View Full Version : rod butt

nightprowler
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I have a rod butt (end cap) that has worn through (I have a bum knee so have been using the rod to steady myself on the rocks the last couple of weeks)...
what is the best way to remove and replace?
I was thinking about taking a razor blade to it and trying to peel it off, but I'm concerned that the cork tape will come with it. I didn't really want to replace all of the tape, but I certainly can.
Thanks

spence
09-06-2007, 09:19 AM
If you can't pull it off I'd just cut it carefully...or just swing by CMS on your way to work and have them put a new one on ;)

-spence

nightprowler
09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
If you can't pull it off I'd just cut it carefully...or just swing by CMS on your way to work and have them put a new one on ;)

-spence
anyone that might actually know care to answer?:jester::hidin:

spence
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
This isn't rocket science :smokin:

-spence

nightprowler
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
this is very true. but being a scientist i have to make it more difficult than it actually is.:nailem: :wave:

SeaWolf
09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
your best bet is to bring the rod to your local tackle shop that may have some rod building supplies, such as butt caps. that way you can get the correct size cap once the old one is removed. that is if they assist in removing it. they are typically glued on, but not always.

i dont know if the rod's lower grip is cork tape, eva, or cork ring, so i'm assuming a lot here. you can try and ease into the old butt cap w/ a razor blade and start to cut it off. once you get thru a piece you should be able to see what, if anything, is under the butt cap. then, either keep going w/ the razor blade, or take a screw driver and try to break the adhesive. then turn it or pull it off. if it's just the blank under it, you're all set. take a measurement in metric millimeter and/or english inch of the size of the butt of the rod where you just took off the butt cap. now, go buy a butt cap w/ an ID equal to, but not larger than that measurement. i suggest the fuji brc or brcgc butt caps, especially if you use the butt as a cane. these butt caps come in 19, 22, and 25 mm ID. you can also buy the end caps for chair feet at a local hardware store. they are in english measurements, but dont last nearly as long.

stripersnipr
09-10-2007, 05:15 PM

-spence

I've built and/or repaired more rods than I count and I'd do exactly what Spence described. (Except for the bring it to CMS part).

Redsoxticket
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Twist the cap in the same direction as the tape.

spence
09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I've built and/or repaired more rods than I count and I'd do exactly what Spence described. (Except for the bring it to CMS part).
Let the record stand, my advice was true :smokin:

-spence

redfin
09-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Twist the cap in the same direction as the tape.

Sound advice. I'll add my .02 cents here...I like the Fuji butt caps myself but if you're using the butt as a walking staff of sorts, a crutch cap would serve you well. Any medical supply store(if there's one local to you) should have a good selection. In the event the cap is too large, you can build up the butt with an extra layer of cork tape.