View Full Version : Albies????

The Dad Fisherman
09-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Any suggestions for some good lures to throw for Albies and Bone? want to be prepared, just in case, this weekend

reelecstasy
09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&, green reflector :cool:

fishbones
09-12-2007, 11:46 AM
deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&, green reflector :cool:

Also, the blue reflector DD will work. I've had them hit small Acme Kastmasters and I'm sure the Pt. Jude A-34 and Pojee will work, too.

MakoMike
09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Youzuri crystal minnows, the smallest you can find and cast. Or a tuna fly, if you don't use a fly rod, use a hookless plug three feet in front of it.

Marc Z
09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
The Hammer 1oz

ProfessorM
09-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I have still not caught one yet so what the hell do I know but i hope at least one of these will do the job eventually.

Biteme
09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Chased them for six hours a couple of weeks ago, they where everywhere. I talked to another boat and the only thing that seemed to be working was a small castmaster, which we didn't have. The peanuts they where feeding on had to be about an inch long. Good luck

Pt.JudeJoe
09-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Point Jude Sandeels and Po-jees get em. :humpty:Pete G has a nice photo in his shop computer of Earl the "Duke of Bass" with a nice Albie on a Sandeel ...from shore!

bart
09-12-2007, 02:55 PM
FWIW, i dropped one on a 2oz kastmaster yesterday

Squibby17
09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I was going to suggest the Green deadly #^&#^&#^&#^& as well.

The past few years the maria's have been popular too, you can cast them a bit further than the deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s

Mr. Sandman
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Bizzare fish. Some days they take jigs and flies and other days you cast into giant schools and find it hard to believe they ton't touch it.

When this happens...try blind casting away from the blitz, seek out the lone soldier.

Amazing fight from the shore. Spooled a stella 5000 to the knot yesterday, it was unreal.

I like the yo-zuri hydrometal in blue, if you can find it.

I agree it can be maddening when blitzing schools ignore your offering. I heard a quote from an experienced fly fishermen that said, "today I had more direct casts right into breaking fish then I have had in the last 5 years combined and came up empty....I tried everything too." The next day, in the same spot, everyone was catching them :huh:

The Dad Fisherman
09-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Professor.....I'm bringing one of your SS needles with me for just that reason.

I'll pick up a couple of Deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s today to throw in the bag

numbskull
09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I use flies, and think they work better for albies, but if you are going to use lures, the best one I've found by a wide margin is this little yozuri plug. Not sure what it is called, but it works better than crystal minnows in my experience. You won't be casting it from shore, however. For that I'd try the yozuri jig in the picture. I think the problem with metal for blitzing albies is that it sinks out of the strikezone too fast (or is pulled out of the zone too fast if you try to keep it on top). As Sandman points out, you can often do better blind casting with metal to get deeper swimming fish rather than flail away at busting schools that are focusing on bait within inches of the surface.

cow tamer
09-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Prof M
Might be worth trying without the bucktail.

Tsunami and other narrow profile rubber does the trick too !

Scud jigs and swedish pimples as well.

Swimmer
09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Hawg Island stinger type metal with a chartreuse teaser whose name I can't mention because it would be SPAM. Two years ago on the vineyard of the first 25 albies I caught 17 were on the teaser.

One more thing, when flyfishing I use a small white flie that is deadly. The same flie doesn't fish as well as a teaser, but it works really well on the end on my Sage rod.

rphud
09-12-2007, 06:11 PM
I will be bringing some flies you can use as teasers ahead of whatever gives you weight/distance. Will touch base with you there.

Bob Huddy

moosh
09-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I have great luck with a green needle fish the thinest and smallest one you can . but you have to pretty much stick it right in front of them they are a funny bunch..I have caught two in the last three days Ive gone out..the one the other day was 11.5lbs the one before that was a 8lber my first ..I hope its not Bginners luck ..

Pete_G
09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
On the rocks...

Finaddict
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Nice work on those albies from the rocks

jeffsod
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I have had caught them on an all white 2oz polaris popper on more than one occasion.

gone fishin
09-13-2007, 07:49 PM
K - I have had sucess with Crippled Herring - Cast well ahead and reel like hell....:jump:

JohnR
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
First one I ever got was on a hot pink Hab's Canal Needlefish (the long one with the extra slug of lead in the ass end).

Pt.JudeJoe
09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
On the rocks...
Attached Thumbnails
That's salty ole Earl on the left with a fine Albie on a 1 1/4 oz. Point Jude Sandeel.:cheers:

dang pictures didn't come thru!

Slipknot
09-14-2007, 06:01 AM
A fat albert from the rocks :btu: that's a great accomplishment.
I've never caught one from boat or shore not even a bonito, I have seen bones in the canal, those are some fast fish.
I'll have my PJ pojee out on cutty but without the right rod, I doubt I'll catch one, but I'll try just in case.

fish4striper
09-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I have still not caught one yet so what the hell do I know but i hope at least one of these will do the job eventually.

damn, they look good, they gotta work

tie on a teaser fly, my last couple hit the fly

bone jumpin minnow, 6" white sluggo worked last weekend

Brother Brian
09-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Ava's in the 007 (1 oz) and 005 (1/2 oz) size.

ThomCat
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I've had a good deal of luck casting small Krocadiles and Swedish Pimples. On the troll I like Storm Swim Shads, 3 & 4", in Bunker. Whichever you use, a 20 to 30lb. flouro leader will significantly better your odds. :as:

striperman36
09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Agree with the ThomCat, any of those lures with 20 LB Fluoro in the right place get'sem

This year the one's with the sliver holographic tape is working da balls for me. I have plundered several WalMarts.

Haven't tried trolling yet tho

fish4striper
09-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Also on the troll, blue and olive back windcheaters

cast them also for their bigger cousin :wiggle:

striperman36
09-14-2007, 11:58 AM

None of those would work. Unless I cast them :bl::bl:

eastendlu
09-14-2007, 12:08 PM

If you send me one the albies and spanish are at my beach and i'll hook some for you.:buds:

johnny ducketts
09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Went 4 for 5 on the Albies in Buzzard's bay today. They were everywhere, but would stay up for only one or two casts. Today's best lures were 3/4 oz silver crippled herring, and 1/2 oz green abalone braid jig. The 5th one chased after the crippled herring and cut me off as I was reeling in. Also was not using any swivels. I was using 10lb flourocarbon attached to 15 lb red cajun line. Tied on all my lures with palomar knots. My buddy had 2 but 1 bent the treble out and the other one got the line wrapped in the prop. I can't believe the power and speed of these guys. I seriously need a boat now. They all looked to be 10-12 lbs.

zacs
09-14-2007, 09:05 PM
i was chasing them in buzzards bay this evening as well, and it was a major PIA. They would only stay up for a second, never enough time to cast on them. The one time they broke out right next to the boat I had an equipment malfunction..... ugh.

ridler72
09-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Albies!!!!!!!!!!

Zooms in pearl on 4/0 worm hook to make weedless has been my number one. One Zoom Last's about one Albie, but at 3 bucks a pack of ten, a bargain.

Most of the Albies I have seen have been in the 8lb range. Yesterday had larger ones mixed in. Kayak Power. :lasso:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzesypzi/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Cnv0438.jpg

ProfessorM
09-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Those are awesome. A member is going to try and get me into some next week maybe. Would you say you need to upgrade the hooks on most of the small metals you throw at them?
Anytime Lu. Pm your addy.

RIROCKHOUND
09-15-2007, 10:32 AM
i was chasing them in buzzards bay this evening as well, and it was a major PIA. They would only stay up for a second, never enough time to cast on them. The one time they broke out right next to the boat I had an equipment malfunction..... ugh.

Thats why I say F__ em.
Stick with bass...
friggin yuppie-Orvis fish anyways :D:D:D

I dont chase em, but I know the feeling Zacs, last year I was really ontop of keeping a spin rod rigged for them if they popped up while I was fluking.

finally ran into them, and only had rods rigged for eels....

Pt.JudeJoe
09-15-2007, 11:23 AM
"Thats why I say F__ em.
Stick with bass...
friggin yuppie-Orvis fish anyways "

I AM HAVIN A HEART ATTACK LAUGHIN HERE.:rotf2:

Swimmer
09-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Thats why I say F__ em.
Stick with bass...
friggin yuppie-Orvis fish anyways :D:D:D

I dont chase em, but I know the feeling Zacs, last year I was really ontop of keeping a spin rod rigged for them if they popped up while I was fluking.

finally ran into them, and only had rods rigged for eels....

:rotflmao:No, actually frieking yuppie SAGE fish.:bl:

Pete_G
09-15-2007, 03:39 PM
You guys ((RI Rockhound, PJ Joe, Swimmer) are just jealous that I roll out of bed at the crack of 9am, smash a dozen of them, and then I'm back on the couch by 1 pm.

We've had clients that picked up a fly rod for the first time catching a 1/2 dozen or more in a 6 hour charter...

You need to try harder. :hihi:

Yuppie fish... :smokin: Anything that breaks light tackle always has my interest... :point:

ProfessorM, definitely upgrade those hooks. Little VMC trebles or single Owners, Gamakatsu, or whatever you have lying around will do the trick.

Goose
09-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Re#^&#^&#^&#^&uless schools out there(it was nutts), threw into um for 4 hours, wouldn't hit a friggen thing.:splat:

RIROCKHOUND
09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Pete_G;525167]You guys ((RI Rockhound, PJ Joe, Swimmer) are just jealous that I roll out of bed at the crack of 9am, smash a dozen of them, and then I'm back on the couch by 1 pm.

We've had clients that picked up a fly rod for the first time catching a 1/2 dozen or more in a 6 hour charter...

You need to try harder. :hihi:

Nah.
I gave up long ago.
Brute force fishing is more my style.
light tackle and finesse do not fit for me :liquify:
I'll leave the glory fish to you guys :D