View Full Version : crude oil @ $98/bbl now.

fishpoopoo
11-07-2007, 07:40 AM
:(

$100 is not so far-fetched anymore.

$4-$5 gas is in the cards.

I shudder to think what heating oil will do this winter.

BigFish
11-07-2007, 08:13 AM
We are so screwed right now! :rocketem:

Flaptail
11-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Home heating oil delivered on Cape today, $ 3.05 p/gal.:eek5:

I wish I ownd a sweatshirt/sweater and heavy sock company right now.

spence
11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
They're already predicting an emergency situation forming with the projected price of heating oil this winter. A lot of people are going to be left out in the cold.

It wasn't all that long ago when Conservative pundits were laughing at the alarmists when oil prices temporarily fell on the last run up to 100. I wonder if they're laughing now?

Considering I just dropped nearly 1600 dollars on airfare to fly my family to Iowa for Christmas, this isn't going to help the bank account much :mad::mad::mad:

-spence

MrHunters
11-07-2007, 10:30 AM
32 degrees this morning and we didnt turn the heat on. yea its cold... but every day we don't use it now is more money in our pocket for when we REALLY need it.

sucks.

fishpoopoo
11-07-2007, 10:32 AM
It wasn't all that long ago when Conservative pundits were laughing at the alarmists when oil prices temporarily fell on the last run up to 100. I wonder if they're laughing now?
-spence

did i miss something? which "pundits" were poo-pooing $100 oil?

spence
11-07-2007, 11:54 AM
did i miss something? which "pundits" were poo-pooing $100 oil?
Back when the last big run up subsided all the Conservative whack jobs were laughing at the alarmists crying that the sky was falling and that we should be doing something about it.

Well, here we are again...

-spence

Fishpart
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I just saw $107. Gonna be a long winter...

fishpoopoo
11-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Back when the last big run up subsided all the Conservative whack jobs were laughing at the alarmists crying that the sky was falling and that we should be doing something about it.

Well, here we are again...

-spence

links, cites?

EarnedStripes44
11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
32 degrees this morning and we didnt turn the heat on. yea its cold... but every day we don't use it now is more money in our pocket for when we REALLY need it.

sucks.

My roomate is so soft. I feel like you do, I don't need the heat, I can handle it at night when I'm wrapped up, extra blankets are all I need. I wake up at 4am sweating. My roomate has the thermostat on 75. That softy, I feel like making him sleep outside...

spence
11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
links, cites?
Don't need to do a research project.

From the usual suspects would this suprise you?

-spence

Bronko
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm counting on global warming to keep my bills down. Al Gore's fear campaign can't be wrong can it? Home heating oil prices will be a thing of the past soon. The earth has a fever remember?:rotf3:

fishpoopoo
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Don't need to do a research project.

From the usual suspects would this suprise you?

-spence

without proper context, i won't comment.

spence
11-07-2007, 04:23 PM
You're got a creative mine, I'm sure you can visualize :lasso:

How about that market today? How about that Dollar? :bc:

-spence

Mr. Sandman
11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
"They" are now talking $300/barrel as a realistic target. Honestly, this is what is keeping me from buying a larger boat.The boating industry is about to go belly up (again) if this continues much longer.

Hybrid power boats don't seem to be on the drawing board.:think:

fishpoopoo
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
How about that market today? How about that Dollar? :bc:

-spence

Well, I've been loudly bellyaching about the USD over at SOL for so long now, I can't remember when I started jumping up and down and yammering about it. Since I'm banned from the Tavern and the PG, I won't be yammering for a while there.

What's actionable?

1) Move to Europe. :rude:

Real wealth in this unbalanced environment will be measured by tangible resources. Not increasingly worthless dollars and financial vehicles (U.S. treasury and corporate bonds and most stocks) denominated in them, they should be avoided.

2) Buy gold and gold mining stocks ... when spot gold prices correct to $750/oz. My picks: GLD (commodity ETF) and GDX (basket of gold mining stocks). Gold is a bit overdone right now. Wait until it pulls back. Other than jewelry, avoid owning physical gold within U.S. territory. I predict it will be confiscated by the government. I $hit you not. You can buy physical gold (on the interblab) and have it held in a Swiss vault if you want. Everbank.com also has a gold-linked certificate of deposit (which appreciates with the price of gold and is FDIC-insured).

3) Buy commodities. We are in a commodities supercycle. The best way for the average joe to do this is to buy commodity ETF's (which trade like stocks) like USO (crude oil) and DBC (Deutsche Bank Commodity ETF).

4) If China continues its foreign currency reserve diversification, then it's time to buy foreign currency ETF's. Wait until the dollar retraces its most recent losses, however. The dollar could temporarily strengthen as money flows back to the U.S. if U.S. investments are regarded as a safe haven and the emerging market premiums get deflated.