View Full Version : finger protection

hunan
09-03-2002, 08:40 PM
what, if anything, do you non- mono using fisherpeople use to protect your digits from meltdown?

CowHunter
09-03-2002, 08:48 PM
I have been using braided lines since 1996 and when I first started my first applications with braid was 4-5 ounce bucktails with 30lb spiderwire. Now the problem was wading out, taking on waves, and having you're fingers wet. What happened was I started to tear the hell out of my fingers once they got soft. I had tried tape, finger guards, and crazy glue. Nothing really worked, I had to be in feel with the line. I went up to heavier lines without loosing much distance and haven't had that problem in years. Then agian its not everyday I throw heavy jigs. I have never torn my fingers up pluggin' or eelin' just in the situation described. I primarily use 65lb Whiplash on my spinning outfits and 80lb Whiplash on my conventional outfits....

good Luck

Slipknot
09-03-2002, 10:01 PM
I jig the canal with 65 lb whiplash on a spinner using 4-5 oz jigs and have good luck with one of those Breakaway Cannon release triggers. I use it plugging with 3 oz and up plugs too. I have tried those rubber finger cots also but I love the cannon, it really does increase my distance. And never have to worry about slicing my finger open in case I snag a bush behind me or something.

jettyjockey18
09-04-2002, 07:10 AM
back in mid june i sliced my finger wide open down the canal when my plug hung up on some brush during the back swing...i've also tried tape and other finger protectors...finally bought the breakaway cannon and voila, no more problems...

the cannon is well worth the 20 bucks...takes about 10-15 casts to get the rythym down before your comfortable enough to let'er rip...

hunan
09-04-2002, 05:38 PM
hey jettjockey, i used to live in e. taunton. you wouldn't happen to play softball at the bowl would you? final game tonight, winner takes all in the 'a' division. i can cast fine with the braids but i use a non-levelwind reel so when i am leveling the line back on, i get grooved something fierce in my fingers. maybe i'll just use my batting glove from this year.

Saltheart
09-04-2002, 06:58 PM
use a levelwind conventional reel. We fish with Cortland spectron , the toughest but also most skin abrasive line going. With a levelwind conventional , no problemo! :)

capesams
09-04-2002, 08:52 PM
I'm w/u saltheart, levelwind .been useing spiderwire till I got a blacklash an dug the line in so deep I had to leave an go home:( now I giving courtland a try...20# for slingin eels.

nightfighter
09-04-2002, 09:07 PM
OK, what is the Cannon breakaway? Never seen or heard of it. And have been wracking brain with ideas for preventing the end of my fingers from looking like hamburger. Am just about healed, but willing to bet they are gonna get opened up at Cuttyhunk....

Slip, anyplace online I can look at this product?

jeffsod
09-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Nightfighter, I am not sure where Slip got his but you can find them here just click on accessories twice:

http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/

Saltheart
09-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Capesam , FYI , I use 35 lb spectron for eeling. A 6500 size ambassadeur will hold about 270 to 290 yards. I use a 30 lb Ande leader.

I use 50 lb spectron at the Ditch for jigging with a 7000 size reel and 50 LB Ande leader.
I albright both size leaders on.

capesams
09-04-2002, 10:04 PM
SALTHEART:
sabre 1088..abu 6500mag/cal.400....20#line tops[mono/braid]...25# flor. leader....5/0 hook.....love eels:btu:

don't fish the ditch anymore....lost to much gear, besides fishin is better 10 min's from my house. and the sand is softer when I fall.

jettyjockey18
09-05-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by nightfighter
OK, what is the Cannon breakaway? Never seen or heard of it. And have been wracking brain with ideas for preventing the end of my fingers from looking like hamburger. Am just about healed, but willing to bet they are gonna get opened up at Cuttyhunk....

Slip, anyplace online I can look at this product?

i got my breakaway cannon from cabelas...i actually saw one of the local walmarts stock them this spring for a short time...you could even try cape cod tackle (m&d's in wareham), mike t was sposed to order some earlier this season but i don't know if he ever did.

jeffsod
09-05-2002, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I would try Mike at M&D's first and you would have it sooner.

Jimbo
09-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Just got a Fall sale advertisement from Cabela's and the Breakaway Cannon is currently listed at $19.95 plus $5.95 for 3-6 day delivery. Don't know if that's a good deal or not, but they're usually competetive.
I would also like to know if there's a product out there for preventing thumb burn when casting a big baitcaster? I have a Penn 555GS I'm still getting used to and that seems to be one problem I run into alot and I don't think you ever get past it.

JohnR
09-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Jimbo, the only thing which works well on the baitcaster is the thumb. If you spit on your thumb before you cast, that takes a lot of the burn out... Don't lick the spool though, don't know how much beach closing bacteria is where you're fishing ...
:eek5: