View Full Version : Drifting herring chucks

Plum Island
09-07-2002, 11:02 AM
Has anyone had much luck with drifting chucked/whole herring?
I'm in search of my first keeper. I have gotten many small schoolies.

RickBomba
09-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Hey Man,
Up in your neck of the woods, I drift herring chunks exclusively.
4/0 circle hooks and and no weight!!!
I cut them like 2" and replace them when they look haggard.
When fishing from the boat, I get as close to the rocks as possible, cast into the white water and hold on.
On shore, I look for an area with good tidal movement and cast out as far as possible.
After I straighten up all my stuff with the new house and fix the ignition problem on my Formula, I'll take you out to some good spots around Cape Ann, if you want (next year).
Just give me a pm.
May I fish live herring exclusively from shore. If you want to go then, I'm always looking for people to split the gas bill for the drive to the Cape.
Anyhow, right now, you should do well with herring. I don't mess with any other bait, except for eels.
On the other hand, try swimming plugs at night. I do well with them in the fall.
Later
Rick

Plum Island
09-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tips & offer :)

Willyg101
09-08-2002, 09:04 AM
In your neck of the woods tide is the most important part of fishing herring chunks. I found fishing around Badgers Rocks on a falling tide is one of the most successful places around (if you have a boat). At this time of year I had a great spot that was aways great at the end of September, Salisbury Beach. I would ALWAYS get a striper in the 30 or 40 pound range from the beach. If you what more info e-mail me.

chingweiliao
09-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi Willyg101, Plum Island, and RickBomba :

This is chingweiliao. I fished right at the PI river mouth and parking lot 3 this past Staturday but no significant actions except one tiny stipers. As you know I posted a news about bunker fish is near the shoral since last week. After bunker fish is in, in my experience, I know the bottom fishing will be slow down quite a bit at the river but I had not much experience about the beach side at this time of year. But the got skunk experience at parking lot three around +/- one hour at the highest tide makes me wonder where the fish is also (not at the beach and not around the river) last saturday.

Hence, If it is possible, I would like to fish with you at the those area you mentioned some time this weekday or weekend.

Sincerely yours,

Ching-Wei Liao

Willyg101
09-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Hey Ching-Wei Liao, Plum Island,
What I was saying about fishing the Salisbury Beach side of the Merrimac is that it is best on a night tide 2-1/2 hours before , up to high tide. Forget it after high tide. I found that you have to find a small cut in the sand bottom to get any action. You can find the cuts by studying the high tide line for a steep bank. At low tide, the beach may appear to be the same as everything else, but when the water is high the shore current will press water in one place more than another. That is where you want to be. I have found that the beach side fishing, at the mouth of the river, fish will at times take different baits especially in the late fall when they are starting to migrate. This year I think the big fish will be caught in the beginning of October because of the weather.

bloocrab
09-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Hey Plumm~

..you may want to try mackerel too! ;)

saltydog
09-11-2002, 03:18 PM
chingwiliao, I was there SUNDAY, at LOW tide an pluged from the BAR to the mouth, an around to the rocks an up the beach an back, ton's of bait, no fishies!!!!!!!!!!
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN":cool: