View Full Version : Blues music

ProfessorM
10-26-2007, 07:58 PM
If you like the blues here is someone to check out. Albert Cummings. Guy is awesome.[url]http://www.albertcummings.com/index.php and a mass native. Here live at Chans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej0T3zc_r74

RIJIMMY
10-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I was at Chan's last Saturday to see little Charlie and the Nightcats. They play some good blues. This is too much Jimi and SRV knockoff for me.

RIJIMMY
10-26-2007, 08:21 PM
This is how you play some ORIGINAL blues guitar, he is jumping between blues, swing, bebop and beyond. How many blues guitar players can throw in Charlie Parker sax licks in ?
I know most wont get it, but you're witnessing a guy playing more than Clapton, Beck, Page could ever handle, never mind understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4S0-UBjeJ4

Tinslinger
10-26-2007, 10:29 PM
I guess I don't get it. There are more than 7 frets on a strat. Jeff, Eric, Sonny Landreth, and Jimi knew/know where to find them. Too much repitition on a lick. Three reps then move . Good ? Yeah. God ? Nooooo. There not Strat guys but watch/ listen to Trey, Jake Cinninger and Tab Benoit.

ProfessorM
10-27-2007, 08:53 AM
That clip is too much copycat style I agree but he is good with his own stuff. I really like Tab Benoit. He played Chans a few weeks ago. SJ Kubeck in Nov. is a great show. I seen him there a few times.

RIJIMMY
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I guess I don't get it. There are more than 7 frets on a strat. Jeff, Eric, Sonny Landreth, and Jimi knew/know where to find them. Too much repitition on a lick. Three reps then move . Good ? Yeah. God ? Nooooo. There not Strat guys but watch/ listen to Trey, Jake Cinninger and Tab Benoit.

he is playing very cool bebop lines in a standard blues progression, lots of Charlie PArker, Charlie Christian, sax type lines. This is a lost art, most players cannot even undestand this type of playing. I love clapton, hendrix, etc, but the reality is that they are playing one scale throughout a blues. Charlie Baty (clip) is playing through the chord progression, anticpating the next chord, playing substitute chords, very hip playing. he does play some repititous cliches, but those are expected in a blue solo of this length. Listen to the first 24 bars, amazing. I know I sound like a pompous arse, but this the type of music most dont get. how many people really "hear" charlie parker, dizzy, Cliffird Brown? Who cares how many positions or frets he plays in (there are only 12 notes!) Its the music that matters.

Rockport24
10-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I liked it, but in my opinion it doesn't touch clapton or hendrix, it's just a different style, but to each is own... you can talk scales, progressions, and level of difficulty until your blue in the face, either ya like it, or ya don't!!!!

Slingah
10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Paul...Ive been playing those blues cd's you gave me....most exellent...thanks again..
Im gonna have to take wifey to see some shows at Chan's...she loves the blues
pm me your address again...I bought some new discs, I'll burn you some stuff