View Full Version : Bluefish, you want it

Redsoxticket
10-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm C&R bluefish today when someone approachs me and ask if he can have the next fish. "Sure",I said "but your going to have to unhook it yourself". I landed this large blue, he then steps on the blue and puts his finger in its mouth to remove the plug. I immediately pryed the jaw with pliers so he can remove his bloody finger.
I said "you can lose your finger to these fish". He shows me the same hand and sure enough there is a finger missing due to a bandsaw accident. I said "your lucky you may of had two missing. He was unaware of the teeth of the blue. The finger was cut slightly and bandaged. He was still happy that I gave him fish and his wife and him thanked me.
I felt guilty because he was a good guy but who would knew that he was going to but his fingers in the jaws.

FishNH
10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Ouch, how was his other hand? :)

Redsoxticket
10-03-2007, 09:06 PM
five whole digits

GonnaCatchABig1
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
dont feel guilty.. you did him a favor.. you taught him the number one lesson in fishing. "if you don't know anything about it, don't stick your hand in it's mouth."

DZ
10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey Ticket,
Why dild you make him unhook it? Just curious. Could have saved him some hurting if you would have unhooked it.

DZ

Redsoxticket
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Once the fish was landed he placed his foot on the blue but the plug was on the other side so I asked him to flip it over. My instinct realized the danger and I was ready with the pliers thinking that it was changed to a joint effort him with foot on blue me with pliers.
Guess I should have told him my intent but he was to quick.
Once the blue shuts down on a finger and if you don't open the jaws immediately you can say good-bye.

I was all talk but I was there to help but to late.
If he is happy so am I.