View Full Version : how much longer?

gilligan
09-03-2002, 03:39 PM
although i have had only one good day so far this year i have still been having a blast. i got to thinking today when they (stripers) would be gone for the season and i realized that i ALWAYS ended my season on oct 1 . lately i have been reading that they can still be found as late as december. is this true? from what ive heard they "fatten up" for the migration and that the later in the year the better chances one has to catch the "cow". is that true? and last but not least would i be better off in the rivers (back river and fore river) or heading out and looking for them in the outer harbor area (brewster island, deer island etc)
thanks for your time, replys.

CowHunter
09-03-2002, 05:35 PM
October is the best month for Rhody in my opinion, November is also very good. Both of those months you have a shot at a real large fish. As far as how late you can fish.....My last trip to Rhody last year was December 14! And I still caught Bass. Also, I love how alot of guys think they have to wait till the fall to have a blast, June was awesome this year, July wasn't as good, averaged about 11 fish a night, August on the other hand rocked this year. I had nights in August that many people won't even come close to this fall!!!
Good luck this Fall

gilligan
09-03-2002, 06:22 PM
only about 11 fish a night. are you kidding me. need a chum guy? wow my best night this year landed 4 total boatwide, all keepers but thats about it all season. got plenty of advice from s-b members on where,when and how but havn't had much to report. I would love to be a second mate for any charter captain who needs me free of charge. i can cut chum like no other(hehe).honestly though if anyone ever needs a hand on a trip that can give a little knowledge back, i will be your bait chumming,line pulling,fish netting or whatever the heck you want me to do guy.i just want to learn! the offer shall stand. any one who may be interested pm me and ill gladly give you my phone# for future reference.

gilligan
09-03-2002, 06:25 PM
by no means does that discredit those who have given me advice

Van
09-03-2002, 06:55 PM
MS:

In our area I usually fish until late October.
There could be a good fall run, and if the peanut bunker show well, all hell will break loose.
Don't put that boat away just yet!!!!!:D

CowHunter
09-03-2002, 08:29 PM
ms5712, that was all off the surf eelin'. Trust me in the summer months eelin' is the only way to go. Gotta cover alot of water and find the fish. August my best night size wise was 17 fish, mostly mid-high teens and 8 between 20-25lbs. That was in a 4 hour period until I ran out of eels by 2am! most nights this past August I came close to 20 fish a night....Honestly, you can have some banner nights if you work hard to find the fish. One of the keys is to get out to fish areas that are really treacherous and alot of work to fish, heck 9-10 times I'm swimmin'. Know the water, tides, and area real well...Find the bait!

CowHunter
09-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Man, suprised how many guys stop fishing Rhody by the end of October. I admit, November can be SLOWWWW...But when you hit the fish it is a blast. I think I actually got skunked one night last August! Maybe....November is a good month.