View Full Version : Bluefish Mania!!!!

Fisherwoman
09-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Went out on the Harbor early this AM, got into fish out between Toddy Rocks & Pt Allerton. Bass & blues in the mix, got a call from GS, said he was into big blues down near Situate Harbor, so off we went, and very glad we did. We hammered blues from 8 - 13 lbs for the next 4-5 hours, there are so many fish outside of the Harbor right now, it is unbeleivable. Also saw some TUNA in the mix. Was a great day, get out if ya can. Going tomorrow, just can't not go!!!

For you Surf guys looking for some good action, try Nantasket beach, up by Pt Allerton, fish the incoming tide in the AM, Bring top water lures like Pensil Poppers, Polaris Poppers, Zara Spooks, and Metal, Don't think you will be disappointed. There have been some really nice blue's and bass taken there over the last week.

RockLobsta
09-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Glad to hear you had fun. I was also out this morning on the Harbor but had no luck. I am in a 12 ft boat so I don't venture that far. Sure was nice to get out anyway. It was very nice out there today........

Van
09-08-2002, 07:10 PM
I can back that up we were also into blues all day and MAN are my arms tired.
Also got some decent stripers while bluefishing. One real nice one was boated by Flatts1. What a day, i'm doing it again on tuesday.

Talked to a lobsterman back at the marina, he was out early and saw tuna jumping all over the place. We were a bit too late to see that action though.:(
maybe next time.:)

Got Stripers
09-08-2002, 08:56 PM
It was fun and ouch it hurts to type, man my left hand is just raw from grabing too many leaders with thrashing blues. Went through a few good top waters today though, but it was well worth the price.

BigBo
09-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Bluefish outside of Scituate Harbor was awsome on Sunday. Huge school! Check out this HOSS!

MountainBreeze
09-09-2002, 07:04 AM
Couple Q's fer' ya':

1) Are you talking about Scituate Ma. or RI.? NEver been to Scituate RI. but my wife grew up minutes away from the light house in Scituate MA.

2) What lures do you use to fish for stripers / blues?

Thanks,
Rob

BigBo
09-09-2002, 09:27 AM
I'm referring to Scituate, MA.
These Blues were taking most anything thrown their way. I think you could have tossed a beer can at them and they'd try to take it. We used Rapalas, Hopkins, Yo-Zuri poppers. All worked.

MountainBreeze
09-09-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks BigBo!

Were you in a boat or casting from the jetty by the light house?

I don't have a boat so I'm stuck on shore.

Regards,
Rob

BigBo
09-09-2002, 10:01 AM
No we were in my boat just idling up to the breaking schools, toss the lures, fish on! Just have to keep moving with the schools. They were everywhere.

schoolie monster
09-09-2002, 10:41 AM
I mad a late decision (early decision 5am), because I had too much to do for my daughter's b-day party. Its a good thing, 'cause I'd have been sick having to leave those fish had I ventured out.

Glad you guys got into them... looks like things are gettin' sweet out there.

I have to say I have some reservations about leaving for two weeks knowing things are kicking up here. I had fish from shore friday night and had a nice (short) outing saturday morning. I know I'll be fishing, but I've got a feeling the next couple weeks are going to insane around Boston.

Van
09-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by schoolie monster
I've got a feeling the next couple weeks are going to insane around Boston.

THAT'S GUARANTEED :D :D :D :D

Fisherwoman
09-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi All, just got back in from the water, hit the blues around Minot's light again today BIGTIME, was nice too because all the weekend warriors who drive on top of the fish were not out today.

Coming out of the Harbor this AM we had blues and bass right off Pt Allerton bustin all over the surface. Some nice fish in the mix. These fish are feeding up bigtime, they were puking up Silversides, Peanut bunker and squid. Also heard of alot of tuna up again today, but didn't hear about anyone hooking up.

LIFE IS GOOD, MUST GO REST WEARY ARMS!!!

Van
09-09-2002, 04:05 PM
I'll be back out ther tomorrow, Just can't get enough!!!!!:D

I want to see that picture you took of Mike (with his fish) and me on my boat.

AveMariaCharters
09-09-2002, 04:08 PM
well i'm glad you guy sgot some fish this weekend.
i just got back from maine and we did very well up there MSBA-B TEAM win first place finally portland lost after 11 years.
but anyway the coast of maine is loaded with peannut bunker and bluefish and they comming our way so make sure you spool your reels and many lures with you because we lost tons of them last weekend .
good luck to all

Van
09-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by bass master
MSBA-B TEAM win first place finally portland lost after 11 years.
l

EXCELLENT MIKE.....CONGRATS!!!!!!!:D :D :D :happy:

Fisherwoman
09-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Van, I will try and get it developed this week before we leave!!!
Have fun tomorrow out there.

denis
09-09-2002, 07:15 PM
schoolie monster

2 weeks in florida?????

schoolie monster
09-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Hey Denis,

No, two weeks in Nantucket starting Saturday... we have a 9:30am ferry. Takin' the boat, the 4x4, and a bunch of rods. It will probably be the last trip there for a couple years, so I'm really looking forward to it.

We actually have flights to go to florida for 6 days over thanksgiving and I was planning to get out a couple days on the Indian River, but my wife is pregnant with twins and some recent events have made it very unlikely she will be able to travel at that point.

Depending on how things are going, I may actually still go and hook up with my dad and fish a few days but that's all up in the air.

So I may still get my redfish this year... if not, it may have to wait a couple years. My redfishing career may be on hold... in the meantime, I'll have to suffer through a couple weeks fishing the madaket flats for bass, and chasin' albies and bonito. Plenty of blues around too the last few years. Its a great time of year over there. Very few people, usually fantastic weather (knockin' on wood). We need it.

You gotta trip to florida planned this winter or spring?

Van
09-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Schoolie:

We are going to FL over the thanksgiving week too.
We're taking the kids to tampa for a couple of days then Orlando, where are you going?

I may try to sneak in a charter in tampa...... Shhhhhh !!!!:eek:

schoolie monster
09-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Let me give you the original rough itinerary...

We were going to fly into Orlando that Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Then stay in or around Orlando (rent a house w/ pool) with some of Karen's relatives. Probably spend Friday night in Melbourne and go out with our guide Saturday morning. Back over to Orlando to take my daughter to Disney and Sea World. Maybe squeak in another charter monday... doubtful.

All I know now is we have tickets to Orlando and I may or not go... I really would like to get another shot at some fish down there before I go on my twin-induced time/budget crunch for the next couple years.

We'll see what happens.

Definitely get out if you can. I don't know if you've fished down there, but its sweet. I don't know much about that time of year, but they have alot of species that are around all year.

You takin' the kids to Disney.

Van
09-12-2002, 03:08 PM
SM:
We did Disney a couple of years ago.

This time its tampa first (arrive Saturday) for busch gardens (free beer):happy:
Thats near the coast so I want to hook up with a charter for 1 trip, maybe full or half day. But we will be there for about 2-3 days.
Head for Orlando next, I think around the tuesday b4 thanksgiving. We are going to do Seaworld and Universal, but have not arranged the final itinerary just yet. Thanksgiving with my brother-in-law has to fit in there somewhere too. Leaving Fl on Sunday.

What kind of fishing are you saying near Orlando??, it's quite a way inland isn't it?? Or do you mean Melbourne (where is that?)

I have not mentioned the F word to my wife yet, she may freak out, but if my son bugs her enough we may be able to pull it off.
:D

I have fished Fl a couple of times in the past. St Pete for King mackeral and cuda. Long time ago !!!

last year I did Key West for tarpon it was a good news/bad news kind of trip, but I managed to get one almost in the boat. We also did some blue water while there and got a couple of small dolphin.

Fishguts
09-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Hey schoolie
Take a look at the October issue of sport fishing They have a great artical on fishing the St Johns River. It will get Your Heart racing and your Palms sweating.