(works better in a non teflon pan)
Brush fillets with olive oil(both sides)
Sprinkle with Steak Seasoning and Garlic Powder(both sides)
Place fillets in hot pan 5 minutes each side
Open windows, turn off smoke detector
Place pan in oven for 15 minutes
(if you have plastic handle pan transfer fish to baking dish for oven)

If you try this recipe once I gaurentee you'll always keep one Blue for the table.

redcrbbr
08-30-2002, 11:10 PM
bluefish recipe
The best recipe i have found for bluefish may be a little complicated.. dig a hole on the beach appx. 1-2 feet deep and build a fire, charcoal can be used. let it burn down to embers. next take your bluefish fillet, season with whatever spices that will float your boat, tightly wrap up in aluminum foil and lay it down on top of the hot coals, then cover with some rock weed and cover with the sand. after appx 45 minutes dig up the bluefish and unwrap.. discard the bluefish and eat the foil..
But seriously folks, essential to use the freshest possible bluefish bled of course(if you can leave them in the water while bleeding out, does a much nicer job.. fish trys to pump it out for ya). i actually will cover the fillets with salt for a few minutes, rinse and salt the fillets again for a few more minutes ( it helps to draw some of the oil from the flesh). have your grill going . I pat dry the fillets with a paper towel, and cover the fillets with lemon pepper (both sides). make sure you oil the grate on the grill , and
cook till done.. this recipe took me years of trying to figure out how to get rid of some of the gamey/oily taste of the bluefish...ENJOY

from a few posts ago

Duke41
08-31-2002, 09:47 AM
Ypu need a cast iron frying pan to do this right, although and frying pan will do. First put the frying pan over high heat. Then melt some butter in a pot. DO not put the butter intothe frying pan. Next cut up some bluefish fillets so they will fit into the frying pan. Dip the fillets completely both sides into the butter, then sprinkle canjun seasoning on both sides. Put the fillet into the frying pan do both sides until the seasoning is crusty and the fillets are cooked through. Now eat the pan. Just kidding it really does taste great. :)

STEVE IN MASS
08-31-2002, 01:09 PM
You'se guys!!!!....bluefish is great, and yes give me that gaminess, that oil and that darkmeat....it's the best part......

Okay.....have posted this before, but.....

When you catch your blue, gut it within about 15 minutes....unless you're busy with a blitz.....;)

Just slit the stomach, take out as much of the guts as you can, and wash it in the surf. Then as soon as you can, get it on ice. If it's gonna be awhile, bury it in the sand.

At home, scale the fish, and fillet it. LEAVE THE SKIN ON!

If not cooking it immediately, store it in the coldest part of your fridge.

Mix up a marinade......about 3 tablespoons of mayo, three teaspoons dijon mustard, a few crushed garlic cloves, a splash of Worstershire, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of white wine or lemon juice, some tarragon or oregeno, some Old Bay and/or paprika, some fresh ground pepper, a bit of olive oil. Mix it up to make a "dressing".

Take your fillets, and cut multiple slashes on the skin side, just thru the skin and about an 1/8 of inch into the meat. Put it in a pyrex tray, skin side up. Pour about 1/3 of the dressing over the top, and push it into the slashes.

Turn the fillets over, pierce all over with a fork, and pour on the rest of the dressing. Let sit in the fridge for at least an hour, up to three hours.

Get your grill nice and hot, and if you have a fish basket, get that hot too. Brush the grill or fish basket with olive oil so the fish won't stick. Put on the fillets, and turn and baste with the extra dressing every few minutes, about four or five times, for a total of about 15-20 minutes cooking time.

Then enjoy....and eat the dark meat, or else pass it to me.....;)......yummy......and all that Omega-3!!!!!!!

If ya can't use a grill, do the same thing, but scoop out the extra dressing, top with cracker crumbs and some butter, and bake in the pyrex tray at 425 for about 20 minutes.....

If you need to freeze it, treat the fish and fillet it as stated above. Put the fillet in a ziplock bag. Fill your sink with water. Close the ziplock almost all the way, just leaving the corner open. Carefully submerge the bag in the water, and it will push out all the air. Go slow so as not to get any water in the bag. Seal the last corner, dry off the bag and throw it in the freezer.

I have frozen 15 lb blues this way, and they are ALMOST just as good 4 months later as they are fresh. And they taste just as good as the small "eatin size" ones......

But then, that's me..........:), but I did this last week, and my wife said that she likes my bluefish better than any other fish I cook, which includes Striper, Mahi, Salmon, Flounder, etc....and whatever I might catch down in Hatteras when I'm there....

Squidhound
09-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Try this recipe, if you like Maryland style crab cakes. Boil blue fish fillets, flake the meat after patting dry on paper towel and use in place of crab meat in you favorite crab cake recipe.

Jenn
09-02-2002, 08:48 PM
mmmmmmm.......I myself have been totally hooked on the old bay lately....cant get enough of it!!!!

Open windows, turn off smoke detector

Scotch.....sounds good but...five minutes EACH SIDE??? and then another 15 in 400 degrees????? sounds kinda dry!!!! ;)

Scotch Bonnet
09-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Jenn, you gotta believe.................OK maybe check it after 10. When I cook I go buy instinct so my times may need tweekin. I will time it exactly for ya when I do it this week :D

redcrbbr
09-04-2002, 01:41 AM
SQUID.. THAT ACTUALLY SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA! oops sry bout the caps. i'll have to give that a try.

JohnR
09-04-2002, 07:52 AM
Squidhound, welcome to S-B :btu: ... But I don't think your blue recipe works with my favorite BlueCrab recipe from when I was a young teenage kid on the Chesapeke (from what all I remember).

Go down on Moon to shore parallel to pier. Have friend with net over pilons. Shoot BBs below crabs on pylon, when they scurry up, scoop with net (don't try to shoot crabs or friend with net)...

Seperate soft shells (the majority on the pylons during the moon). If have opportunity presents itself, sneak six pack of PBRs out of fridge and hide for friends... Throw crabs - shell, eyes, & all, on hot, very buttered cast iron skillet, a pinch of Old Bay, put between 2 peices of butter grilled bread and eat.

Ahhh - the good old days