View Full Version : Save Second Base

Swimmer
10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Did anyone see the news last thursday or friday about the two female seniors in high school in one of the mid coast states that started a fund raiser for breast cancer awareness and research. Since it is Breast Cancer Awareness month the two girls design a pink t-shirt and solicited donations. On the front of the t-shirt it said "Save Second Base". Thier prinicipal didn't think it was appropriate and made the girls stop seeking donations on school property. It made national news. I thought it was funny. Being a baseball fan, I think second ( . ) ( . ) base is important.:kewl:

HighTide
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Maybe the principle has teenage daughters.

Gotta give those girls credit, they are pretty clever

2boxers
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Somone else makes them that say save the ta-ta's

FishermanTim
10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
There's nothing like drowning the fires of creativity and ingenuity.
Then you wonder how is it that some girls have self image issues later in life.
It may be inappropriate attire for school, but I hope these kids continue their fund raising on their own, and when they get the recognition they are do (and they will!) they should conveniently forget to mention their school when "thanking all those who supported us in this endeavor".

Sure, the message may be a "little" risqué, but short of hitting you in the head with a 2x4, it would seem to get the message across rather nicely.

The Dad Fisherman
10-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Sad part is....it probably isn't the Principal that has the issue with it. Its probably some Prude on the PTA. Dealing with other parents REALLY sucks some times

RIJIMMY
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Im far from a prude but I wouldnt want those sold in my kids high school.

ProfessorM
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Pretty mild in this day and age IMO.

Jimbo
10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Hearing in graphic detail, just this week, about the sex-ed topics my 11 year old is being taught in her health class, and additionally having a high school senior daughter I've observing first hand what she and her peers feel is appropriate dress, not to mention the crude things they are allowed to parade around school written on notebooks or silk screened on T-shirts, I hardly think a creative phrase on a shirt that's intended to raise funds and awareness from an age group on a topic that I guarantee they are largely uneducated about, is inappropriate. I think they deserve a community awareness award and some support from school administrators and educators.

Redsoxticket
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
The principal probably doen't want to be reprimanded. There are parents and teachers that will oppose the idea of the t-shirt and no matter if it is right or wrong the principal will take the heat.
I think it was a good call. What next cervical cancer awareness, homerun .