View Full Version : Mmmmmm.... lobster.

tlapinski
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Got a chance to check these out in person this past weekend. VERY interesting! I think they are about 6" long, and weigh a few ounces, unrigged. I have been wanting something like this to come out for a while. :drool:

http://www.hogylures.net/hogylobsters.jpg

mikecc
09-10-2007, 07:48 PM
had them last year . look great but cost way to much

tlapinski
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Mike, that was one thing I didn't think to ask. What are they looking to go retail?

Raider Ronnie
09-10-2007, 07:55 PM
How would one rig a live lobster for bass ?

nightfighter
09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
How would one rig a live lobster for bass ?

With your checkbook handy, to pay the fines!
But, every lobster I have found in the belly of a fish, after cleaning, leads me to believe the fish swallow them tail first.

Clogston29
09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
bass don't eat lobster

pbadad
09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
That looks like the tail petruding???

Clogston29
09-11-2007, 07:02 AM
yup, that's the tail protruding to this one was eaten head first. That fish was probably in the mid 30# range (released) and it looked like a good size lobster. I think they take them how they can, head or tail first. Tail first seems like it would be easier for them to swallow though - I don't know that the bigger fish care.

T-Lap, are those the hogy's? There's another guy who makes some. Kind of gimicky looking, with hooks in the claws. I bought one just to have it. Goes about 6 oz's or so. I should throw it and see what it does. I'll PM you a link to the website if I can rember the name of the guy.

Finaddict
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
I think if you put them on a PT Jude Wobblehead, they'd get the action you are looking for. Hook it in the tail and then just retrieve.

The Dad Fisherman
09-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I would think on something like that you wouldn't want action.....just slowly jig it along the bottom.

maybe even slice 1/2 way through it around the tail and put the hook/weight in the body....that way when you speed it up the tail would flip underneath like its trying to get away.

Finaddict
09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
I would think on something like that you wouldn't want action.....just slowly jig it along the bottom.

maybe even slice 1/2 way through it around the tail and put the hook/weight in the body....that way when you speed it up the tail would flip underneath like its trying to get away.

That's the benefit of the Wobblehead by PT Jude. You can work it at any pace in any manner you chose fit and vary the retrieve until you find something that works. jig it - retrieve it - pause ... options are endless.

goosefish
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd think a football head would work well with this. Maybe 3/4 of an once or so. I'd fish it like the smallmouth guys--lift and then let the jig rest on the bottom. The jig head would have to be an upright head, so that when the jig is at rest the hook isn't laid over on its side. I've often dreamed of this method in the rocks for stripers. Sure, there'd be heavy donations, but I couldn't think of a more fun way to hook a big bass.

The Dad Fisherman
09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Not saying there's anything wrong with the wobblehead, I personally think they're great....I just wouldn't use it on that. I'd rig it like Goosefish is saying (1 or 1.5 oz), jig it just like the Sweetwater guys do when they are jigging around the pads.....Lift, let it sink, lift, let it sink.....and I would try and find some way of wrapping that tail underneath so it looks more natural on the Lift and Fall.

If I'm going to use a wobblehead I want it for the wobble.....don't want wobble for one of those.

Just My Thoughts on it.......

Finaddict
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
yeah ... well just remember this is an area that's pretty shallow with rocks so it's unlikely that you will be able to get an up and down motion in the rocks from the shore ... not particularly feasible, so you need to do the next best thing ... and it doesn't matter what jig head you use, you can vary all the same ...

But this is all moot for me as I will be fishing eels, plugs and the artificial eels unweighted ... so enjoy your pondering

The Dad Fisherman
09-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Who said we are talking about Cutty???? You got that Tunnel-Vision thing Going

I'm thinking of some certain rocky shorelines in our area.....plenty deep to get some up and down. :humpty:

Throw 3-4 oz. on and bounce the bottom of the ditch too...

Rockport24
09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
the lobster thing always comes up, but the fact is live eels work and are readily available, so why bother with a fake lobster that is probably going to just get hung up on the bottom anyway?

The Dad Fisherman
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
"Variety is the Spice of Life"

Eels may work but jigging up a big girl off the bottom with something like that would be cool :kewl:

Why bother with Popper and Spooks......because its awesome when a big gal Slams the surface for it.

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Rockport24
09-11-2007, 04:36 PM
it would be cool, but I wouldn't jig the bottom of a rocky spot with a $20 dollar plug, so I wouldn't do it with a $20 lobster either

MartinD18
09-11-2007, 05:03 PM
$20??? I think it's more like under $10. A jig head would at a bit but not much. whatever.

mikecc
09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
$20??? I think it's more like under $10. A jig head would at a bit but not much. whatever.

The price Hogy Lures ( Mike ) told me was well over $10. for the lobster.

tlapinski
09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
T-Lap, are those the hogy's?

Yep, those are the Hogys.

RIROCKHOUND
09-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Mike from Hogy had sent me some...
I tried em at Plan B...
They worked OK as far as swimming, action etc..
but I think the buoyancy vs. lead needed makes em too light in a current...
didnt catch %$%$%$%$, but didnt give them a great shot. maybe I'll bust em out this fall...

Clogston29
09-12-2007, 09:50 AM
they seam over the top to me, too much detail and therefore too much cost for what they are.

I feel like a bucktail, grub on a jig head, darter, bomber (if its shallow enough), needlefish, etc. can all be presented in a way that a bass looking for lobster would go after, at least as much as it would go after a rubber lobster - the real thing is obviously a different matter.

Rockport24
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
agreed Josh, and for around $20 you can go buy a live lobster and use it!!!

MakoMike
09-12-2007, 12:29 PM
If you want to imitate a lobster, why not just use a crayfish?

Rockport24
09-12-2007, 12:37 PM
$4.99 for 4 or these at cabela's
for all I know though, it could be the size of a penny

Rockport24
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
or what about these!!