View Full Version : Looking to get into some striper action...

MountainBreeze
09-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Greetings Folks,

I am a large-mouth basser' lookin' to get into a little striper / blues action off a local pier (Old Saybrook, CT).

I currently fish a St. Croix 6'8", Medium weight, XFast action rod with a Quantum Accurist ACS baitcasting reel for tops and cranks.

I'm wondering what a good rod / reel would be for the pier. I would assume a 6'8" rod to be too long, the Medium weight should probably go to a Medium Heavy and the XFast action to fast but, I'm not sure. Also, I have no idea what type of reel to use. Maybe a spinning reel would be better that a baitcaster.?.?

How about line and lures. I'd rather not use live bait. I like to cast and work a lure. ;)

Any info you folks could throw my way will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Rob

JohnR
09-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Welcome to S-B!

I know roughly where you're talking about but I've never fished it before...

As for what's better, spinning or BC? I'm partial to the baitcasters but I guess it depends on what & where you want to throw. Also you may be able to use a smaller SW baitcaster in some freshwater apps and have a dual purpose reel - something like an ABU 5500/6500 ... 7' rods are on the small side for anything other than small bass & blues from the beach. Most are using 8' and up rods...

Is this going to be a rare thing? Or when you get a sweet fish on and get hooked, are you going to turn into a saltwater junkie like the rest of us?

MountainBreeze
09-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply John!

I am also partial to the baitcasters, as you can tell from my fresh-water outfit.

You are the second person that mentioned the ABU 6500 and a min of a 7' rod.

I would say that this would be a once-and-a-while thing as I really love castin' for large mouths. I plan on picking up a St. Croix 6'6", Medium, Fast rod and another casting reel in the spring for throwing worms and deeper spinners.

That being said, I would like to get a middle-of-the-road outfit for the pier / shores, an idea of line, leaders and spoons or other casting lures.

Thanks again for any feedback!

Regards,
Rob

Jenn
09-03-2002, 11:25 PM
Is this going to be a rare thing? Or when you get a sweet fish on and get hooked, are you going to turn into a saltwater junkie like the rest of us?

John???? some people can enjoy the best of BOTH worlds ya know!!!!!!;)

mtnbrz1......I picked up a 6'med-fast st.cr this spring (I prefer spinning) for fresh water and WISH I could bring it with me to the salt........I love it so much.....but I KNOW SANTA wants to bring me a Ben for xmas!!!!!...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but for the beach I have an eight foot daiwa sealine X that has been very versatile (and fairly inexpensive BTW) I can get better distance with it than my larger rods....cast all day and not get tired.....and it can handle anything from the soft plastics to 2-3oz lures & bucktails (not to mention being pounded into the sand a time or two....oops) and 14-17 pound test is more than suffice!

JohnR
09-04-2002, 07:43 AM
14-17 is good from the beach but too light when in the presence of bigger fish and rocks...

I've heard the Sealine is a good rod for less money than going custom...

MountainBreeze
09-04-2002, 08:57 AM
The more I look into this salt water gear... The more I think I'd like to go with a spinning rig.

How about mounting a Daiwa Emblem-Z-A Surf Reel on an 8' Daiwa Sealine-X Surf Rod?

Maybe 15 lb line, to be on the safe side.?.?

Would this be an ok combo for fishing from shore? (Beach, dock/pier, rocks)

Thanks again folks,
Rob

BTW:
Should I use a leader and what type of lures / lure weight should I use for blues / stripers?

jsox21
09-04-2002, 11:45 PM
I have a daiwa sealine surf and it is a fantastic rod, takes the punishment of the canal with no problem and is very light and casts a great distance, rather affordable as well

Joe
09-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Last time I checked, everyone who lived in Connecticut within an easy commute to the Rhode Island south shore was fishing in Westerly and Charlestown. (Just check the license plates at the Weekapaug Breachway and you will get my drift.)
My advice to you would be not be to spend too much before you know what you are doing, salt-wise.
I think, after a short time on your local pier, you will find that Connecticut pier fishing pales in comparison to the surf and inlet fishing available to you in RI – particularly during the upcoming fall run. Then you will find that a pier set-up is not a good surf outfit, and it will collect dust.
I suggest you get a Penn 6500 and a cheapo rod. Put off the purchase of an expensive rod until next year, after you have done more saltwater fishing. You can always sell the reel on a message board or on Ebay – but I bet you will find it more than sufficient. Surfcasting beginners tend to overstate the importance of what they can purchase. It’s not like buying a car – the value of high quality gear will not be immediately noticeable to a novice. I’ve guided people with St. Croix rods and Shimano reels who can’t cast for crap and don’t know the first thing about reading the water.
You are better off buying an instructional book, like Daignault’s Striper Surf or Woolner & Lyman's Striped Bass Fishing, than anything else.
Good Luck – Joe