View Full Version : Storing with ethanol gas

UserRemoved1
09-09-2007, 07:56 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ProfessorM
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Personally I will drain my tank bone dry like last year and start fresh next year. Worked last year and will do again this year. I dump the whole 50 gal. tank out into containers and use in snowblower and lawn mower, it is easily accessible. I put a new Racor filter in this spring and add Startron every fill up and have had no problems. God I hope I did not jinx myself now.

striperman36
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
what is startron?

Gary
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
At the marinas i have worked at, i usualy try to run all of the fuel out and refil with stabaliser and new fuel, dead nut full, also run some of the stablised fuel thru the lines and engine. as for the stabliliser i use stor-n-start or startron

ProfessorM
09-10-2007, 07:56 AM
I take the whole tank out and tip upside down and it is bone dry. Very simple for me to do. No vapors,liquids, etc. I leave it out side with screens on fill and vent holes. I understand it is not feasible for most to do. I am lucky I have easy access to my 50 gal. tank. In and out no problem. Now if I could just get trailer wheel bearings to last. Had a horror show last week. Always carry extras. I learned the hard way.

This Bill. Startron. Seems to help and not very expensive. http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1538

macojoe
09-10-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't even think about it, I just throw stabil in what ever I had left at the end of the seaon, and start running in the spring, Have never had a problem yet.

But thats in 3 seprate tanks, two 20 gal tanks and one 25 gal tank. All have been removed at one time and cleaned.

Now the new boat has one 115 gal tank!! I don't want to fill it to go fishing let alone to sit for the winter!

Gary
09-10-2007, 08:24 AM
ProfessorM,
If you are having trouble with your wheel bearings, start using Lubrication Engineers grease. It can not mix with water. Check out there website www.le-inc.com there is probably a distributor in your area. If not I have lots of it

macojoe
09-10-2007, 08:37 AM
I pull my wheels every fall, take all bearings out was with degrease and repack, reinstall. I use marine grease and have had the same bearings for 7 years on the old trailer, and 4 years on the new trailer.

Its all about Maintenance baby!!

ProfessorM
09-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I always do the same. Every year. Don't know what happened. Worst part is I had fish to sell and it made for a long day. I had to trow all the fish on someones lawn and then get coolers off boat and into truck and reload. They were very nice about it. I was too tired to be pissed though and after going into Hyannis and getting parts i rebuilt it on the side of the road, races and all. I will carry extras from now on. I am a graduate of the school of hard knocks, I always learn the hard way. P.

ProfessorM
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
It is nice being able to get it out. I am able to clean out underneath it too which is where all the crap goes from the deck. I usually tailer 80 miles round trip so I need to keep them in good condition. I will change them every year now regardless. Not going thru that again. These ones were 3 years old. My friend was bragging he never even checks his trailer bearings since he got boat. I said yeah but you only trailer 3 miles big deal.

Van
09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
It is nice being able to get it out. I am able to clean out underneath it too which is where all the crap goes from the deck. I usually tailer 80 miles round trip so I need to keep them in good condition. I will change them every year now regardless. Not going thru that again. These ones were 3 years old. My friend was bragging he never even checks his trailer bearings since he got boat. I said yeah but you only trailer 3 miles big deal.

I learned my lesson 35 years ago and bought "bearing buddies". I have never opened or burned another bearing since. Just add fresh grease every time you launch. I used to only trailer, when I was younger. Yes it pushes out the back after a while and gets grease on the fender and maybe a bit on the boat, so what, just wash it off, its worth it. They also sell a rubber seal (bearing buddy bra) for the front of the buddy that helps keep splatter to a minimum.

ProfessorM
09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I have always used both. I am thinking the bearings just gave out. It was not for a lack of grease. I think failure of the materials. All these parts are made in china now and you never know what kind of metal and the hardness of the balls and races,etc. they are using.

Van
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I have always used both. I am thinking the bearings just gave out. It was not for a lack of grease. I think failure of the materials. All these parts are made in china now and you never know what kind of metal and the hardness of the balls and races,etc. they are using.

Strange, I have tested hundreds of bearings from jet engines to diesel generators. Never saw a difference in manufacturing. Also "Made in China"does have the same meaning as it did years ago.
But it sure is still a possibility, strange though. My buddy just bought a new trailer (EZ load) ld one was an 87' and he never threw a bearing trailering from Plymouth to Quincy once a week.(for 20 yrs) Now he has a new EZ loader 2 seasons no issues (YET).

Now that we went off the subject, I am more confused than ever on what to do with my fuel tank this winter. I had pump problems this season, but I don't know if it was fuel related.
I burned the tank as low as I could and stabablized. I don't worry about condensation. I think its more likely to develop sitting in the water all summer with hot days and cool nights than in the winter covered in my driveway.

I still don't know what I will do this winter. But I do know I don't want to think about it right now !!!!!:wall: