View Full Version : Right or left hand Conventional?

thill
09-13-2002, 09:25 AM
I've primarily used spinning reels, but in the last 5 or 6 years, I've added conventionals to the arsenal. Love casting with them.

But I've been going back and forth as to which I like better, right or left handed retrieves.

Spinning, I hold the rod in my right, (strong arm) and crank with my left. This is my natural stance.

When jigging, I can use a conventional either way, but neither feels particularly natural. What should I do? I find that unless I'm casting big plugs or vertical jigging from a boat, I tend to reach for the spinners...

What do you like?

JohnR
09-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Hey Tony - welcome back...

I do the same thing spinning & conv - cast with the right arm. I crank with my right on spinning and conventional... I stopped using spinning for 4 or 5 years and when I got back to it, I was casting and retrieving differently than from before switching to conventionals that I now use 90% of the time.... Now fishing with a spinning rod feels unnatural when compared to conventional...

Saltheart
09-13-2002, 12:10 PM
I always cast with my left hand and crank with my right. that means I need left handed spinners and right handed conventional. I only use one spinner any more for light stuff , everything else is conventional.

jettyjockey18
09-13-2002, 12:29 PM
i didn't know that they make conventional trout rods tony...:D

thill
09-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Ha ha, JJ, everyone's got to be a comedian!

But I think I've figured it out. I just need to use my conventionals more.

Went out last night and only used conventional gear for the 4 hours or so I was fishing. Funny, but once I made that decision, it became more comfortable.

Also, I found that I impart the best action to the lure when reeling with my left hand, and holding the rod in my right.

I will continue to use both, but I think I've figured out what I like the most.

Thanks for the replies.

TH