View Full Version : How it all begins...

eelman
10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
In Rhode Island its as close to a sure thing as you can get...the first hint of nice weather in early march...it trickles in...Those first schoolie reports....Then they become the first "confirmed schoolie reports"

Then the Clammer says, he has been nailing fish all winter and thats his favorite season....

Then my all time favorite..."Somone caught a 50lber in the Narrow River on a poping plug, the big ones are here" That comes every single year an April...I wish I had a dime for how many times that one was said each and every season....Only in Rhode Island

riverrat2
10-25-2007, 12:27 PM
On the opposite end people will claim to be bailing 20#+ fish up until christmas. But at the same time these fish never seem to find a scale?.....

eelman
10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
On the opposite end people will claim to be bailing 20#+ fish up until christmas. But at the same time these fish never seem to find a scale?.....

Yup, thats always the case...Its december 26th and you hear.."Awesome at the breachway this aft, all kinds of 20lbers" Same stuff year in and year out...Never find a scale is the key word, because its all BS...But its bs that we are all used to hearing...

Blitzseeker
10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
The reality is that one person caught a 20 lber, one time, on one day in early December. Then the rumor mill gets a hold of it and by the time it gets to your own ears it's "people were killing 20 lbers this week at the breachway!" Kind of like when you do those experiments where someone whispers "The moon is made of blue cheese" into somone's ear at the beginning of a line of 100 people and the last person hears "go to the moon, please".

And that's why you don't chase reports.

Back Beach
10-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Here's how it really begins....

riverrat2
10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
The fish would have to be A LOT bigger than 20# for me to want to freeze in december to catch them. Mike what happened to that one in the middle????

bart
10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
well i guess it wasn';t worth it to fish late last year when it blew SW the last week of Nov pushing the sea herring in close, thus resulting in 15 lb blues and 20-35lb bass for the whole week.

Vogt
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
This year in March I caught 15+ pound bass and personally witnessed 20+pounders caught. This is not BS. I was there. This is in the rivers, at night, on artificials. Things like that DO happen. My fish never find a scale(besides the boga:)) because I dont take fish. That doesnt mean I dont catch fish......:)

But, On the other hand I agree, BS does get blown around quite a bit. You just have to make sure who you get your info from is reliable and saw it first hand.

Vogt
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
MARCH This is one of my close buddies.

Clammer
10-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Volt ;;

leave my f $%^&*() holdovers alone :rotfl:

Vogt
10-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Volt ;;

leave my f $%^&*() holdovers alone :rotfl:

Never :musc::)

baldwin
10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Vogt, look closer at that picture. He didn't catch that fish in March, he caught it in the fall and was too in love with it to part with it for the winter.

Back Beach
10-26-2007, 06:54 AM
well i guess it wasn';t worth it to fish late last year when it blew SW the last week of Nov pushing the sea herring in close, thus resulting in 15 lb blues and 20-35lb bass for the whole week.

Where?

RIROCKHOUND
10-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Where?

What do you care;
you're done for the year. :D:D:D
now give me all your eels :hang:

I heard that Block Island Jeff catches 40lb bass all winter long on clam-bellies at CG channel...

jim sylvester
10-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Where?

ri

eelman
10-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Somewhere between the west wall and route one and somewhere a liitle south of gibert stewart herring run...

But dont be fooled, you may get one 12lb fish for 100 dinks...Its all BS........

bart
10-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Where?

where we fished the last the day of Nov last year. remember all those huge blues? the big bass had been there all week, but of course the day we went down they were just west a short ways....

Back Beach
10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
where we fished the last the day of Nov last year. remember all those huge blues? the big bass had been there all week, but of course the day we went down they were just west a short ways....

I remember.

Just threw the "where" in there stir the pot, seeing I never ask.:hee:

My season was well done by then, but the promise of 20# blues and 40# bass was just too much to pass up...

fishpoopoo
10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
is it really that fun to catch holdovers in freezing weather near a place you could get (physically) mugged or otherwise harmed?

i must be turning into a pu$$y, because the above just doesn't appeal to me that much anymore.

Clammer
10-26-2007, 11:17 AM
come of Ben ;

I,m the old one //not you // you have the guns >.not me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>that,s all part of the challenge //
&& yes it is alotta fun / no one around /plenty of fish .. & its not cold :;
sorry to see marriage & kids have created a wimp :rotflmao::musc:

zimmy
10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
How about a 47" bass on a fly rod in March and the guy had to swim after it to get it in... Must be bs right? :hihi:

Clammer
10-26-2007, 12:25 PM
ZIM ;;

swimming doesn,t count :;:smokin:

piemma
10-27-2007, 03:33 PM
What do you care;
you're done for the year. :D:D:D
now give me all your eels :hang:

I heard that Block Island Jeff catches 40lb bass all winter long on clam-bellies at CG channel...

I thought BI Jeff died. Heard he's now got a Lexus 470 for a beach buggy.

BTW, I had a 17lb fish last Dec 24th and Tom McGuire was with me and witnessed it. So There!!!