View Full Version : Thanksgiving Food

Backbeach Jake
11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Why do some people just have to experiment with the food on Thanksgiving? You know the weird receipes that replace a normally tasty dish. The ones that catch in your throat like a poison pill? The ones that the women folk all oooh and aaah over but the dog won't go near, and you know his tastes . Like adding oranges to sweet potato pie. garlic to chocolate pie. This is supposed to be comfort food not hurry up and brush your teeth food. Please learn to cook the basics before you go wolfgang p#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up.
Beware or be gagged.
A Jake public service announcement

BigBo
11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Too much of the Food Network is not always a good thing. I'm with you BBJ. Stick with the basics for me.

tattoobob
11-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Slim fast thanksgiving for me

eastendlu
11-19-2007, 08:49 PM

Nothing slim about my Thankgiving.Lucky for me that the wife likes a traditional thanksgiving.Wood on the way so the fireplaces will be going ,daughter comming down from B.U. motherinlaw cooking vegetables my mouth is starting to water yummmmm!Ohh and last two years bluefish blitzing down the road.:jump:

tattoobob
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
I was just kidding we also have a traditional thanksgiving, everything except the Blue fish

eastendlu
11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I was just kidding we also have a traditional thanksgiving, everything except the Blue fish

:smash: I knew you were kidding:rotf2:

justplugit
11-19-2007, 10:03 PM

Bob, now is not the time to start a diet or stop drinkin. :doh: :D

The Dad Fisherman
11-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't give a Chit what they put on my Plate....as long as its smothered in Gravy :drool:

BW from AZ
11-20-2007, 12:15 AM
I cook the turkey. I brine it over night in salt, citrus, honey, and bay leaf solution. Then put it on a short post driven through a sheet of aluminum foil in a slight depression on the ground, cover with a upside down metal garbage can. Light charcoal in the lid. Place charcoal briquet's on top and around the outside of the rim on the ground. Ditch the lid. Works like a big dutch oven. When charcoal is about gone its done. no peeking. And yes i super heat it to burn off any galvanizing before first use:uhuh:. The upside is it leaves the oven free for home made pie and bread:drool:. My family asks for it to be cooked this way every year:bgi:. Deep fried is a close second.

The Dad Fisherman
11-20-2007, 01:25 AM
I cook the turkey. I brine it over night in salt, citrus, honey, and bay leaf solution. Then put it on a short post driven through a sheet of aluminum foil in a slight depression on the ground, cover with a upside down metal garbage can. Light charcoal in the lid. Place charcoal briquet's on top and around the outside of the rim on the ground. Ditch the lid. Works like a big dutch oven. When charcoal is about gone its done. no peeking. And yes i super heat it to burn off any galvanizing before first use:uhuh:. The upside is it leaves the oven free for home made pie and bread:drool:. My family asks for it to be cooked this way every year:bgi:. Deep fried is a close second.

We do that with the Scouts when we go Camping (without the Brine though).........Good Stuff

Rockfish9
11-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Having an Italian wife, that does everything the way her mother taught her, there are no worries of experimentation..... Unlike my first wife who couldnt boil water or not burn toast.

The only difference from what she would normaly make will be in the pasta, it will be home made/fresh instead of out of a box., thats the first coarse, the turkey will be traditional, I'm the only turnip lover, but she makes one just for me.....I make the pies, so there will be no surprises, apple,pumpkin and mince meat...

kevin d
11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
The only experimenting I'm doing is baking a pecan pie. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow so I can taste test it before it hits the table :)
I'm a turnip lover and whipped them up on Sunday and froze them.
Mince meat sounds good! I haven't had that in 20 years. Pumpkin pie is a must and the wife ordered a mocha cake of some sort from a bakery on Hilton Head. We should be good to go!

BW from AZ
11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
wife makes a killer rubarb pie from scratch:drool:

gone fishin
11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Strawberry Rubarb !!! yum I eat the whole thing. Also baked fresh ham and keilbassa with home made horseradish. And don't forget the wild mushrooms with onions & tatoes..................:buds:

The Dad Fisherman
11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Kids love thanksgiving....only day of the year they can have ice ream for breakfast.....right on top of a slice of Home-made pie :drool:

spence
11-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I know what you're talking about :boots:

Right now I'm smoking some turkey wings to use as a stock base for my gravy tomorrow :humpty:

-spence

basswipe
11-22-2007, 09:10 AM
I agree.

We won't always have Turkey,we may go for a rib roast but it'll get cooked the way it should.

OLD GOAT
11-22-2007, 11:01 AM
daughter #4 paid $45 for a turkey in the middle east.I Would gladly pay that price if she was home.O well happy thanksgiving to all my chat room friends .

Tagger
11-22-2007, 10:01 PM
only day of the year I eat yams .. aquired taste ,,maybe ,,, learned to like em just out of the can ... Now my sister in law makes some mashed yam goop with crust on top in a caserole dish .. I eat them and go yuuummm ... really thinking .. :yak:.. all these cooking shows .. but Rachael Ray is hot with the volume turned off ,, so I gotta go with it ,, :humpty: