View Full Version : "4 Leg Tourneys" ???

MountainBreeze
09-18-2002, 07:10 AM
What exactly are they and where / when are they held???

I "heard" one is in R.I. in Oct.

Thanks,
Rob

JohnR
09-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Hey Rob,

OK, the 4 Leg Tourney is a shore Catch & Release Tourney for S-B members where we all meet up, burn some perfectly good food (well, the food really is excellent) and then we break off into different groups and fish. All fish larger than 36 inches are logged and at the end of the year, prizes are awarded for the largest fish. Top prize this year is a custom rod and we'll probably have another rod or 2 in the top 3 as well. Other prizes will be lures & teaser rigs, plastics and all other kinds of stuff that I can scrounge from our sponsors :D ... There is also a category for largest Ditch Fish and I believe we included the Cuttyhunk trips as semi-official entries into the legs as well.

The legs are held in Mass & Rhody at one of our sponsor's shops at the beginning of the big fish season and the same for the fall run. It's a LOT of fun had by all (when we don't get a hurricane).

There is no charge other than we encourage people to bring something to the cook out and is open to all members that have been registered for at least one week before the tourney and have a minimum of 10 posts....

I believe (I'll need to check) the current leaders are:

1. Goose - for his 22" Cuttyhunk Bass
2. Me - for my 41.5 inch Cuttyhunk Bass
3. Open

These fish will likely be beaten over the last 2 legs unless Mother Nature really screws us up again....

:eek5:

MountainBreeze
09-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Oh Man... Now THAT sounds like my kinda' Shin Dig! ;)

As I say... I think I should get some experience under my belt, and some better gear before I make it out for that.

Maybe next year!?!?

Thanks for the info though and have a GREAT time! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Regards,
Rob

BTW:
I think I'm going to do a little casting in Niantic, CT this weekend. It will only be my second time surf casting but I'm going to give it my best!

QUOTE ftom a local board:
---------------------------------
"went out fishing yesterday had best day of season started slow then around 1 pm the blitzes were on large schools of of big bunker were leaving the niantic river i anchored just outside the bridges and snagged about 20 of them started using them whole and in chunks.i never seen so much bunker in the river. we caught about 10 blues from 8 to 15 lbs 3 bass in the 30s and 5 keeper fluke "

JohnR
09-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Rob - you should really consider going, you may see A LOT of inspiration regarding the surf set and you might learn a thing or 2.

You'll also be able to put faces with the names ....

MountainBreeze
09-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Good point John. Experience is everything and I prob could learn a bunch just watching. :cool:

Have you set a target date / time / location for the Rhody leg in Oct?

Rob

chris L
09-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Rob
No expierence needed ! As long as you like to fish no one cares how good ya are or your equipment . Ive been to alot of them and I suck at fishing ;) . Another thing to think about is ya get to meet alot of folks from the board ,pick their brains for info and see and check out their gear for your future purchases .

I should be out tomorrow night and Friday night fishing either Harkness or Niantic ( under the railroad bridge ) blackhawk side . I have a green toyota with rod tubes in front . look for the long haired hippie on the beach .

MountainBreeze
09-18-2002, 01:46 PM
Hey Chris...

Wish I could make it out to Niantic to meet ya'! Unfortunately, I have night school tomorrow night (Shoulda' stayed in school when I was a kid) and plans Friday night. :(

Do you have plans to head out over the weekend at all? What time do you usually fish there?

That spot under the RR bridge is where I was last Friday and will try and make it out to this weekend (day time). I haven't made it out to Harkness or Rocky Neck yet as I hear you need waders / good boots for those spots.

Maybe I'll catch ya' there at some point! :cheers:

Good luck,
Rob

chris L
09-18-2002, 01:54 PM
going to the cape for a week on Sunday 9/22 . Ill be fishing Niantic area until late October . Waders are nice at both places .

Carl
09-18-2002, 03:19 PM
MtnBrz1,

Don't be shy about showing up AND fishing at these get togethers. I'm mostly a lurker here with fair equipment and minimal experience, but I always try to attend at least the RI legs. It is always good to put the faces with the names. It is always a good time (with good food). One of these times the fish will cooperate too.

MtnBrz1 and Cris L,

I am only about 20 minutes from niantic, so if in the future, you want some company, let me know.

Jenn
09-18-2002, 08:45 PM
I think I should get some experience under my belt, and some better gear before I make it out for that

all the more reason to go...seriously! great way to getb together meet each other, pig out, learn something new (or old:confused: ) and have a good time......TRUST me.....I thought at first my fishing "expertise" would embarass me.....but it really wasnt that way!!!!! great bunch of people with good hearts , a love for fishing, and a lot of knowlegde to share!!! (and willing to offer that advice too) I havent been able to make any this year and really hope I will be able to make the RI one. (even if we never catch any fish at these things...LOL)

Jenn
09-18-2002, 08:48 PM
oops I forgot to mention....FUN TOO!!!!

there are a few comedians around that usually havethe rest of us in stitches!!!!!

chris L
09-19-2002, 07:57 AM
hi Carl ! Ill post when Im going next . I know Ill be there tonite and tomorrow . Havent seen ya post in a while . I hope all has been well !

MountainBreeze
09-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Hey... Thanks for the encouragement folks!

Do you have a date set in Oct for Rhody? I'll do my best to try and make it out and meet some of you! That's fair warning! ;)

Is this a one day event or does it span the weekend? Any more info???

Chris, good luck tonight and have a GREAT time on The Cape!

Carl, hope to hook up with you and Chris at some point. If the weather holds Sat, I'm going to try and make it out to Niantic, under the RR bridge. Prob be morning / afternoon though as I need some light to figure out what I'm doing! :confused:

I'm a short, little, fat guy with a stubby rod. Hey! I was talking' about my 8' PENN! ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Carl
09-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Chris,

That would be great. I have been busy. You're right I haven't posted much. My second daughter was born in June and she has been keeping us busy. Things are settling down now. Just in time for the best fishing of the season. Hope to fish with you soon.