View Full Version : aluminum reel seats

fishermanjim
11-21-2007, 03:49 PM
anyone use them? instead of fugi seats?

junkmansj
11-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I tend to only use the Big Alum seats on Stand-ups and heavy boat rods. Kind of bulky for casting and holding

NEXT2NUN
11-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I use the smallest Aftco aluminum seat on my boat rods,they have a nice clean look to them. I want to say I saw a picture of Iron Mike with one an a surf rod. Check with Pete G from Saltwater edge he will know for sure.

fishaholic18
11-22-2007, 04:54 PM
anyone use them? instead of fugi seats?
I've used them on boat rods Jim, I didn't like them because they were cold and uncomfortable.

luds
11-22-2007, 07:18 PM
If you're using a van staal reel there is too much play with a fuji seat. the reel will slide to each side even if it's matched with the appropriate size seat. as a result it does not always line up with you guides. i have been using aluminum seats lately for that reason. the biggest problem with them on a surf real is that if you use cork take there will be a big lip where the seat meets the handle. you can eliminate that by using a small foam foregrip over the cork tape or by going with a cork grip.

also, like f18 said they do get cold. doesn't bother me because i where a glove.