View Full Version : Boat Trailer Tip

jeffsod
09-11-2002, 03:59 PM
On my way down 495 early Sunday morning I came upon one lone vehicle but had not really seen or noticed it until I was right on top of it. Ok so it was 5am or so and I wasn't quite awake but that is kind of the point I am getting to. The vehicle in question was a pickup towing a 23 foot SeaCraft (John it had an I/O in case you are wondering). Now there didn't seem to be any working running lights in the rear or maybe they were so dim I missed them and the boat was large or wide enough to block the taillights of the tow vehicle. In the early morning new moon darkness this was just a dark mass rolling down the highway to vehicles approaching from the rear.

My point is that a little red reflective tape on the rear frame of the trailer would go a long way to help vehicles see you especially if you trailer on the highway and tend to be doing it in the dark hours and could cover you if your lights burnout as they have a tendency to do.

I have some on one of my trailers and do intend on adding it to the other after seeing that.

Jenn
09-11-2002, 11:49 PM
dont normally check the boat section....but anyway...I agree!!! we travel a lot at night or evening to beat traffic......great post I think....we never leave without checking lights if towing anything! (camper trailer etc) my hubby got some of the tape they use on the tractor trailers.....if you can get your hands on any....it is highly reflective!!!! not only is it safer to others on the road...but to you and your precious toys!!!

once again great post (because we too have had this happen where we came up on a boat and just barely saw it!!! same circumstance!!)

fishsmith
09-12-2002, 07:02 AM
Good tip, and if you've got a roller trailer check the cotter pins/clips holding the rollers, I lost one roller this year, and noticed that the other cotter pins on my trailer were in pretty rough shape.

Van
09-12-2002, 07:35 AM
I see many trailers without proper lighting breacuse they tend to corrode out the wiring.
Can you say salt water corrosion!!!
So....

I have heard that if you unplug the lights before dunking the trailer, it will help to resist the corrosion and prolong their life.

JohnR
09-12-2002, 07:53 AM
Interesting & good thread...

The vehicle in question was a pickup towing a 23 foot SeaCraft (John it had an I/O in case you are wondering).

ARGHHHH!!!! :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :D :laughs:

BEETLE
09-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Good tip, I also put on my list to get that reflective tape as well.
As far as Vans comment - in my trailer owners manual it suggests "disconnecting the wiring harness before submerging trailer in water. lighting of a bulb submerged in water may cause it to burn out" (ie: it will "pop" if hot bulb touches cold water:smash: )
Beetle