View Full Version : What do you do in the off season?

Squibby17
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm curious as to what keeps us crazed fisherman busy during the winter months? I know a bunch of guys here work on their plugs. Does anyone Ice fish? Save for winter fishing trips to Belize? Snow Mobile, Ski? Basket Weaving?

I mentioned before I'm almost as crazy about skiing as I am fishing. I dropped my ski's off last night to get tuned up. I find there are lots of similarities. When the fish are in and I know the bite is on i'll drive long distances and drop other stuff in my life. If I know snow is coming I'll drive 4 hours to Jay Peak to hit the pow pow. Carving turns in 2 ft of powder is just as fun to me as a screaming drag from a large bass. You can do it alone or with a group of friends. You get to go to beautiful places and experience nature just like fishing. I'm going to Montana and Wyoming this winter to ski Jackson Hole and Big Sky Montana almost like a ski pilgrimage like a fisherman would do to Cuttyhunk, Block or Montauk :boots: I can't wait!

eelman
11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Seminars, shows, enjoy football and Play the drums as much as I can..

Be here Sunday!

BLUES JAM SUNDAY
SUDAY NOVEMBER 11TH
1PM –7PM
NARROW RIVER COFFEE HOUSE
PETTEQUAMSCUTT LAKE RD
NARRAGANSETT, RI

BRING YOUR AXE AND A COVERED DISH
CALL MITCH @ 486-3476 FOR INFORMATION AND DIRECTIONS
SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!

The Dad Fisherman
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Making Plugs
Smelt Fishing
Picked up all the necessities for Ice Fishing
Fishing Shows in February-April
Scouts takes up a lot of time between October and May

Squibby....you should come check out our meetings (Plum Island Surfcasters). Great place to just go and talk fishing in the off-season....and pick up some tips.

Rockfish9
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Now, that I get a "normal" nights sleep, meaning more than 4-5 hours, I go back to the gym before work to get in shape for the summer... I build plugs and rods a few hours each night during the week and ice fish on weekends, somewhere inbetween I try to reaquiant myself as to what my wife looks like, that way, when full blown senility and alzhimers sets in, I have half a chance of remembering some body....

hyefisherman2
11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
i build rods and try to stock up on plugs and the things i need for the nest season.

also like everyone else i go to the shows ;) i read alot of books to, and try to catch up on some reading.

Mike P
11-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I shellfish on weekends in the winter. Schoolies in the rivers--it can happen as early as mid-February.

Saturday morning coffee klatches at M&Ds also help pass the time. ;)

jim sylvester
11-09-2007, 11:42 AM
catch up on sleep :sleeps:

Clammer
11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
holdover fishing ;;

as good as it gets //

Bill if there woman there ..call me . I gotta work .but S/B done by 4;45

EarnedStripes44
11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I shop around local sporting good stores and stock up on hardware and supplies. There is a store dead smack in Medford Center that that reduces prices up to $40 on fishing equipment. I have purchased all of my rods and reels during this time of year and I have saved several hundred dollars.

Also, someone else mentioned fishing for schoolies in rivers during the winter, that is indeed very true. I have caught schoolies out of the Mystic in December. When the hankering to cast those line too much of a burden, I make a few trips. Usually come up empty and I get cold quickly, but I have caught some schoolies and some nice sized cod and pollack from the shore here in the Boston area during dead winter, especially in Feb. & March. I have also noticed that the skates I catch from the shore during the winter time, on average, are bigger than the those landed during the warmer months.

EarnedStripes44
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I meant 40% off*

kippy
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I plan on building spreader bars and daisy chains for tuna season. Probably willl take a boating safety course this winter as well.

RNC
11-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I snowboard and build different mobile audio setups during the winter. I'll even watch fishing on tv during that time. Also traveling is great to get away from the cold.

Rappin Mikey
11-09-2007, 12:23 PM
On the weekends I ice fish here around western MA and occasionally make a few holdover trips. Other than that, it's working and :gu:

likwid
11-09-2007, 12:24 PM
deliver boats to the carribean
telemark
sleep

fishpoopoo
11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
my participation in high-velocity copper-jacketed lead flings/legs tends to go up in the winter months.

GonnaCatchABig1
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
go absolutely crazy. i cant have anything to do with fishing during the winter. i would ice fish.. but the whole drop it down method doesnt appeal to me in the least. not knockin it.. just dont enjoy it. so ice fishing is out. that said i have on occasion thrown lines out as late and early in the year as i can. i was alot worse a few years back. when i would fish in a lil pocket of moving water on a certain lake. it kept it from freezing so i had about 30ft area to work with. never caught anything since it was to shallow and freezing.. but id still give it a shot.
anyway.. once i finally give up for the winter.. i hid from all fishing related things. i cant watch shows or read mags. cant even o to teh fishing sections at stores.
out of sight, out of mind.
or else the winter drags on for ever. i am highly impatient when not fishing. where as i could sit next to a rod with a chunk on it and do nothing or work a plug for hours. everything else needs to be either instant. or i have to be working on it non stop and finish it all in one sitting. <- makes for many sleepless nights. so waiting for the fishing to pick up at the end of winter, killllls me.
how ever being young and stupid..theres a sweet video game comin out (the 11 day from now wait is killin me lol) that i will probably spend most of the winter playing with.
hopefully see my girl more..
errrr.. maybe work on my camaro if i manage to get it.
come feb/march
i'll make a few plugs and in between
might work on a new rod.
if i make anything earlier than that i will go nutts waiting to try em out in actual fishing conditions.
yeeeeeeup gonna be a long winter now that i have some people to obsess over it with... :smokin:

jimmy z
11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Work more. In my spare time do some plugs. But if I really get restless, there's the spot with winter holdovers. :grins:

capesams
11-09-2007, 12:39 PM
watch naked ladies polish brass poles.

InTheHole
11-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Ice fish, hunt, hockey, work on the honey-do list.

Not necessarily in that order.

JohnR
11-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Put out squabbles on the Internet

numbskull
11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I compost

Flaptail
11-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Sneak over to Numbskulls and watch him frustrate himself because only two out of ten bottle plugs swim right! hahahahahaha!!!!!!!:spin:

likwid
11-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Also drink heavily on other people's tabs in warm places. :D

The Dad Fisherman
11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Put out squabbles on the Internet

Official Shack Nasty Negotiator

Tagger
11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
honey do list ,,build plugs,,Dream about fish chasing the plug . Fantasize about maybe being a great plug builder when I'm dead . Think about how great that will be .. Get re aquainted with the wife . Try and get her in love with me so I can ignore her come spring .. I downhill ski .. Proud to be a founding father of the greatest ski club on earth .. the "Mongolions" 200 strong ... only one rule .. 1. No Rules

bassballer
11-09-2007, 01:26 PM
snowboarding takes over my obsession, hopefully attending some shows also. But the habit of spending my money on plugs will never end.

Al in Westport
11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
After Christmas tree season is over...hibernate. :sleeps:

Rockport24
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
skiing, but not too much cause it gets damn expensive, other than that, dream about fishing, go to shows and seminars, and I'm in a cover band now, so hopefully get enough material together to play some shows! I'll post when we have one!

keeperreaper
11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Rig up some eel hooks, redo all my tuna bars and restring all the rods. Rest, enjoy the family and work on house projects. Hunt.hunt, hunt. Catch up with all my non fishing friends.

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Living about 6 miles from Sugarbush i have no off season. as soon as the fishing gear gets put away the ski gear gear comes out.the snow guns are blasting as i type.

BigFish
11-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I got lots of plugs to work on, lots of work to do in my shop to get the inside done! I got lots of work going on inside the house too! My wife will be on me to do more of the latter....and I will!;)

ProfessorM
11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Piss and moan about winter

The Iceman 6
11-09-2007, 04:12 PM
"Watch naked ladies polish brass poles."

:humpty::scream::hihi::cheers:

ps: 1000th post, took me long enough

Ice

The Iceman 6
11-09-2007, 04:12 PM
We'll I guess now it's my 1003rd, must of missed it - there was one?

:hidin:

Slingah
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Piss and moan about winter

I'm gonna do the same....and keep the woodstove going and watch a zillion movies from netflix

BigFish
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm gonna do the same....and keep the woodstove going and watch a zillion movies from netflix

Movies with brass poles??? And the women who polish them???:eyes:

Jenn
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
snowmobile.....and dream of all the things I cant do again till spring!

tattoobob
11-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I will do some ice fishing, chores around the house, and plenty of overtime. this is when I spend alot of time with my family.

I really hate the cold weather, I need a wood stove

I usually go to the gym every day too

Vogt
11-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Tie a few trout flies.
Fiddle with some plug making
Right now my gear is shot from a few long season, so I'll spend some time repairing, cleaning, etc. Also looking into a new set up for fighting large in the real "bone-yards". I pretty much know what I want, but I just need to get it ready for the spring run ;)

Surfpirate
11-09-2007, 08:19 PM
go to shows and read!

Dad 818
11-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Work on plugs with my 6 year old son.

Catch up on sleep

Read, read, read

thortum
11-10-2007, 12:24 AM
watch naked ladies polish brass poles.

Can I tag along if my wife will let me go. I have an extra couple of singles in my pocket.:bl2::angel:

HESH2
11-10-2007, 08:52 AM
piss and moan.if weather is like last year may get out for a few holdovers.read alot.

JohnR
11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Work on plugs with my 6 year old son.

Catch up on sleep

Read, read, read

Is this you? Could it really be? Your son ties flies?

ThrowingTimber
11-10-2007, 10:06 AM
lol no its not him. Be he refuses to join because of being on dial up.

american spirit
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
skeet shooting and rock climbing. probably spend more time with house projects this year.

bart
11-10-2007, 11:31 AM
i do a lot of drinking and women-chasing. occasionally i work out. sometimes i just cry. but mostly i do a lot of drinking.....

The Iceman 6
11-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Start hanging out with Bart...

Bazza
11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I plan to do some skiing this winter, looking forward to spending some time up north.

bloocrab
11-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I bother Goose about building me another rod but I never get him the supplies...:rotflmao:

He teases me with hunting stories......but tells me I can't PEE if I go with him ???.....what if I gotta :bshake:.....he says....:liquify: what fun is that???

APA League on Tuesdays/:gu:

Dad 818
11-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Is this you? Could it really be? Your son ties flies?

No it's not "me" (whoever that is)

But give my son time. :soon: Little $hit is already carving plugs with a rasp and sandpaper better than I am. :shocked:

Fungus
11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I will usually build a rod or two and tie some classic full dress atlantic salmon flies

Bronko
11-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Enjoy my family and my son's first Christmas. Play as much hockey as I can.

phish4stripers
11-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Catch up on household chores, try to go snowboarding as much as possible.

piemma
11-11-2007, 05:51 PM
;)What's an off season? ;)Clammer never stops. I'll give it up in Jan and most of Feb but will start looking for new arrivals around the Ides of March

Goose
11-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Mista Mom. collect/split wood. scout deer. wrap for freinds. Poker tour:hee:

Dick Durand
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Sqyibby - I've skied both Jackson Hole and Big Sky and they're both great mountains. Not far from Jackson Hole and not to be overlooked is Grand Targee, a great powder mountain, which is near Jackson Hole. Head south through the gap to Driggs, Idaho, and into the Tetons. Slightly off the beaten path, but if you have the time a pleasant diversion averageing 500 inches of powder. Enjoy the skiing!

rivsie11
11-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Hope for gas prices to go down so I can fish more next season.

Rob Rockcrawler
11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
try to keep the fire going, watch hockey. Going to try spinning some rods this winter. Gotta keep the stove nice and hot. Rake leaves sometime in march then go fishing.

afterhours
11-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I got lots of work going on inside the house too! My wife will be on me to do more of the latter....and I will!;)

...what a good guy :uhuh:

FishermanTim
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
What "off-season"?
I fish all year long.
Spring = trout , holdover stripers and cod
summer = bass (fresh and salt) and blues, and fluke etc...
fall = bass (fresh and salt) and trout
winter = ice fish for bass, trout, salmon, pickerel, pike, perch, crappie and maybe even stripers where the have been found.

Finlander
11-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Lots of trips to the tackle shops hopping to find something I don't already have and a little fresh water or ice fishing.

Slipknot
11-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I fish less than the other 6 months of the year and catch up around the house on improvements and maintenence. There are plenty of nice days in the winter to go out and get fish and I don't ice fish.

Back Beach
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Family time.Work out.Build a few rods. Fried turkey feast at 5/0's.Go to a couple Pats games. Florida for a week.
Build up six months of good will w/wife, so when May 15 rolls around there will be no roadblocks in the way of the 2008 season.:faga:

Clogston29
11-13-2007, 08:24 AM
try to do enough at home that the wife decides that its worth sticking around for another fishing season, this year I think that includes redoing the kitchen :doh:

hang out with family, hit the gym, sleep - basically try to live like a normal person for a couple of months

Gunpowder
11-13-2007, 03:39 PM
i go to school... unfortunalty far away from the ocean.

Squibby17
11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Sqyibby - I've skied both Jackson Hole and Big Sky and they're both great mountains. Not far from Jackson Hole and not to be overlooked is Grand Targee, a great powder mountain, which is near Jackson Hole. Head south through the gap to Driggs, Idaho, and into the Tetons. Slightly off the beaten path, but if you have the time a pleasant diversion averageing 500 inches of powder. Enjoy the skiing!

#^&#^&#^&#^&,

I'm actually doing a day at Grand Targhee too. It does have a great reputation and I'm going in late February which should be about as safe of a bet snow wise as you could ask for.

RickBomba
11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I used to work like crazy, but after what happened in the last two weeks, looks like I'll be travelling a lot, now.
Miami, California, Australia, Mexico, and Hong Kong as possible new work sites...sucks to be me in the winter.
Oh yeah, when I'm around, I hit the ice with Mikey.
Later,
Rick

mikecc
11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Besides Hunting,
Each year I try to rebuild 1 side of the house.
This year it is the front of the house.
I have replaced the Door all the windows, Vinyl Sided , Aztek trim & Shutters.
This is the last part of the house to be done.

I will open the shop on weekends starting in December. On weekdays I’ll be attending dealer shows, running for supplies ,Building Rods & Lures.

capecodkid
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
School everyday. I play basketball though. Tie flies, build plugs, buy gear, and go to shows is the rest. Nothing exciting.

Joe
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Practice the dark arts.

5/0
11-13-2007, 08:33 PM
This winter ought to be different,I was recently hired @ a new Commercial HVAC Co.it has some real prestigious accounts,there's a lot more challenges,schooling:read:studying and responsibility to go along with it,not to mention more $$$$ & a co:ss:Im really pshcyed about it.This move couldn't have come @ a better time.my co-workers are really laid back & knowledgeable so the transistion is almost seamless.

I look forward to hanging out with my Wife & kids I hope it gets cold enough to go pond skating & of course sledding. make a couple of trips to N.H. see my Mom for a long weekend do some boarding,bowling and eat some good cooking.
Start the annual winter work out,the wife will have some new projects in cue,watch the Pats kick ass for the rest of the season.

Fried turkey feast at 5/0's.
I can't wait to see a bunch of S-B drunks come to my house & stuff there faces booze :buds:it up tell lies :chatteraround the Bon fire and watch the Pats win :cheers:there first play-off game of the 2007 season.:devil:

Take a weekend or too down the Cape with the wifey:love:getaway.
IM sure there will be other stuff but I can't see that far into the future.

5/0

Flaptail
11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Take a lot of different drugs
Drink wayyy tooo Much
Have a lot of unprotected sex
Shower infrequently ( Hey, it worked for Rasputin!)
Gain 60 pounds devouring boxes of Twinkies and Yodels
Don't shave
And never use toilet paper
:doh:

numbskull
11-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Take a lot of different drugs
Drink wayyy tooo Much
Have a lot of unprotected sex with animals
Shower infrequently ( Hey, it worked for Rasputin!)
Gain 60 pounds devouring boxes of Twinkies and Yodels
Don't shave
And never use toilet paper
:doh:

Fixed your post

Flaptail
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Fixed your post

Thanks

fishermanjim
11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
MAKE LOVE,,,,,,,

bart
11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
This winter ought to be different,I was recently hired @ a new Commercial HVAC Co.it has some real prestigious accounts,there's a lot more challenges,schooling:read:studying and responsibility to go along with it,not to mention more $$$$ & a co:ss:Im really pshcyed about it.This move couldn't have come @ a better time.my co-workers are really laid back & knowledgeable so the transistion is almost seamless.

congrats on the new job Bob! :cheers:

5/0
11-14-2007, 04:59 PM
congrats on the new job Bob! :cheers:

I look forward to seeing yur Ugly face:rotf3:

tynan19
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
What day for the shannanigans. Last year I was :yak:.
Started up my 4 sleds today can't wait.

tynan19
11-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Ahh Jackman.

ChiefLinesider
11-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Cut rope

RIROCKHOUND
11-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Get L--- more often :D

I hit the gym harder w/o worrying about being sore the next day.
Work a lot harder, try to finish my degree,
and look forward to heading south in March for a week!

5/0
11-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Ahh Jackman.

Yes,Jack will be present:gu:IM not sure on the time table,Saturday/Sunday/early,late or night game.....I just hope the Pats can pull it off & make it to the play offs:rotflmao:

I just can't wait:kewl:

bart
11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
mmmmm Jack :cheers: