View Full Version : Truck exaust help???

cheferson
09-26-2007, 08:59 PM
My exhaust cracked below the manifold before the converter. Its loud as hell. Question is will it damage my truck if i drive it to and from work till mon and tuesday when i have off?

Thanks

fishbones
09-26-2007, 09:18 PM
It shouldn't damage your truck. I used to have a 1981 Mustang and I cut the pipe in front of the converter because it rusted out. I drove it for months until my neighbor complained to my mom. She made me get it fixed. It will just annoy everyone else on the road near you, and you won't be able to sneak up on anyone.

cheferson
09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
But my engine wont be damaged because of reduced pressure?

Thanks for the help:cheers:

Gary
09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Your engine will be fine. A check engine light may come on if there is an after cat O2 sensor. but nothing detrimental will happen to the engine. I am an ASE certified master medium/heavy truck tech and i will stand behind this all day long.

cheferson
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Sweet!!! Any idea what the repair will cost me?? Looks like it was already welded at the spot where it broke.
Thanks again!!!!

teaser
09-26-2007, 10:35 PM
That pipe should cost you about $90.00, do it yourself and save on the labor.

Rick Ackley
09-27-2007, 06:00 AM
You'll most likely get a Check Engine lite, but the motor will be fine, it's your ears that might get damaged. Those pipes usually seem to weld themselves together where they connect to other exhaust parts. Home repairs might prove difficult unless you have the right tools. Good luck either way.

RIROCKHOUND
09-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Chef:
if youi are looking to do it your self, call the auto recyclers in North Kingstown (Oak Hill Rd) they have everything.. used to get parts to keep my exploder limping along from them

Adam_777
09-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Exhuast Manifold in a truck.Yuk.Sucky Job Man.You can run it that way for a while if you need to.Probably as long as you can stand the engine light and noise.Do yourself a favor spray the bolts that bolt the manifold to the head with penetrating oil at night and let them soak and repeat.May save you money and time in the longrun.Trucks Manifolds can be a pain especialy the bolts that are in the back.Penetrating oil even if your not doing the job.Mechanic will thank you.