View Full Version : Most dangerous places to surfcast

RedHerring
10-17-2007, 08:56 PM
What do you think are the most dangerous surf locations?

In this area, I would think that Hazard Ave in Narragansett is the worst; the place is haunted by the lost souls of fishermen. I won't even fish there even though my grandfather had a place nearby and I had easy access.

The North Rip of Block Island is a place that will suck fishermen in with its siren call. When I was fishing there int he 80s, an oldtimer from Block was lost there. It is seductivey easy to walk way, way out...

The extreme tip of Gooseberry is radical and I am suprised that no one have been swept away there. I fished there a few times in my youth, but the prospect of being caught by a rising tide is too terrifying to deal with. If you fell in, you would float around Buzzards Bay all night dodging tugs and barges and commerical fishing boats out fo New Bedford. No thanks.

Chugbug
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Rock pile at Plum Gut.......:happy:

jim sylvester
10-18-2007, 06:06 AM
I second hazard

been fishing most of my life and there are two places i don't feel comfortable....day or night....alone or with a partner
'

hazard and beavertail

something about these two places.....

lost lives in the surf and unpredictable waves

JohnR
10-18-2007, 06:32 AM
RI:

Beavertail & The Avenues - One slip, and down the hole you fall

Mass: Some places I have seen from Marblehead make Hazzard and Newton look a little tame in comparison. Imagine something more slippery, more steep, and throw in an 11 foot tide and my fellow Rhodiers will get the picture :shocked:

Brother Brian
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM
My body will no longer allow me under/around the light at Montauk (I don't even know if there are still accessable rocks) but I never felt comfortable there and once went for a ride that ended with me being pinned between a rock and the wall with my rod still stuck in the place I was blown from about twenty feet away. Not fun.

Back Beach
10-18-2007, 07:21 AM
The avenues, no doubt. I've only admired them from a distance and that's about as close as I'm getting. Plenty of better places to fish without risking your life. Also, inlets comprised of shifting sand can be fatal on a dropping tide.Had plenty of close calls when I used to fish nauset inlet, both surf and boat.

luds
10-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Anywhere when you're standing next to "the_shocker". Watch out for hooks, rod tips to the eye, braid and mono traps etc. Always keep a safe distance. ;)

Look at that face. Scary! Surf Terrorist.:conf:

RIROCKHOUND
10-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Ave's can be deadly, but it is a matter of knowing when to fish them and how to fish them. A few on here can attest to close calls there though!

Joe
10-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Next to the guy who offers bad advice.

Fishpart
10-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Anywhere within John R's backcast range....:shocked::eek:

JFigliuolo
10-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Ave's can be deadly, but it is a matter of knowing when to fish them and how to fish them. A few on here can attest to close calls there though!

That's what I was thinking. I have no problem fishing the avenues, keep your head on straight, mind the conditions and respect the water.

NIB
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
What do you think are the most dangerous surf locations?

In this area, I would think that Hazard Ave in Narragansett is the worst; the place is haunted by the lost souls of fishermen. I won't even fish there even though my grandfather had a place nearby and I had easy access.

The North Rip of Block Island is a place that will suck fishermen in with its siren call. When I was fishing there int he 80s, an oldtimer from Block was lost there. It is seductivey easy to walk way, way out...

The extreme tip of Gooseberry is radical and I am suprised that no one have been swept away there. I fished there a few times in my youth, but the prospect of being caught by a rising tide is too terrifying to deal with. If you fell in, you would float around Buzzards Bay all night dodging tugs and barges and commerical fishing boats out fo New Bedford. No thanks.

I have to agree with all three of these.The sands on N-Rip are quite inviting..
Same with the deep water access of the Avenues..and Beavertail
Breezy Pt NY is another one of these type places gets swamped at high tide.
How do u leave a good bite??
I have fished the light in Montauk right after a hurricane maybe 8 yrs ago.Very uplifting..Fished some other precarious places in RI where the waves come out of no where.U can only do it on the calmest's of nights..Even then it's kinda scary..
RI is weird like that.U can be fishing fine for a hour and all of the sudden it's Hawaii 5/0...The worst encounter I've had was when I was on a jetty here in NJ.Rough water blitz conditions of large fish..Looking at the wave in awe when all of the sudden it dawned on me that I was gonna get it.As it rolled over it Blasted me 8 ft back in a milli second luckily a big rock stopped my progress.Luckily I was fine, shook my head and continued casting..Most who know me know I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack..Swept off does not bother me as much as getting tumbled.I have had the current floating me to NY before..swimming as hard as I could.I was just about to start stripping when I hit ground..Hold on to ur fishpole it can save ur life...It was three of us to this day I don't know how my friend made it..Getting tossed is bad..I always have a knife on my belt..I remember a post where Eben got hung up after getting blasted..Tumblina has no bearings..It's kinda scary..If u hit ur head ur done..Be careful out there.

Ed B
10-18-2007, 08:15 AM
The avenues, no doubt. I've only admired them from a distance and that's about as close as I'm getting. Plenty of better places to fish without risking your life. Also, inlets comprised of shifting sand can be fatal on a dropping tide.Had plenty of close calls when I used to fish nauset inlet, both surf and boat.

I would rate most Rocky ledges in a big sea as high on the danger list and they have taken bodies from Jamestown, Narraganset and Sachuest over the last decade. While I spend most of my time in RI now and usually on rocky terrain, highly underestimated in danger is wading out on the barren sandy shoals of Cape Cod in the fog. You have no structure or rock formation with which you can get a sense of direction and If you don't have a compass you are in trouble.
Also when you fish an inlet during the last stages of the tide, the water level will start rising on the incoming while the inlet is still dumping. You can be having a great time catching fish on the outer edges and when you turn around to make your way back to dry land, your route back has been covered with water. No longer is the escape route visable and you can end up having to wade through deep water and soft sand mixed by the current, which can be deadly if your feet get stuck and you fall forward. I would certainly rate Nauset Inlet as being one of the more dangerous places to fish for those unfamiliar with the constantly changing terrain.

I suppose the common thread in all places is know your terrain, think about what your going to do before you do it, don't take chances and hopefully learn from past experiences. Age and experience makes most fisherman more cautious.

fishpoopoo
10-18-2007, 08:19 AM
hazard and beavertail

+1

rough surf, be extra careful.

Saltheart
10-18-2007, 08:44 AM
I would say the Aves because it looks so easy to fish that area until a big wave kills you. I think beavertail is so obviously dangerous with big waves etc that you have no false feelings of safety so you are on guard from the start.

i also think that wading out long distances on sandy bars can also make people lower their guard and not think what happens when the tides come in or a rip forms at the points or over the bars. people can get swept away easily.

Rockport24
10-18-2007, 09:14 AM
RI:

Mass: Some places I have seen from Marblehead make Hazzard and Newton look a little tame in comparison. Imagine something more slippery, more steep, and throw in an 11 foot tide and my fellow Rhodiers will get the picture :shocked:

yeah John, that spot with a raging sea is freakin' scary.
Some spots in Gloucester can get nasty too

wheresmy50
10-18-2007, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Saltheart;532648]I would say the Aves because it looks so easy to fish that area until a big wave kills you. I think beavertail is so obviously dangerous with big waves etc that you have no false feelings of safety so you are on guard from the start.

[QUOTE]

I agree. Beavertail is far more dangerous but it looks dangerous so it's actually a little safer (if that makes sense). Most of the spots in Gansett aren't as bad by comparison. I can think of one place off to the right at a certain parking area that can get really bad since it's an overhang and there would be almost no way to get out without swimming south quite a bit.

Penfield Reef in CT can get a little hairy if you fish the incomming. Those 6-8 ft tides will get ya.

Trying to get a fish from any breachway can kill you. The east wall comes to mind as well when it comes to fish retrieval

RIJIMMY
10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Probabaly more of a personal issue, but I really struggle fishing the eastern shore of Pt Judith. The size of the boulders and the wave height are the factors. They're not big enough to walk on, the spaces are large between them and with thr waves, thr water rises 3 feet. I am like a drunken fool, with korkers on when I fish there. I have had some big spills and waves coming over me many times. I get pretty nervous fishing there.

JFigliuolo
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Probabaly more of a personal issue, but I really struggle fishing the eastern shore of Pt Judith. The size of the boulders and the wave height are the factors. They're not big enough to walk on, the spaces are large between them and with thr waves, thr water rises 3 feet. I am like a drunken fool, with korkers on when I fish there. I have had some big spills and waves coming over me many times. I get pretty nervous fishing there.

One word... wetsuit.

Vogt
10-18-2007, 11:33 AM
All of those previously mentioned here, with the addition of Penfield Reef and the Charles Island Bar , both in Ct. I fish Charles quite a bit and have personally seen 2 incodents in the last year. The tide rips against you so hard there, if you dont know the bar, and dont understand the currents , you shouldnt even try it.

piemma
10-18-2007, 11:33 AM
North Rip on BI. I almost died there in 91. The sand on the bar is very soft. 5 ft wide and 20 foot drops on either side. 6kt current running across it. Got swept off and lived to tell about it. Closest I ever came to dying in the surf.

Nebe
10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
IMO the east wall is far more dangerous than the avanues. waaaaaaaay more dangerous. the avanues are dangerous as well- dont get me wrong, but the east wall would claim ten times the lives if the same # of people had the sack to fish it. ive gone in he drink at both. One was a rouge wave at hazard, the other was a slip and a spashdown on the backside of the E wall... :hihi:

Pete F.
10-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I think anyplace you are exposed to the swells from the open ocean is dangerous.
There is a big difference in waves. Stand on Gay Head or the bluffs on Cutty on a calm day and watch the swells come in, you can see them come in sets and they are different. Once in awhile a set is bigger, sometimes a lot bigger.

piemma
10-18-2007, 01:09 PM
One word... wetsuit.

Just so you guys know. the old timers like Lamar, Guilettone, use to say, "If you fish the East side of Point Jude and say that you never fell down, you are a liar...

chris L
10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
the avenues basically cause if you go in you better swim away from shore , if your zoned instead of focused your dead . being battered against the rocks or worse washed into one of the over hangs . your never coming out alive . I wont fish here .some times there are knuckleheads there .

beavertail is for me a safer place cause I know that its a tough place and I fish it very carefully . when its too rough I wont even try .

any breachway these days when the knuckleheads that dont know how to fish it with others . Some times I would rather watch that fish .

north rip very dangerous due to the rip and drop offs . very inviting tried it 2 weeks ago alone. lets just say I have kids to teach how to fish safely . I must prctice what I preach . really is amazing the distance you can walk out and remember your route . So I left .

sand bars or even some beaches on the cape in the fog can be very tough to get back to shore . been scared a few times .

I never fished north shore but from what I have heard sounds like something you have to grow into .

ct has to rips that get people every year , I know how to deal with it so I dont worry . penfield is the more dangerous of the 2 due to a suncken section that puts the water too high for shorter people to make it past .

montauk is only for those that know it well when there is a swell . I would rather hit the cove or the rocks before the wall .

I play it safe as I can . I have done enough stupid crap in my life and I am still here . The law of averages are against me at this mild late stage of my life . If you fish these places be safe and think if you are hsitant pay attention to your gut .

RIJIMMY
10-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Just so you guys know. the old timers like Lamar, Guilettone, use to say, "If you fish the East side of Point Jude and say that you never fell down, you are a liar...

thats good to know, I'm not the only one! I usually come out of there with sore back, elbows, knees and on a good night.........a shredded thumb :musc:

The Dad Fisherman
10-18-2007, 02:18 PM
The Absolute Most Dangerous Place to fish.........where ever you go on your honeymoon :yikes:

actually up around here I don't know how people fish off the jetty at the mouth of the merrimac.....absolute death trap. Tried it once......never again.

Rockport24
10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
so true about the mouth of the merri
that thing is crazy, the coast guard has been known to warn people to get off that thing when the tide is coming in!

The Iceman 6
10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree with Penfield. It's a long walk back from that lighthouse, I always fish that on outgoing and tide comes in quick. One time my brothers were fishing Chatham inlet and the fog came in they didn't know which was was land and got very lucky, fog is a whole nother variable. When you think of dangerous places the first thing that comes to your mind is rocks (and they are very dangerous especially the breachways) but you walk way out on a sandbar and the tides coming in and you lose your bearings, it's a sad ending to the story.
Stay Safe!

Ice

bassballer
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
beavertail, the aves, and a nearby point are basically the only areas I fish. At night at these spots i dont have to worry about crowds and theres somethin about being on those rocks in the middle of the night with no one around that is surreal.

Put me on a beach and thats when i feel uncomfortable.

Mr. Sandman
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
North Rip on BI. I almost died there in 91. The sand on the bar is very soft. 5 ft wide and 20 foot drops on either side. 6kt current running across it. Got swept off and lived to tell about it. Closest I ever came to dying in the surf.

ditto in 82

nightfighter
10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
RI:

Those boys showed you some of my haunts, huh? There's one more, a private access, that's a real risk/reward spot. I only hit it maybe twice a year.

Adam_777
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Went to east side of Pt.Jude once I fell and got a nasty cut from the slime covered rocks.Was pretty nasty there.Bought some corkers real soon after and chest waders.I fish b-tail when I feel lucky and that place can get nasty real fast.Black rock is another spot that can get pretty tricky.I've walked the avenues but not fished them.All these spots can be really tricky but whats funny is alot of the old timers I talk to about surfcasting say yeah a twelve pack and soak some chunks is what it's all about.I couldn't see myself at any of the pre mentioned places after a few drinks.Would be the last drinks you ever had!My only advice to people wanting to try these places is be alert,scope them out in the day,corkers and waders are a must,a self inflating PFD is a good idea also,cell phone in a ziplock bag sealed, if you can swim out to a lobster pot or a buoy go for it better chance of survival than waves crushing rocks.Just be careful everyone!Be smart ...never turn your back on the water.

afterhours
10-18-2007, 07:02 PM
beavertail makes me nervous, used to fish it a lot years ago, not so much now.

ilovetwofish
10-18-2007, 07:03 PM
First rock in ganset to the east wall very tough just be careful try to have a partner.

RedHerring
10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I want to re-iterate about the North Rip of Block; I am not covering up a secret spot; the place is a genuine evil death trap; it just invites you to walk further and further and further out....

vanstaal
10-18-2007, 11:13 PM
personal issue for me Hazard Ave had a real close one last year.:eek:

piemma
10-19-2007, 05:51 AM
I want to re-iterate about the North Rip of Block; I am not covering up a secret spot; the place is a genuine evil death trap; it just invites you to walk further and further and further out....

Actually, there are a dozen (12) surf fishermen who have died at the North Rip. The danger is exactly what Red Herring said. You can see large breaking and you know that with 2 more steps you can reach them....
Met a couple of Coast Guard guys out there once and they told me that the North Rip is famous for the "Red Ball float". I asked what that was and they explained that the first thing the Coasties look for is the "Red Ball" on the waders. When a surfguy dies the body puffs up and pops to the surface after a couple of days. Back when we wore "rubber" waders Greylite and Red Ball were the 2 best waders. The Red Balls had a Red Ball logo on the front and was easy to spot.

american spirit
10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
yup, clogston had to swim to the other side of a cove last night to get away from me. :uhuh: all wetsuit now if he's out with me. easy get away.

Anywhere when you're standing next to "the_shocker". Watch out for hooks, rod tips to the eye, braid and mono traps etc. Always keep a safe distance. ;)

Look at that face. Scary! Surf Terrorist.:conf:

RNC
10-19-2007, 03:04 PM
I'd say Beavertail and Sachuest Point. Then again any place can be dangerous but it comes down to your comfort level and knowledge of the area.

BasicPatrick
10-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I have fished Cape Point on a stiff south wind...Bad

I have fished both the South Side and under the light at Montauk....Bad

I have fished the Avenues...very Bad (even the approach is funky)

I have fished Beavertail...Bad

I have fished Squibby (all the way down to the points)....bad

All in all, I have to agree with John R....you get North of Boston and you get more steep, jagged rocks and a tide that is 3 to 4 times that of anywhere in NY or RI. The amount of water is astounding. I have to say the northern coast of MA/NH/ME is much more dangerous because the wrong wave hits and you don't worry about what to do after as the amount of water pressure in the wave has already broken all the ribs in your chest. If the blast of the wave doesn't kill you, there is no safe place to fall into, all the rocks up there can cut you up. Nasty nasty area.

I will never forget Crazy Alberto's first reaction to the size of the tides in Hull...it was like he was in shock.

Personal skill, appropriate equipment and local knowledge are always the largest factors in where and how much risk any person should take. I like fishing rocks and being wet, thus, I gear upf or that. Hell, een my fat arse can get into a wet suit and flippers (:>)

shadow
10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree w/ nebe the east wall is rough the fall on the rocks could hurt you worst then going in the drink there for sure.used to fish CT. abit too as well penfield at night is not a spot for those who do not Know it well.

mrstriper
10-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I have tripped over rocks in a foot of water, fallen off my boat (once at the dock, once alittle further out), so I would have to say ANYWHERE:humpty:

justplugit
10-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Many lives lost on NE Point at BI and huge rougue waves, anytime of the day, in the York Maine area.

Thom
10-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Got to be beavertail after watching three sets of waves come in it looked like it was safe to fish this one rock well the next set picks me up and toss me about four feet back luckly it was toward shore nothing damaged except my pride. Never fish that place alone again. ThomT

bill huki
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Here is a pretty safe place that has been a real killer. 5 people in 5 years in the late 90's. Sandwich Creek.

eastendlu
10-22-2007, 10:19 AM
To me its anywhere that you are not properly geared or knowlegedely prepared to fish.You can just slip on a rock and knock yourself out and drown just because you did not have korkers on a sunny day at any spot.

smac
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I had a good scare at one of the avenues last year. Pretty good swell comin in and I just wanted to go watch for a minute. Didnt think it was very bad at all til I got close to the edge. Water disappeared and a wave stood up in front of me. I had stone dust coming off my korkers as I ran back up that rock face.

You gotta pick and choose your days over there.

DaveS
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Thought I'd bump this as fall is kicking off. Lets be safe out there fellas :)

doc
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
believe it or not but cranes beach on a moonless night incoming tide out on those bars can be crazy scary...huge currents btwn the bars and if you dont know your way back then...hello portugal...

stcroixman
10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
that sand bar at Conimicut point here in Warwick has taken many lives of fisherman and beachgoers. You can go out a mile at low and all of a sudden coming back its High and the current is wicked.

People still ignore the City signs to stay off it.

Doublerunner
10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
First time I ever went to Beavertail I was invited there by a friend who knows that area extremely well. We're standing on the same cliff about 20' apart max and I look over to him and he's in the surf. Never even heard him get washed off from the constant roar of the waves and siren blasting constantly. Fortunately he was okay...a little banged up but okay

First time I ever fished at Point Judith east wall there is a memorial there to a fisherman who was washed away from the shore there....that makes you think twice

Rob Rockcrawler
10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
A good thread to bump up. I fish most of the spots mentioned. HAvent done much on the north shore. Last year was my first trip to BI, and the north rip was a scare SOB. I walked about 10 feet out and that was enough, six inches of water laping over my boots and she had my respect. Its funny i bought a inflatable pfd a couple seasons ago and have only used it twice. Now if i think i need to wear it i dont fish the spot. You would think having it on would make me feel better, it just makes me realize that if i need it i shouldnt be there. The East Wall is a scary bastard. Easy enough if you are pulling scup on the rocks, cant imagine landing a cow there. Every time i walk the wall i look for a decent spot to land a fish. I found one that is marginal at BEST.

quick decision
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
i was knoked off a rock just south of the lighthouse at Montauk. Came out of nowhere and blew me back 8 feet. Then the undertow dragged me past the rock into deeper water. I ran back to shore as fast as I could, and got pounded again by a slightly smaller wave. Finaly made it back to shore and reflected for a few minutes.

ivanputski
10-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Like many, i came damn close to going in the water at hazard while fishing alone on a big night... That place has a mental hold on me now... cant focus on fishing... and I had a close call on a big surf/new moon night at the very tip of the east wall... at least I'd get swept into the harbor of refuge, but that was pre-wetsuit... but honestly, i think most of us are attracted to this type of fishing because if the thrill associated with the risk...

Islander77
10-07-2009, 01:26 AM
A few here will know this.. Go into Twin Maples on the island look up you will see a pristine cherry colored lami custom wrapped old glass blank ask John bout it... was an old timers from island that drowned fishing north rip... But lets face facts there are tons of places that are dangerous.. Hell even quonny pond can be.. .yes thats right i said quonny pond.. there is a place out back you can wade to to get to the channel and a rock pile... one step to far DEEP water... WH light can be dangerous also

piemma
10-07-2009, 04:59 AM
My friend Gary Bradbury, Navy Seal and a dive Master died at Beavertail 3 years ago surfishing when he was hit by a wave, knocked down and hit his head (that's the theory). They found the body a few days later.

rizzo
10-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Fished cuttyhunk during the day in a bad swell/hurricane. 4-5' swells coming in, when about 1/4 mile offshore I saw a wave that was 10'. We had time to creep back up to the cliffs, if it was night we would have been done. The wave still was mid thigh deep up at the back of the cliff. All those open to the ocean areas can be very dangerous.

The Dad Fisherman
10-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Joppa Flats at Night.......You have to be aware of when the current picks up or you can get caught in the Merrimac for a journey.....Had one guy in the club that went a little to far one night and I guess a Boat in the area found him Hugging a Channel Marker.

Not to mention that sometimes, usually on the weekends, you are dealing with the drunks in their boats that can't see you in the dark

also if you're out there and the fog rolls in it can be very disorienting.

Clogston29
10-07-2009, 06:28 AM
any place can be dangerous if your unprepared or careless.

piemma
10-07-2009, 06:32 AM
any place can be dangerous if your unprepared or careless.

You are correct my friend. Ask Nebe about the night he's fishing the A-Frame inside the Harbor of Refuge. His plug bag got stuck between some rocks and he was pinned down with waves washing over him He almost drowned in 3 feet of water.

striprman
10-07-2009, 08:19 AM
I've seen broken bones, smashed legs and bloody heads at the canal. Those rockweed covered stones are slippery.:smash:

bassballer
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I took a freind with me to beavertail one night. Always asking to take him out fishing, so i finally gave him. Gave him an old pair of waders and set him up with some korkers. We walked down the rocks to the surf and told him to fish a certain area. I wandered off a little and came back to him an hour later. He hadnt moved an inch from where I left him. I said "you can move around ya know". He said "$?ck that!, this place is scary as sheet, im not movin anywhere". The tail can screw with your head.

Bocephus
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
ive had a few hairy nights at the b-ways in Rhody. Fighting a fish when I realized everyone that was next to me was gone. Looked up in time to see a monstah wave breaking directly into me. Got washed back about 10ft, had to change underwear. Lesson learned, pay attention to your surroundings.

luds
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
ive had a few hairy nights at the b-ways in Rhody. Fighting a fish when I realized everyone that was next to me was gone. Looked up in time to see a monstah wave breaking directly into me. Got washed back about 10ft, had to change underwear. Lesson learned, pay attention to your surroundings.

That's a perfect example why a friend is probably the best piece of safety equipment you can have. Canalman or Clogston would have been screaming at me to get out of the way or dragging me off the rock if that didn't work.

bradf1
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
On the Vineyard Squibnockett point at night is pretty frightening. Slip and hurt yourself and you might be there for days before anyone finds you.

Crafty Angler
10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
That's a perfect example why a friend is probably the best piece of safety equipment you can have...

Without a doubt, luds

Smartest thing I've heard yet on the subject - but even that's not a guarantee

Short true story - two guys - Cambodians maybe, if memory serves - were fishing on the rocks at the end of Sachuest Point during a big swell - one of them gets washed over the side but his friend is able to reach him in the surf with the tip of his rod so he can haul him back up the rocks to safety

Unfortunately, it was a 2-piece rod. If you know that spot in a surge, you know the ending. Pretty sad...:hs:

Like Dylan said, one should never be where one does not belong - but the line on when and where that is gets fuzzy if you've got fish fever

There are plenty of dangerous spots to surfcast - I'd have to say that the list of completely safe ones is so short that I'm hard put to come up with one off the top of my head

I dunno, maybe the best piece of safety equipment is actually between your ears - don't feel bad about using it

UPSmanMatt
10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I took a freind with me to beavertail one night. Always asking to take him out fishing, so i finally gave him. Gave him an old pair of waders and set him up with some korkers. We walked down the rocks to the surf and told him to fish a certain area. I wandered off a little and came back to him an hour later. He hadnt moved an inch from where I left him. I said "you can move around ya know". He said "$?ck that!, this place is scary as sheet, im not movin anywhere". The tail can screw with your head.

It was nice to have it all to myself last night. :chased:

Just me and my great grandfather and grampa. That place is actually my comfort zone. I hate sand.

lighthouse
10-07-2009, 09:21 PM
south side at Beavertail Light. One slip your shakin' tenderized and swallowed whole! There are few places that rival the danger of this spot.

If your not extremely heads up you may find yourself in a world of hurt in the blink of an eye. Its like every 20th wave BA-BOOOOM! And everything is swept away and shredded over the jagged rocks. You never see it coming. Be careful.

Wading out at the end of the Narrow River is fun when you take the extra step too far...oops and over your head, but thats not nearly as dangerous as the Beavertail.

JohnR
10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
It was nice to have it all to myself last night. :chased:

Just me and my great grandfather and grampa. That place is actually my comfort zone. I hate sand.

south side at Beavertail Light. One slip your shakin' tenderized and swallowed whole! There are few places that rival the danger of this spot.

If your not extremely heads up you may find yourself in a world of hurt in the blink of an eye. Its like every 20th wave BA-BOOOOM! And everything is swept away and shredded over the jagged rocks. You never see it coming. Be careful.

Wading out at the end of the Narrow River is fun when you take the extra step too far...oops and over your head, but thats not nearly as dangerous as the Beavertail.

I need to say RE Beavertail. Some of the North Shore Mass spots I saw the past couple years are like Beavertail but slicker than Newton/Hazard, with a 10 foot tide :eyes:

Not quite the wave action though

PaulS
10-08-2009, 07:24 AM
I live about a mile from one of the Conn. spots mentioned a few times and fish it fairly frequently. As long as you pay close attention to the tides, I don't think its dangerous.

I'd go w/Beavertail.

eastendlu
10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
HA beavertail is for wimps i'll take you to a spot that will forever put a stain on your wetsuit .:jump1::devil2:

ThrowingTimber
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I know a place thats so nasty that when you make it back to the truck you're just happy no one broke a leg. :uhuh:

ThrowingTimber
10-08-2009, 09:17 AM
HA beavertail is for wimps i'll take you to a spot that will forever put a stain on your wetsuit .:jump1::devil2:

Sounds good Louie I'm in :uhuh:

PaulS
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm in too (but I may just watch).

I like to watch:grins:

Clogston29
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I need to say RE Beavertail. Some of the North Shore Mass spots I saw the past couple years are like Beavertail but slicker than Newton/Hazard, with a 10 foot tide :eyes:

Not quite the wave action though

if you head out to those spots when there is significant wave action, you deserve what you get. luckily the wave action seams more predictable up here, fewer rouges. although one place i fish is good for one a night. i've actually lost quite a few contact lenses getting blasted by those.