View Full Version : Trolling the current?

Biteme
10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
A couple of months ago I copied a Goo Goo Eye swimmer, the 6" version. I threw it a couple of times and got hits, but no fish. The plug dives deep and seemed to be hitting bottom as slow as I could go. I fish a lot of rocky, shallow areas. I fished last week with Professor Moriarty and he mentioned that the plug was to be dropped back in a rip and held there and swim with current from a boat. Last night I fished a good rip from shore, waded out past a rock pile and let the plug swim in the current. The fish crushed the plug. I'm wondering if anybody else does this from shore or a boat.

RIJIMMY
10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Not sure if this is what you mean, but I do it all of the time with bombers or mambos in an outflow. Just let them sit in the current and do their thing.

capesams
10-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Pearl white plastic salmon plug...same thing,,park yourself up tide of a rip..let it float back JUST ahead of a rip an hold on...old style fishing.....jig's,eels, sandeels,squid,poppers just about any good swimming plug works this way.

NEXT2NUN
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Capesams, Hey those salmon plugs are a seceret shhhhh:btu:

tattoobob
10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes indeed

capesams
10-17-2007, 07:27 PM
so's tiein on a rubber bungie strap to your stern cleat w/180* mono an a white jig...letter go..boing boing..fish on,,hand line in...opps! thats agin the law..you didn't read this.

ProfessorM
10-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Good for you. Bending the line tie can eliminate the bottom bumping too. Now PM me where you were:wave:

Slipknot
10-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Biteme, take me fishing someday soon
please

Clogston29
10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
BM conrads and cowboys are great for that. gotten a few nice fish on BW deep diver also. I wish there were more wood swimmers available that got down a few feet. I need to give tattoo's more time. if the water's pretty shallow, a BM junior is very good holding in a current. the hits you get fishing that way are great, come out of nowhere and alot of times they really smack it, probably because they use to current in their attack on the plug.

Biteme
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Paul you know where......on the drop!

ProfessorM
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Are you talking the south side? If so I am not surprised. I am a little jealous living so far away and not being able to go there for an hour or 2 this time of year, but if I can't be there at least someone is. That high tide time was perfect. I have never fished plugs much from that location but it sounds like you used your noggin and figured something out. Plenty of current there for that type of application. Great job.

likwid
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Pearl white plastic salmon plug...

So you're the one that went snatching at CH way back when? j/k ;)

GonnaCatchABig1
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
i caught my first striper doing this under a bridge back when i was like 7.. i figured well if moving water makes the shad look like its swimming.. should work with a current. no sooner did i stop it and let it sit in the current then did a 22" bass nail it.. now the only problem i had then was between the current and the power of the fish.. i was a bit out gunned weight wise.. luckily the guy who let me use one of his rods and shads came to the rescue and held me back from falling under the bridge..

two main factors i believe why it's so effective.. one it appears to be a small fish in trouble. it's struggling to make it up current. and would appear to be losing the battle. thus making it appear weaker/exhausted and unable to escape.

two.. if the water is being channeled through a small area to an opening on the other side.. the fish will stay off to the sides of the current(behind bridge pylons for example) waiting for the above, and even weaker fish to be washed through and right into their faces. or if its open water, they will hide behind rocks/other structure or in the pockets of non moving water and do the same.
of course you will always get the cruisers too. who just happen to be passing by while riding the current and cant resist an easy meal.

just think if slow moving prey is tempting.. non moving prey is even better.

anyway.. i try it when i can get a good current. letting the current take it out as far as i can allow. with a lose drag so as to keep some tension on it and make it swim. hopefully it will find its way next to a pocket.