View Full Version : Convential Tackle

scarecrow
09-08-2002, 02:53 PM
I have been surf fishing for about 6 years now, and I love it. Now after using spinning equipment for such a long time. I am looking to invest in some convential equipment. What types of reels work well. Any anwers would be greatly appreciated.

bud8fan
09-08-2002, 05:27 PM
I guess it all depends on what your planning on doing with them and whether you plan on getting one and having it for various uses. For instance I use a Calcutta 400 on a 7' St Croix custom rod for throwing bucktails from jetties. I use a Ambassadeur 6500CS Mag Elite on a custom Lamiglas SMB 1083 for slinging eels and you can go with a 7000 series Ambassadeur along with a 10-11' rod of your choice for throwing bait.
Now this is just my opinion, as I like a different feel for different applications.(You can never have to many setups! Probably why I am not rich!!)
You could do it all with a 6500 and a 10' rod of your choice and branch out from there.
You can usually pick up a decent used 6500C3 off ebay for under $50. I personally feel you should never skimp when it comes to the rod!!
Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Fishpart
09-09-2002, 05:16 AM
What type of fishing do you primarily do? You can get away with an ABU6500 for almost every application, but if you are primarily fishing places like the canal you may want a 7000. The Calcutta is also a good reel, but it is hard to beat the ABUs for value. I definitely recommend a level wind, especially if you are fishing mostly lures or eels.

Rods can get a little more complicated depending on the weights you fish with, lures or bait, length, one piece or two.

In either case, our sponsers here usually give us some pretty good deals and good advice.