View Full Version : Code For Woodstoves?

BigFish
11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Anyone know what the state fire code requirements are for woodstove installation??? I am getting ready to build my hearth and hang the dura-rock and can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone! I will be stopping by the Fire Dept. and the local Woodstove dealer but just looking for any info anyone might have??? Thanks in advance!:bounce:

BigFish
11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Just looking for some advice tonight so I can lube the gears in my head! Thanks Karl....you are always there for me!:)

eastendlu
11-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Don't know if its possible but can't you look up the codes on the web as most towns have a site.

saltfly
11-15-2007, 08:06 PM
The building inspector "usually"goes by the clearance specs of the stove mfgr. but call to them first is the best start.Be carefull if your stove has a side door and front door because the hearth needs to be expanded on the door side.I almost screwed-up bigtime on that one.That was a Jotul Oslo model.

Nebe
11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I agree with karl.

check with town hall and talk to your agent. If your agent does not know you have a stove and something happens, your going to be in trouble, but if they know about it, there will be no surprises.

BigFish
11-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Its a Yotul.....one door though! I did an online search...found some info but no measurements for clearances and such so I will be visiting the building inspector for sure!

Slingah
11-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Larry...when I put mine in, the builing inspector was the one to talk to...and he came out to inspect it as well
we also had to tell the insurance company

The Dad Fisherman
11-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I had heard....and don't quote me on it.....that there isn't a code for wood-stoves. Something to do with insurance.

Get a pellet stove.....I love mine and they throw some great heat and are easy to maintain

mikecc
11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
NASD wood stove code requirments

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001001-d001100/d001052/d001052.html

ProfessorM
11-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Talk to the building inspector. He usually makes all the calls on that. You will need him to ok it on paper for your insurance company. He should have permits and clearances for your towns requirements. Some towns are even very strict on what kind of stove you can put in as far as pollution released. A lot has to do with the kind of stove as far as how close you can be to combustible surfaces. Wait till you price the chimney.$$$$ :conf: Can cost more than the darn stove. Good luck.

BigFish
11-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I have 2 different stoves and I got them both for free! The first one is a Russo....kind of large for my shop....might get too warm! The other is a Jotul 602.....better size for my shop! Might put the Russo in the house!

Swimmer
11-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Jotul is a very good stove Larry. Russo is a real work horse also but for larger spaces. Russo's are not as efficient/air tight as Jotuls'. I have a pro-former coal wood stove upstairs that I hope to replce with Jotul or Vermont Castings in the next year or so. Pro Former will then be put in cellar to be used when the temp really gets low. I have been burning wood for twenty-five years. Buy log length wood then cut and split myself. It is not as maintainance free like pellets or corn but its about a third of the cost of pellets. When you can score a Jotul for free you've had a good day.

BigFish
11-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info Frank! The Jotul was exactly what I was looking for....kind of fell in my lap and was given to me by a fellow S-B'er......he is a generous fellow who shall remain nameless!:hidin:

ProfessorM
11-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a brand new Jotul sitting at my mother in laws. Never fired up. Great little stove. Someday I will figure out a place for it. Log length is the way to go or free. I have not been burning as long as Mr. Swimmer but I have never had to buy any wood yet. Just keep your ears open and you can find it for free a lot of times. With all the dead oaks out there right now because of the gypsy and winter moths there are lots of people who want to get rid of the trees. I just stumbled onto about 2 cords of nice oak that a friend of a friend wants cut and out of their yard. The neighbor saw what I was doing and he wants about 10 trees gone. All oak. A lot of work but worth it to me and I can use the exercise. I just need a 20 year old to lug it.:hee: