View Full Version : OK, Say you're on BI for a week

Brother Brian
11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Is the best opportunity always into the wind? I've had some success doing it (except on direct west) and since the winds have been west(ish) my plans have centered around that part of the island. Am I over thinking it? Should I try opposite sides (South and East) just because?

JFigliuolo
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Damn I was scared there for a minute... I thought the title was
"OK say your BI for a week":eek:

Brother Brian
11-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Talk about a SURVIVOR show !!

Rockport24
11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
there already is a BI show, it's called "Tila Tequila!!"" or some chit!

eelman
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Ask Toby or Krispy....They know the ins and outs:gu:

JohnR
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Ask Toby or Krispy....They know the ins and outs:gu:

We're not dragging one fight over to another thread...

chris L
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
is BI near nova scotia or californicate ?

tattoobob
11-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I would try to fish into it, or atleast go to the SW side.

You can also try and fish the east side the wind should be to your back there.

Dam it I am supposed to be there this week, but as JohnR says I need to try and keep my job for once lol or atleast more than a year

I just keep telling myself " I need my job more than I need to fish" over and over all week

JohnR
11-07-2007, 05:11 PM
TTB - Do I say that?

BB - You're on Block for a week - if you are going as a group, split up and have the groups fish both ;) ... Network the island :tooth:

Please, let's keep this one a little more, uhh, on topic :hee:

tattoobob
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry for the high jack, Yes John last spring on Cutty you told me about MV Week and you said something to that affect.

tattoobob
11-07-2007, 05:18 PM
The best part about Block Island is you can drive to different spots and run and gun, If you spend more than a half hour on one spot with out a bite move to the next, you can always go back and try that spot later in the night.

I usually fish 5 to 6 spots a night due to tide stages and conditions

Headhunter
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
There are not usually fish all over the island, but there are usually fish some where on the island. I like slinging eels with the wind at my back, I put more reliance on the part of the tide in relation to where on the island i will be fishing than wind. Wind with tide is alwys nice too!

JohnR
11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Sorry for the high jack, Yes John last spring on Cutty you told me about MV Week and you said something to that affect.

Wow, somebody listened to my advice :bl:

Seriously, I know it is hard NOT to go over when these chances come up. But still let the wife know you sacrificed a great fishing opportunity for something as boring as work

Headhunter
11-07-2007, 05:35 PM
As far as the wind in your face theory I dont put alot of stock in it unless it is producing bait at your feet, nicer with a coming tide.

Vogt
11-07-2007, 05:54 PM
As far as the wind in your face theory I dont put alot of stock in it unless it is producing bait at your feet, nicer with a coming tide.

It all boils down to the particular spot. In some places a wind in the face is crucial to catching, in others it just doesnt matter. I would say fish it. If anything it will be a learning experience to possibly give you an edge in the future.

Headhunter
11-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Pat that is true, just as wind in your face will totally shut some spots down. There is no substitute for putting your time in and paying your dues, find out what works for you.

Joe
11-07-2007, 06:31 PM
A lot of the spots don't really turn off unless it goes hard northwest - which usually turns the island off - usually. I've been on the west side with it blowing thirty and then gone over to the south side where there's a cliff to your back and there will be almost no wind along the shore and within your casting area. Wind is tricky over there, the strategies do not lend themselves well into a paint-by-numbers approach.

Brother Brian
11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I did the into the wind thing and tried as many west facing points as I could (4 in all) and I caught at all four. Nothing large (to hand anyway :realmad:) but a very nice night for numbers. Thanks folks.