View Full Version : Don't be afraid to use big lures.

Fish_Eye
10-27-2007, 10:30 AM
If you're already an angler that favors tossing large lures for lunker linesiders or huge hickory shad for colossal cows you already know that in addition to trophy fish you manage to catch some amazingly small and aggressive fish.

Below is a clip from a newspaper that offers up a pretty extreme example.

Share with us your little fish big bait story.

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (Oct 26, 2007 15:53 EST)

A fisherman found a fish in waters off the South Coast of Grand Cayman that had swallowed another fish more than four times its size.

McPherson "Dorson" Wright's attention was drawn to an object floating on the surface nearby. The fish, aptly named the Great Swallower, was just 7.5 inches in length. The fish it had eaten measured 34 inches, which is close to three feet in length.

Mr. Wright said that normally its expected that "big fish to eat down the small fish," but this greedy little creature had a huge appetite and eyes far bigger than its belly.

"When I first saw it, I really couldn't believe my eyes," said Wright. "It had obviously just died, so I decided I had to put it in the boat and take it down to the Department of the Environment to investigate it further."

On later inspection by scientists, it was established that the fish had consumed an extremely large and aggressive "snake mackerel" that was more than four times its own length.

Snake mackerel have a similar appearance to barracudas.

Scientist Mr Sutton of the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute added that it was likely "the finding would be written up in a scientific paper" and was intrigued about how the Great Swallower avoided being eaten by the snake mackerel.

The fish may even make it into the world record books and may be shipped to the United States for further inspection.

Local Marine Scientist Phillippe Bush said, "I would hate to see what a three-foot-long Great Swallower is capable of eating."

Great Swallower: The fish managed to swallow another fish more than four times its size to check out the picture visit this article:
[/URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=489896&in_page_id=1811[/URL]

Pt.JudeJoe
10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Too bad there aren't any Great Swallowers around here....sounds like they could be fun.

basswipe
10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Too bad there aren't any Great Swallowers around here....sounds like they could be fun.

Why does that not sound right?:eek:

joe the plumber
10-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Joe,There are definatley great swallowers out there.They cruise at night and if the price is right,very easy to catch...............

Pt.JudeJoe
10-27-2007, 12:13 PM
All kidding aside ....Once I was fishing a whole pogy in some nice white water hoping for a biggun to come by,as I had done well the night before under the same conditions at this spot. Well I noticed some splashing and lo and behold I saw a tiny 14 -16 inch striper with my whole pogy draped across his nose pushing it around just like mommy did.It was so cute this little puppy trying his best to do something with this huge meal.They definately have the instinct to maximize food intake .

Vogt
10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey Joe,There are definatley great swallowers out there.They cruise at night and if the price is right,very easy to catch...............

:rotflmao:I had a feeling this one was gunna go south.....

joe the plumber
10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I can't say how many stripers that size Ive had hit jointed eels or 3 oz bottles.Oink,oink!!!!!!

Duke41
10-27-2007, 12:38 PM
wow its stomach blew a gasket

joe the plumber
10-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Absolutley outrageous!!!!!!!!!

Adam_777
10-27-2007, 02:24 PM
That fish deserves an A for trying.Holy Sheet!

pops
10-27-2007, 02:41 PM
...maybe it was dead when the thing ate it ?:smash: cant see it otherwise ....

baldwin
10-27-2007, 05:12 PM
:rotflmao:I had a feeling this one was gunna go south.....

Yeah, and you never know what you might catch from them, either. You usually catch fish with crabs, but from the fish THEY'RE talkin' about...you can catch the crabs. Talk about trouble "down south"!