View Full Version : Striper Liver

capecodder
10-01-2007, 11:28 AM
This weekend a couple of my friends who are adventurous eaters decided to sample the liver of a 29 lb bass we landed.

After filleting, they each sampled it raw... I took a pass. They claim it tastes like scallops.

That evening we sauteed the rest of it and I must say it was delicious.

As we were eating, I pointed out that we were likely consuming a rather concentrated amount of mercury... Oh well, a couple of shots of Cabo Wabo and we moved on...

The following day, they tried raw bluefish liver... Not quite as good.

Anyone know if this is problematic?

PJT
10-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Try the monkfish liver if you get a chance. That's really good and rich.

If you don't eat it all the time, it should be ok. Kinda like Folie Gras, lobster and crab tomalley. If you have the opportunity then go for it but I wouldn't eat it more than say 3 times a month.

Clogston29
10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
its probably healthy (cod liver oil is).

may have unhealthy amounts of Vitamin A, but probably not.

EarnedStripes44
10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
hope it isnt a member of the hudson river stock, or for that matterr god forbid it has spent any significant time in the lower delaware river....

Steve K
10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Monkfish liver or ankimo in Japan is fantastic. It is like eating foie gras. It is better in the winter months, Feb and March because the liver has a lot more fat.

The Dad Fisherman
10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
You ate its liver with some Fava beans and a Nice Glass of Chianti.....th-th-th-th-th-th.

(you should have known someone was going to do it....might as well be me)

Pete F.
10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I remember reading in some fishing book about the author finding out how good striper liver was. I'll have to look tonight and see who.

Gary
10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I will have to try it, It will probably be better than a bluefin Heart, that I ate in front of my friend.:yak:

Pete F.
10-02-2007, 05:16 AM
I looked it up last night. The book is The Saltwater Fisherman's Favorite Four by O.H.P. Rodman

OLD GOAT
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
O dear what about the poor poor seals??? thats what they eat