View Full Version : "Chef" Question?

BigFish
11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
My wife and I watch that "Kitchen Nightmares" show with Chef Gordon Ramsay. I have a question for anyone who might know......to be a "Chef"...."Executive Chef"...etc.....don't these titles require some formal training or a degree???? I thought that was how one earns the title of a "Chef"??? Otherwise aren't they just a shortorder cook or a cook????:huh:

A A L
11-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello,
You are correct. Usually to become a chef or executive chef you would need some kind of formal training. Usually a combination of extensive work experience, and some kind of culinary school degree or certificate. I am a chef, I trained for many years and attended school, but these days you can find a lot of people that are self proclaimed chefs

I have a question. I have read some threads in the plug building furum, and noticed you talk a lot there. I am new to plug building and just bought some createx paint and an airbrush. Do you know how much you are supposed to thin the paint before use. thanks

luds
11-21-2007, 09:47 PM
My wife and I watch that "Kitchen Nightmares" show with Chef Gordon Ramsay. I have a question for anyone who might know......to be a "Chef"...."Executive Chef"...etc.....don't these titles require some formal training or a degree???? I thought that was how one earns the title of a "Chef"??? Otherwise aren't they just a shortorder cook or a cook????:huh:

BF,
I was going to start a thread about this show. Me and the other half watch it too. Good stuff.

GREEN MEAT KILLS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

BigFish
11-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks A A L! You confirmed what I thought! Its a good show but it ticks me off that Chef Ramsay does not ask these "Chefs" what type of training they have and that if they have no formal training, call them out for not really being a Chef! I know Chefs work hard with the education and the extensive training you speak of......they deserve that respect as it is hard earned just as any Doctor has earned his!

A A L.....I guess I do "talk alot":laugha: on here! I do use createx and I really have only a few colors that I have needed to thin.....usually the red or pearl purple. Other than that I use them as is. Of course occasionally a batch of paint may need to have adjustments made accordingly but not often. Hope this helps?

Luds....its a great show....we enjoy it! Good for a laugh!:laugha:

Oh....I just add a little water and add more if needed.....usually just a little in the 4 oz. bottle will do the trick.

A A L
11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks bigfish. I didn't mean you talk alot, I just recognized your screename from the plug building forum thanks for the info.:gu:

RickBomba
11-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Jess and I both work in the restaurants on Wednesday nights...our favorite time of the week in coming home after work that night, opening a bottle and watching Nightmares on DVR.
Here's the poop...to get a certified chef's abbreviation after your name, you need to go through certain ACF accredidations...like school, tests, etc...each three letter abbreviation, ie..CMC, CEC, CCE, etc. require a different set of jumping through hoops to get your letters. In my mind, only those who hold an ACF accredidation are people who I would address as "Chef."
I do not hold any of these accredidations, yet have served as a Sous Chef and Executive Chef at various restaurants. I also graduated head of my class from the CIA, yet when people refer to me as "Chef," I tell them my name is Rick.
Being a chef is not like being a doctor, any yahoo can hire me and call me a chef. I could call myself a chef. Hell we all call Al at Race Point the "Chef," and that name fits because he's a chef, but I'm not sure if he went to culinary school, but he's wicked cool so it doesn't really matter to me, cause I'd go to battle for that guy.
Moral of my story is it's all semantics...I can call myself a genius, but that doesn't mean I'm wicked pissa smart.
On a good footnote, has anybody noticed that all of the crappy restaurants are on Longisland...which once again proves my postulate, enver cook with Longisland punks (hopefully no fishing friendly longislanders will take offense to this, unless you cooked with me at the CIA, and then you are probably my friend).
Good for you Larry?
Your Pal,
Just Rick

nightfighter
11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Chef; noun; person capable of making food assignments and being woken from dead stupor to prepare a gourmet feast for 22 misfit fishermen encamped on Cuttyhunk Island; synonym: Bomba

:thanks:

spence
11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
It actually irks me a bit when people call me a "great chef"...like WTF? I've never been paid to cook in my life.

I prefer "home cooking enthusiast" (i.e. can execute multiple complex recipes from books or online for parties under 12) :hihi:

Kitchen Nightmares is a bit cheesy but it's still fun to watch. At times (like the NY Indian eatery with the green meat) I really don't think he was y#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up for the camera. He was really pissed :yak:

-spence

Nebe
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
It actually irks me a bit when people call me a "great chef"...like WTF? I've never been paid to cook in my life.

I prefer "home cooking enthusiast" (i.e. can execute multiple complex recipes from books or online for parties under 12) :hihi:

Kitchen Nightmares is a bit cheesy but it's still fun to watch. At times (like the NY Indian eatery with the green meat) I really don't think he was y#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up for the camera. He was really pissed :yak:

-spence

I will call you anything you want after that turkey tonight :drool: :hee: