View Full Version : Ok...another moronic question.......

Bob Thomas
09-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Tired of my questions yet? ;)

Here's the situation....old XP computer croaked. Appears to be something wrong with motherboard as it is slower than molasses on a 20 degree below zero day. Hard drive appears to be working fine. I put it in an enclosure and was able to retrieve most of my data. However, I was not able to retrieve all my emails. Tried putting it back in the old machine to see if I could get them downloaded to a CDR but after 29 hours, it was only on message 72 out of about 500. Something really wrong with that blasted computer.

SO.....is there a way to extract the Outlook Express emails I had and get them into the Vista (M$ Mail) or am I hosed? I tried searching but everything I see relates to using the old machine and running outlook express which I cannot seem to do on this Vista machine.

Thanks again..........sorry for the rampant posts

ThrowingTimber
09-07-2007, 05:28 PM
outlook functions with a .pst file and another one that will be right next to it thats also just a 3 letter file name maybe .pab the name escapes me.

Burn the .pst file to a cd. It should be pretty big with that many emails in there.

Go to your new machine where you have outlook installed and swap the file off the cd, with the .pst you currently have in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.pst

That one was easy man make 'em tougher. :bl:

Bob Thomas
09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Timber.........

That .pst and .pab file...are they also in MS Mail? I've got MS Mail now with the Vista.

Sounds easy enough...will hafta try it. THanks

MrHunters
09-08-2007, 05:58 AM
i may be wrong but OE does not use .pst files, those are specific to outlook.
go to this location on your hard drive (it wont be C: if your mounting as a slave.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun(whatever you profile name is)\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{03C43F01-97E6-45CF-B920-AB682DF6A808}(this will be different)\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

copy that folder off... and see if you can import the contents into ms mail.

hope that helps.

Bob Thomas
09-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the help, folks....

Mr. Hunters...that path is just what I needed to see/trace. I was able to extract the information. It dawned on me that I had OE6 at work so I just imported them all to that, then extracted to a new folder. Now I just have to copy to the MS Mail which seems pretty easy.

Thanks again! Saved me a TON of time and headaches!

MrHunters
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
glad i could help bob. :kewl:

-shaun

Raven
09-13-2007, 05:04 PM
gets all the fun :bc:

MrHunters
09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
gets all the fun :bc:

wish i could give you some of my work fun.

i want to post some angry emails i get on a daily basis...at least people here thank you for helping.