View Full Version : Head of the Meadow parking lot closed

Karl F
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Head of the Meadow parking lot closed
By Provincetown Banner
September 19, 2007
TRURO — Tourists come to the National Seashore to see the sand dunes, and nothing must get in their way, not even a sand dune. So when a particular dune started causing trouble at Head of the Meadow Beach, the Seashore girded for battle.

“The barrier dune was kind of covering up the parking lot,” said the Seashore’s chief of maintenance, Ben Pearson.

A major renovation project began this week is expected to take care of the problem once and for all.

On Monday, Seashore officials closed the Head of the Meadow parking lot so that it can be repaved, regraded and reconfigured over the next few months. The project will cost approximately $700,000 and will preserve the public access that has typically been available at the lot, Pearson said.

He explained that in order to keep the barrier dune from subsuming the lot, another sand dune had to be created to block the troublemaking dune’s advance. “A couple of years ago we sort of removed part of the parking lot to go ahead and have a secondary dune establish itself,” he said.

The parking spaces that were lost in the process will be restored in the upcoming renovation project. To make room for them, the islands and walkways between the car spaces will be removed, along with the curb stops, Pearson said.

The renovation will also address drainage problems that have plagued the lot in the past and will involve relocating some of the facilities that are there. New dressing rooms, showers and restrooms will be constructed, according to a press release from the Seashore.

The work is expected to last through Nov. 23 and will be funded partly by the Federal Highway Administration and partly by money collected in beach entrance fees

The Iceman 6
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
It was closed when I was up there on vacation in August too, those damn plovers decided to nest right in the middle of the parking lot. I love it there too.....

:nailem:

Rappin Mikey
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
What's next??:lossinit::af:

chris L
09-19-2007, 12:46 PM
about time they do something with that lot . you can always use the town lot after labor day . At least I have never had any problems parking/sleeping there .

luds
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
That sucks. I was planning on parking/fishing there this weekend.

piemma
09-19-2007, 02:50 PM
That sucks. I was planning on parking/fishing there this weekend.

Like Chris said use the town lot. Better fishing to the left in front of the clay banks...or at least there use to be.

Flaptail
09-19-2007, 03:33 PM
That's okay I got legs and besides I rode from RP South to High head yesterday and it was a mung wonderland. Whitecrest was similarly munged so it's my guess until a good west wind does begin to blow the fishing will blow there too.:(

Backbeach Jake
09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Like Chris said use the town lot. Better fishing to the left in front of the clay banks...or at least there use to be.

And for my next trick, I'll burn a Rhody spot...Getting a little specific are you?

piemma
09-21-2007, 04:07 AM
And for my next trick, I'll burn a Rhody spot...Getting a little specific are you?

Well, I am sorry if I burned a spot. I haven't fish there since 1999 and made a mistake posting the name. I figured by now the seals had taken up permanent residence and the sturcture had changed in 8 years. Sorry, I apologize.

Backbeach Jake
09-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Just wizing off, A search will burn any and all spots to the ground. No apology needed..