View Full Version : Freikin Pine Tree Stumps

Swimmer
10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I cut down this pine tree that I dug up in the woods when we moved into the house in 1980. Looked ugly and was. I cut it down last winter. Just today I started digging around at its I hope dead base and cutting away these eight and ten inch around roots. Holy Moly what a long day and I am only about half way there. I just hope when I get cut what I can see there wont be a main root under the tree stump. Did a reel good job of dulling one chain on the saw and I am working at making dull the second chain. One more in the bucket. There i s a much smaller tree of the same origin that I have in my sights about thrity feet away. It is only about ten inches around where the big one I am working on now was about thirty inches around.

stripersnipr
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
If you think your half way done...........then your about 1/10th of the way done. I had one I chipped away steadily at a couple of hours a weekend for just about all summer and most of the Fall. Finally, with no end in sight I called in the experts to come in with a machine. They come on Monday while I'm at work. I call home at 9:00 A.M and ask the bride how they were making out. She told me they were done and gone and they told her to tell me that ten more minutes I would've had it. $275.00.

striperman36
10-18-2007, 07:43 AM
get a chain, a nice jerk out rope, wrap the chain around the stump, hook it up to your truck. Drive to the package store!!!

The Dad Fisherman
10-18-2007, 08:01 AM
get a chain, a nice jerk out rope, wrap the chain around the stump, hook it up to your truck. Drive to the package store!!!

Pick up fifth, Drink Heavily, Call Auto Body Guy......

striperman36
10-18-2007, 08:08 AM

fishaholic18
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM

Thats what I'd do...I can fix my own transmission though..:fishslap:

Swimmer
10-18-2007, 08:36 AM
When I had the F-250 I did that many times with unwanted shrubs. The f-250 had a bulletproof tranny. The Ranger is a little light in the sneakers to be stumping with. I keep at it. I planted the darn tree so I guess its my problem taking it all down.

MrHunters
10-18-2007, 10:36 AM
If you think your half way done...........then your about 1/10th of the way done. I had one I chipped away steadily at a couple of hours a weekend for just about all summer and most of the Fall. Finally, with no end in sight I called in the experts to come in with a machine. They come on Monday while I'm at work. I call home at 9:00 A.M and ask the bride how they were making out. She told me they were done and gone and they told her to tell me that ten more minutes I would've had it. $275.00.

ouch,
thats what would happen to me.

BW from AZ
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I cut them off tall for better leverage, water the crap out of it, then pull the stump over an old truck rim standing up to lift it out of the hole. Or kick back and watch some one else do it. I never get enough of that.