View Full Version : Favorite Popper/surface lure- Daytime

steve
09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I have been fishing more in the daytime lately because of my schedule and False albie action and as a result have been using surface lures. If the blues are not around the skin plug over a surface swimmer is still my go-to , but they are plentiful so I have using poppers. I have found that the Yozuri surface cruiser a great , great plug in 21/8 oz in mackerel or yellow. It casts great and has action like a traditional popper as well as a pencil or Zara spook. I taken some nice bass on this under bright sunlight over the last 2 weeks. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE DAYTIME SURFACE LURE?

Rockport24
09-21-2007, 12:30 PM
thanks for the tip Steve. Do you ever put skins over something like a red fin or bomber?

Saltheart
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Atom poppers. Blue and white and yellow and orange. I stocked up on plenty when Bob Pond still owned the place in south attleboro.

There have been times when a very shiny silver one , like a creek chub brand popper has worked over the atoms but its very rare that you can't get a bass or blue to hit an Atom if you play with the presentation.

Why an Atom? I prefer the slight sink they have versus a true floater like a wooden one. Because it will sink slowly if given a second or two stopped , the possibilities for working it are much more numerous than one that always floats. Its easy to keep on top if you want by simply working it but the ability to slowly sink adds some advantages IMO.

At night time , if you let it sink and just barely break the surface with it , not a pop , more of a barely break the surface (oh , there is also a teaser above it) , its a great nightime striper lure too.

numbskull
09-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Surf Howdy-yellow/pearl
Medium Danny any color
2 1/2 oz gibbs pencil white/yellow/ or blue and white

By boat, over the years, I've taken many decent daytime bass (20-30lbs) on those three plugs casting tight to the shore.

Skitterpop
09-21-2007, 03:12 PM
1. Gags 3 + inches chrome painted plastic popper with white feathers and mylar tail

Killer

2. and of course: small and large Skitter pops salty versions mullet and ? the other one not metallic with scale and blue in it.

Killer

Have had Stripers to 42"s on both of these a number of times

Pete_G
09-21-2007, 04:12 PM
By boat, over the years, I've taken many decent daytime bass (20-30lbs) on those three plugs casting tight to the shore.

Same here. While night time is the right time overall, ignoring the day bite in some areas, in particular by boat, is a serious error.

Big Pencils and spooks for me. Danny plug when casting distance isn't an issue.

Distance often matters though. If there's a drop off near good feeding grounds that's probably where the fish are. Sometimes you HAVE to reach it. Wetsuit, braid, accurate casts, and a aerodynamic lure are my weapons of choice when chasing big bass during the day from shore.

tynan19
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
SKC Pink Pencil Popper, go to confidence plug.
Super Strike Little Neck is the second.

Fishin' Blues
09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I caught a few non-keepers last night, a little after dusk with a Yo-Zuri chrome/black colored Hydro-Popper.

There wasn't anything for the dinner table but it was a lot of fun.

plankton
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I you like the surface cruiser, try the Tsunami talking popper, same basic shape and action as the Yozuri but a third the price, I believe the 6" one is a little over 2oz. and casts great. If you need serious distance and still want a floating popper then Salty's 3 oz. fatheads are awesome, they cause a serious commotion that few fish can ignore.

Slipknot
09-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Bernzy Surf Howdy is number 1

and if I need more distance I use my own 3 + ounce pencils

I'd rather fish at night though

steve
09-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Rockport24-- No not really. I've tried skins on small needlefish plugs with some success. A good friend of mine swears by skin/needle combo. He does well with them.

bart
09-22-2007, 07:59 AM
i like the old large atom poppers. white with a little glitter.

SS little neck poppers in yellow/white rule, especially at places like PJ and WH where you need distance.

any yellow/white pencil is usually reliable but i especially like gibbs and plugcaster

Steve K
09-22-2007, 08:19 AM
It depends of what the bass are feeding on and how far off the beach they are.

Smack-it poppers - If they are in close.

Gibbs Polaris poppers - If they are out far.

Yozuri Mag Popper (the smallest one) - If they only want something small. This popper will swim too and it casts like a much larger popper.

redcrbbr
09-22-2007, 08:57 AM
chrome creek chubs would have to be the go to plug that I have caught the most fish with, followed by a white smack-it. White or yellow Dannys have also been pretty hot for me this year and have consistanly caught more bass.

surfratiam
09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
This would be my favorite, based upon this years results.

Brother Brian
09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Knuckle Heads or any sinking pencil popper.

Tagger
09-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Jigman spook pearl white ..

slow eddie
09-23-2007, 06:59 AM
cordell pencil. put in a few splip shot. change rear hook ot a single. caught bass, blues and tuna on it.

SurffishNJ
09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Check out the Plugcaster line of pencils. These are IMHO some of the finest produced today. Awsome actions........................ My hands down go to surface lures.......

rockhopin2
09-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I have been fishing more in the daytime lately because of my schedule and False albie action and as a result have been using surface lures. If the blues are not around the skin plug over a surface swimmer is still my go-to , but they are plentiful so I have using poppers. I have found that the Yozuri surface cruiser a great , great plug in 21/8 oz in mackerel or yellow. It casts great and has action like a traditional popper as well as a pencil or Zara spook. I taken some nice bass on this under bright sunlight over the last 2 weeks. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE DAYTIME SURFACE LURE?

the 5oz pencile you gave me :jump: those three hooks have taken some nice fish