View Full Version : Best Knot for braid

Surely Bassey
10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Specifically for #50 Suffix...
I know that the knot is the weak link here.
Should I glue the knot or is it anal?

Pete_G
10-05-2007, 09:24 PM
What are you tying to? A swivel?

The strongest connection I've found is a bimini twist to an offshore swivel knot. In VERY unscientific testing it just always seems to win. At times the knot will NOT be what fails if you tie your bimini well. With braid it's extremely important to have the first wraps that go down the twisted line of the bimini be loose or the knot will not be anywhere near it's potential 100% breaking strength. If you want to be able to sometimes drag in inconsiderate lobster pots you accidentally find in the dark with 50# braid, this should be your set up.

In the surf though, where a bimini is a little challenging to do in the dark with waves hitting you, I like the double palomar. It's strong but nothing like the above. Lobster pots often win. You'll gain some ground on them, but you won't land them.

As for glue I'm of the belief that if the knot wasn't sound the glue won't save you. But I could be wrong. :D

BigPete
10-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Double up and tie a palomar knot for quick connect to terminal tackle

piemma
10-06-2007, 02:33 AM
I fished the 50# Suffix all Spring on a conventional specifically for live lining pogies. Caught a TON of Large using it. I used an Albright knot for the line to leader and a palomar for leader to treble. Never lost a fish because of the knots.

stripadan
10-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Specifically for #50 Suffix...
I know that the knot is the weak link here.
Should I glue the knot or is it anal?

anal glue is only for drunk friends, u snooze u lose

i use a back to back uni for braid to mono. double up the braid first. palomar for braid to terminal tackle.

Headhunter
10-06-2007, 08:19 AM
In my exp a palomar knot holds the best to any terminal tie. I have 14 fish over 40lbs and 2 over 50 this yr from the boat, never counted the 30 plus and I can't remember a knot failure. I also have several over 40 from the surf in the past couple of yrs. All I use is a palomar, braid to leader swivel, swivel to leader, leader to hook or in rare occasion when I plug, to a gini clip, or snap. Not tooting my own horn here just letting you know why I think the knot works.

Mike P
10-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Palomar. Almost impossible to tie a bad one--even in the dark with cold, wet hands.

Headhunter
10-06-2007, 08:31 AM
You do have to remember to cinch the loop around the body of the knot,if you cinch it around the 2 strands that come out of the top it will cut itself off.

Adam_777
10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I've had good luck with palomar knot .Fishing plugs dedicated.No leader just a snap @ the end.Wouldn't cast into a school of blues without a metal leader and a plastic plug.Here's a good site for knots grab a peice or rope and practice until you master it .Yes I have dragged in lobster pots off a wall out there that is lined with them.Only way to break it was wrap my coat around my hands and pull very hard praying my pole didn't break while walking in the opposite direction.Be careful if you have to break that line will slice you like a razor and it hurts like hell.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Headhunter
10-06-2007, 08:37 AM
very kewl site!

Brother Brian
10-06-2007, 10:19 AM
A ten turn uni-knot to anything.

dahark
10-09-2007, 05:21 PM
San Diego jam knot

onecastmike2003
10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
twist it knot and the sinch it down / no problems ..... till the blues get here.

baldwin
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
If you're tying the line to lure or swivel, a 7-turn improved clinch will work fine. Just leave a little extra tag end, which won't matter with braid. I like that Palomar advice, though. Headhunter is pretty convincing on that one, I'll probably switch where appropriate.

Flaptail
10-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Improved clinch with a tiny drop of Zap-a-Gap.

Back Beach
10-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Improved clinch with a tiny drop of Zap-a-Gap.

Almost the same here. I go twice through the eye of the barrel,six turns, and then pass the tag through the two loops. No glue. Never a failure.

MakoMike
10-10-2007, 07:48 AM
The best knot is the one you tie the best under trying conditions. I use the palomar for that reason. For braid to mono leader connections I use a loop to loop connection using double spyder hitches.

Van
10-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Palomar...never failed one (yet)

If your picky you can take a lighter and melt the tag end a bit, but it never seen it slip...

The Iceman 6
10-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Palamor, easy to tie and hasn't failed me yet either.

Saltheart
10-10-2007, 08:24 AM
For the canal i tie different than on the beach. On the beach I use an albright for the leader and a polamaron the terminal end.. For the canal , I once used an albright and a uni but now use opposing uni's and a uni. I have a hard time tying the polamar since I broke my index finger so where i need to do it often (canal) I use the easier opposing uni's.

In the canal , I want the jig to let go before the leader so i don't use the polamar. If I do , the leader know will let go. Either way I lose the jig but with the uni I don't have to retie the leader all the time.

On the beach , I want maximum breaking strength so I use the polamar .

My logic may be twisted but it makes me happy and keeps me thinking. :)

Paul/NH
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
pretty new around this site, but I'll offer a suggestion I recently received and highly endorse:

braid to mono/flouro leader - slim beauty knot using the leader for the overhand knot piece and the braid for the 'wraps' piece...when you look it up, you'll understand...

this knot works esp well for heavier leader material - say 40 - 50lb braid with 50 lb flouroleader.

With lighter/thinner line on each side I resort to a back to back uni...

In terms of connection to terminal tackle or lures - I alwasy use the flouro leader with a palomar. Going braid direct...I dont have a clue...

Paul