View Full Version : Newport Chunkers

DJ Muller
09-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Does anyone know, or know of someone that knows, something about the Newport Chunkers of days past. I know Newport was at one time one of the great surf chunking areas on the coast but I am looking to gather a little more info on it's steeped history.

Any info would be appreciated.

basswipe
09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
You need to get in touch with DZ.He's a member here.

tattoobob
09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
writing a new book or an article for OTW?

DJ Muller
09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
writing a new book or an article for OTW?

Funny Bob :rotf3:......book :as:.

Basswipe-Done thanks.

joe the plumber
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I fished with a guy out at the Block.He was known as "Mark the Chunker".One hell of a fisherman.Made his living [and still does] as a lobsterman.He came from Newport caught alot of big fish there and many [some of which I witnessed] out at the island.Anyone reading this know him?

bart
09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
im sure you already know this but Joe Lyons would be a good person to contact

DJ Muller
09-06-2007, 05:37 AM
I fished with a guy out at the Block.He was known as "Mark the Chunker".One hell of a fisherman.Made his living [and still does] as a lobsterman.He came from Newport caught alot of big fish there and many [some of which I witnessed] out at the island.Anyone reading this know him?

Joe-I met Mark out there last June, he was...chunking :rollem:. He was doing quite well as a matter of fact on chunks, I'm pretty sure he was using squid. We had a slow hit on arties on a NE wind while he hit em solid. Once the wind switched the action turned on for us.
I don't know why more people don't chunk-it is a good way to catch big fish consistently.

RIROCKHOUND
09-06-2007, 07:04 AM
mark is a good fisherman. but most of the Newport chunkers I know (grew up there) are ghosts, they don't like press or notoriety.... good luck though. If anyone was the one to as it would be DZ

DJ Muller
09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
mark is a good fisherman. but most of the Newport chunkers I know (grew up there) are ghosts, they don't like press or notoriety.... good luck though. If anyone was the one to as it would be DZ

Thanks Bryan.

RIROCKHOUND
09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
You might have better luck writing about black ops CIA... FYI :D

Pete_G
09-06-2007, 06:51 PM
You might have better luck writing about black ops CIA... FYI :D

Hehe, very true...

joe the plumber
09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
DJ-Ahh,Block Island during a Northeast blow.One great night of fishing and then 2 days of card playing and lost work and that famous "brown ring" around the island.

Pete_G
09-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Point Jude Joe would probably be a good contact too.

Krispy
09-07-2007, 03:26 AM
that famous "brown ring" around the island.
3oz parrot needlefish

Joe
09-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Don't know much about chunking or chunkers. Chunkers scare me...

Pt.JudeJoe
09-07-2007, 09:12 AM

:spidey: BOO!

ThrowingTimber
09-07-2007, 09:25 AM
DJ good sources of info would be: Chuck Vietri of the anglers art in newport. I doubt they'll even let you LOOK at them let alone use them in a publication but the make a call to whomever keeps the historical records over at the clam bake club.

:hidin:

DJ Muller
09-08-2007, 02:06 PM
DJ good sources of info would be: Chuck Vietri of the anglers art in newport. I doubt they'll even let you LOOK at them let alone use them in a publication but the make a call to whomever keeps the historical records over at the clam bake club.

:hidin:

Timba-I got some excellecent sources from DZ. I was up there in June BS'n w/him and he was running some of the techniques of yesteryear past me as we looked over some of the old bass stands at Brenton Point. He shared stories that he heard of and they were fascinating to say the least. Some very good theories were put into action and worked...well awesome!!! I have found that a lot of the aging sharpshooters seem to soften as they run on in years, I guess they realize that they can not do it like they once did and feel it is possibly there last shot to pass on something that was really effective and borders on existinction...if you will.

I mean the way I see it first came Newport then Cuttyhunk, Newport seems to be an area where a lot of the striper surf fishing really began. Of those I talk to about the days of old, they refer to the Newport chunkers as the best and as the trendsetters.
The bass clubs on the islands may well have been to escape the women (wives):lasso: of the day. It makes logical sense! :huh:

DJ Muller
09-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Joe-do big fish scare you??
This one didn't scare me...a chunk fish...:gu: :wavey:

Joe
09-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Not afraid of big fish. You're a nice chunker....