View Full Version : SPRAY PAINTING ?

saltydog
09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
dont have a air gun an always use RATTLECANS, Im trying to gain more control over the spray, can anyone help:yawn:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:cool:

Charleston
09-29-2007, 01:13 PM
What problems are you having?
How do you hold the plugs while applying spray paint?

saltydog
09-30-2007, 06:30 AM
CHARLESTON. trying to gain more control of the paint. trying to get MORE DETAIL --->DOTS,--->STRIPES,--->LINES more like you guy do w/ Air Brushhhh. going to try CUTTING some STENCILS for DOTS,an spraying at different lenths away!

LINES for MACKREL BACKS ??????

JUST trying to IMPROVE any way I can.:spin: want to get more DIRECTION in my SPRAY---. might be ASKING to much from a CAN SPRAY but Ill PLAY with it some more.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:D
P.S. sorry I hold them in my HAND an SPRAY W/ the outher.

Striperknight
09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Holding in you hand is a no no. Make some holders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Bigred20/paintholder.jpg

You will get more control.

Charleston
09-30-2007, 07:58 AM
I hold my plug on the end of a hanger wire. This way I can manipulate the plug at the same time I spray the paint. This allows me to rotate, tip etc. the plug as the paint arrives at the surface.
I also have some of the paint can caps that the Graffiti artists use. They allow fogging, lines etc.

Example; When painting the red cup of a popper I can hold the plug at an angle and rotate it in my fingers/thumb as the paints applys. This gives a nice even coat and cuts it into the body color as smmoth as if you used a mask!

I need to learn to use my airbrush!!

saltydog
09-30-2007, 11:19 AM
STRIPERKNIGHT,CHARLESTON,THANK YOU, Im still learning:hs: DON'T have any TOOLS, to speak of, just a Hand Drill, a Sander, an LOTS of Sand Paper. Graffiti artists ! Ill have to do a SEARCH an look for CAPS. THANK'S AGAIN ;)
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:kewl:

basswipe
09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Not to hijack but if you're gonna use spraypaint one way to get a much better finish is to go out get a spraycan of Minwax Helmsman spar poly and replace the nozzle on the paint with the one from the poly.

The poly nozzle sprays a flat pattern and is adjustable between horizontal and vertical.The poly nozzle also produces a "finer" spray.

LaPala
09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Here's a few tips:

A warm can sprays better (soak in warm water b4 use) Warning NOT boiling water, then u have a potential bomb in ur hands.
Really shake the hell out of the can especially for heavier pigments like fluorescents, continue shaking too while painting, this would ensure less sputtering of paint.
Spray farther away. This will get a thinner spray of paint onto your lure. Use multiple thin coats instead of one thick coat up close. I sometimes even shoot from even 1 to 2 ft away.
You can spray wet on wet to get better blending. That means shoot the 2nd color b4 the 1st coat has dried. The colors will blend together and sometimes u get a third color from it. Eg, Candy blue & blend with candy yellow will give u green blend where the 2 colors meet. Works best with transparent colors.
Use cardboard to shade ur painting and angle the spray away from edge of cardboard to get a faint parting line; 90° to card will give more apparent lines. Distance of card from painted surface will control how far the blend is going to go into card shaded part. Shooting at an angle into the space btw card & lure will give u a big mess LOL.
Starting the spray b4 the lure and smooth sweep ending away from the lure will give you a more even coat

Hope this helps.
PS: I'm usually on "there other side" but do lurk here too :jump:

BigFish
09-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I hold the plug with one hand and spray with the other....no problems what so ever!:cool: More control over the process in my opinion!

justplugit
09-30-2007, 12:14 PM
LINES for MACKREL BACKS ??????

You can cut a stencil out of aluminum foil and form fit it to the plug.

gldnbear93
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
here is a link for caps

http://artprimo.com/catalog/spray-paint-caps-c-27.html

gldnbear93
09-30-2007, 08:52 PM
in addition to cardboard for templates, try using that plastic stuff that toys and electronics are packed in. You know, the stuff that you can never open without a razor and then you end up cutting yourself on the darn plastic (clamshell packaging i think is what it is called). An advantage of the clear plastic is that you can see where you are placing the template and can get a more exact location for it. Add a LITTLE heat (heat gun or blow dryer) and you can shape it a little to mold to your plug for an even crisper line.

saltydog
10-03-2007, 09:08 PM
WOW:wiggle:THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL. you guys are GREAT:D cant wait to start more plugs. will be heading out to pick up more supplys this weekend.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:kewl:

ThrowingTimber
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Salty come to the plug builders gathering charlestown breachway in charlestown RI this weekend. I'll pack up some super thins german graf. caps for you.

Jigman
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Couple other thing to bare in mind about stencils. If you hold them right up against the plug you'll get a very abrupt line. Hold the stencil a little off the plug (1/2 inch or so) and you'll get a little softer fade to the lines/dots. Both can be useful at times. Practice on some dowels or reject plugs first to get it down, then go for the good stuff.

Jigman

Flaptail
10-04-2007, 12:15 PM
In rattle cans it's all about the angle, having the plug in the proper angle to the direction of the spray you can achieve some great effects like gills, eye shadows and highlights never mind the layering of colors.

I use a collection of old thru wires and some stencils when I am too lazy to break out the Badger.

At A.C. Moore and Michael's they sell really great stencil cutters ( they are electric like a soldering iron with a heated fine tip) and different weights of plastic stencil sheet that is 8-1/2 x 11.

All you do is draw out the design and cut the stencil with the tool.

I take the sheets and set the wife's oven at 250 degrees on bake then set the plug blank on a wire support and set the plastic stencil sheet on top and watch as the plastic melts slowly and sets over the plug shape. As soon as it has set to where you want it It comes out and is dropped into the sink full of cool water. Now you have a stencil that fits that certain plug. I learned this from watching Stan Gibbs do the same thing with thin black bakelite sheets and a dremel type tool to cut out the designs like mackerel vermiculations. Works well and cheap dough.

The Dad Fisherman
10-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I take the sheets and set the wife's oven at 250 degrees on bake then set the plug blank on a wire support and set the plastic stencil sheet on top and watch as the plastic melts slowly and sets over the plug shape. As soon as it has set to where you want it It comes out and is dropped into the sink full of cool water. Now you have a stencil that fits that certain plug. I learned this from watching Stan Gibbs do the same thing with thin black bakelite sheets and a dremel type tool to cut out the designs like mackerel vermiculations. Works well and cheap dough.

That is BRILLIANT.....Seriously. I'm going to have to mess with that one this winter. And with the plastic after the paint builds up it should just peel off......Good as new

eastendlu
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Check this out specially the one minute paintjob.

http://www.spacepaintings.com/video_clips_art.html

Pete F.
10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I learned this from watching Stan Gibbs do the same thing with thin black bakelite sheets and a dremel type tool to cut out the designs like mackerel vermiculations. Works well and cheap dough.

That is the hardest way to say stripes.
I could'nt resist.:fishslap:

saltydog
10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
GUYS I cant say ENOUGH on your help :lm: I printed all of it out so I can read over again, an refer-back to. Im HOOKED on this got up at 4 this morning sanded some down drilled them out for weights an eyes an popped them in for a soaking. came home an turned them around an now there soaking more. will be out tonight hanging to dry.

GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:cheers:

LaPala
10-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I take the sheets and set the wife's oven at 250 degrees on bake then set the plug blank on a wire support and set the plastic stencil sheet on top and watch as the plastic melts slowly and sets over the plug shape.
I'll be careful if i were you about mixing plastic and eating. Not sure if the plastic you use but plastic when heated might release some chemical that is not good for health. What i do is just use a heat gun on the plastic in an open area.