View Full Version : great run of fish but

blue oyster
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
this has been a fall run to remember but the one draw back with all these big bass and blues is i have gone through almost every piece of hardware i own and you cannot buy anything in this area, i stopped at monahans today and he recieved 100 weighted treble hooks yesterday , i bought the last 2 today , i have searched every old tackle box , any draw that i ever put fishing tackle in and turned the man cave upside down looking for wire and hooks at this pace i have 1 day of fishing left with the tackle remaining :eek5:

bloocrab
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
uh..... you could "weight" your own trebbles ya know.

Some solder wire wrapped nice and tight until you reach a weight your comfortable with........heck, you might even want to warm it up a little .....maybe it will melt a little......who nose :uhoh:

YOu can also make a quick mold with some foil,....and a littel eye/magination, some lead (a sinker) and sum tin to melt it wit

Joe
10-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Most tackle shops try to work their existing inventory down in preparation for the off season....and most boat guys take their boats out and get them shrink-wrapped....I always found it odd - that the shops would empty out and the boats all get pulled at the pinnacle of the season, but that's how it is...

Clogston29
10-05-2007, 07:28 AM
internet? plenty of places to order from, many with great service. you'll have the stuff in no time. SWE, M&D's, SRI

MrHunters
10-05-2007, 07:38 AM
at the Cape and Marina in Gloucester, I went in last week to get 2 dozen worms and he looked at me like i had 6 heads. He said they don't stock them after labor day because no one buys them during the week.. Meanwhile right down the street there is a nice little place that sells worms that look like snakes!!! and they are a dollar cheaper to boot.

Guess I know where I will go from now on. I thought that was odd anyway.

MrHunters
10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
uh..... you could "weight" your own trebbles ya know.

Some solder wire wrapped nice and tight until you reach a weight your comfortable with........heck, you might even want to warm it up a little .....maybe it will melt a little......who nose :uhoh:

YOu can also make a quick mold with some foil,....and a littel eye/magination, some lead (a sinker) and sum tin to melt it wit

forgive me since your tone sounded like it was stating the obvious but that's a hell of a great idea :bl::bl::bl:

Nebe
10-05-2007, 08:19 AM
buy some of the largest trebles you can find and buy some 1.5 ounce bank sinkers. slide the bank sinker's eye over one of the shanks of the trebble, then mash the eye down on the hook with a good pair of plyers. come to think of it you could buy a few sinkers at different weights and get technical with it... less wieght for when 'they' are on top, etc...

Pete F.
10-05-2007, 08:33 AM
take a piece of leader tie a 2 oz weight on the end and a couple of 2/0 trebles about a foot apart. Snag bunker and don't get hung up on bottom.

JeffH
10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a pail with over 200 snag hooks in it that never get used. For the right amount of plugs.....................

spinncognito
10-05-2007, 09:09 AM
at the Cape and Marina in Gloucester, I went in last week to get 2 dozen worms and he looked at me like i had 6 heads. He said they don't stock them after labor day because no one buys them during the week.. Meanwhile right down the street there is a nice little place that sells worms that look like snakes!!! and they are a dollar cheaper to boot.

Guess I know where I will go from now on. I thought that was odd anyway.

C.A. Marina is having an "end of season" yard sale this weekend. Might be a place to stock up for the fall run....

niko
10-05-2007, 01:32 PM
bo, i've got a pretty good supply if you need some

junkmansj
10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Cast net weights over the treble shanks

vinnyb
10-05-2007, 09:40 PM
For a bunker snag I've used a 5/0 mustad treble & an egg sinker. Just slide the egg on your leader & tie on the treble - good to go.

GonnaCatchABig1
10-06-2007, 04:18 AM
must be nice to lose your stuff on fish.. my buddy and i have gone through two packs of hooks. three packs of wires, 8 sinkers, and a pack of sliders daily for the past month with nothing but blues to show for it.. ooooh well. i got some waders now.. and started buying some plugs... those arent working out to well for us either though. having a really hard time finding all these fish of which people speak. :bc::bc: