View Full Version : The "Take"

DZ
11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
The “Take”

It’s now Friday and my last night on island. With a three day weekend in progress there was sure to be more casters to contend with. The more popular island haunts would be crowded at dusk. My dilemma – where to go? I figured that “closer might be better” and would try a location nearby for some solitude. My hunch was correct as buggies full of hungry casters rambled by me on the way to the south end while I geared up at the pull-off on Spring Street.
It was now 30 minutes before dark as I surveyed the water from the bluff. A moderate easterly breeze of 10 knots helped the flooding tide push some white water into the parallel line of rocks some 30 yards off the beach creating near perfect conditions. I would also have the spot all to myself as not one other caster was here.
Once on the cobble I started casting my way north while constantly changing from needles to redfins on every perch. Nothing was doing all the way past the pipes. Full darkness had now set in as I started to work my way back. Halfway to the chute it happened – “the take”. Ten turns into my retrieve a bass “took” the Block Island Green pattern Super Strike Needlefish. Not an ordinary strike but a solid take where the strike and run happen at the same instant. I felt resistance and the very next moment line was peeling off my VS 300 as if it were attached to a freight train. I don’t experience these special “takes” very often – especially with the heavy gear I use - so I knew this fish could be special. Line continued to leave my reel in short fast skipping bursts, a sure sign my balky drag was dirty, wet, or both. In a matter of 30 seconds the fish was over the offshore reefs and my mono went limp - cut off like a like a knife through butter. That was all the time it took for my emotions to go from high elation to the low feeling of dejection that every surfcaster feels when dropping a special fish. I cursed myself out loud for not cleaning my drag before this nightly session. 35 years of experience and I should have known better. “Takes” such as these are so rare nowadays – and to blow a chance at this one really hurt.
Not even stopping to re-tie I immediately went right back to my buggy where I completely took apart and cleaned my drag. I was back on the same rock in 15 minutes and managed to take some bass into the high teens.
I would soon move to “Thumper’s Rock” but I was still stinging from my earlier disappointment. I decided to clip on a Hab’s Needlefish in honor of John Haberek who had passed on just 5 weeks earlier. My first cast with it provided a plump 25 pound bass that inhaled his yellow plug. The thought of John smiling from heaven above as I released this fish helped ease my earlier disappointment - thank you John Haberek.

PS: The “take” or strike of a surfcasters offering is probably the most exciting part of surfcasting. I know it’s my favorite. “Take’s” vary from explosive to subtle depending on conditions. I plan to write more about them in a future magazine article.

DZ

spence
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Spot burner :bsod:

:jester:

Nice little ditty, I'd like to read more.

-spence

ChiefLinesider
11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Vivid. I followed behind the whole way down to the rock. And cursed the offshore reef... Great stories

Bernzy
11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Nice read :btu::btu:

Bernzy

Clogston29
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
DZ, nice read. you just beat a me and a buddy to that spot that night. we drove by on our way to grab a cup of coffee while you were suiting up. we ended up going somewhere else looking for the same solitude that you were seeking. took the walk down there later in the night but you were still there. we made a few casts to your south and moved on, again looking for some space of our own - which there was plenty to have despite all the fisherman out there. We found space, we did not find fish.

Backbeach Jake
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks, alittle something to keep us warm this Winter.
The "take", when it's a special fish, is unmistakeable. Excellant!

Gunpowder
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
i liked it alot. nice work

piemma
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Dennis. Ah yes, the take. As one who as experienced it hundreds of times, your description of your night has a special meaning. The mention of John brings a lump to my throat. He and I had some special "takes" in the eye of a storm one night 20+ years ago.

Great read. Thanks for sharing

The Iceman 6
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Great read...wanting for more...

tattoobob
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks Dennis, Even though I missed the trip this year You made me feel I was right next to you, thanks for sharing

I am already saving for next year :pop:

Slipknot
11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
NICE

I try every time out to get a take like that

numbskull
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I've had a few of those kind of takes.............but they always turn out to be seals :uhuh:

thortum
11-27-2007, 07:47 PM
That didn't sound like the normal post-sounded more like a passage from a book. Are you an author- if not, you should be. Nicely done! :cheers:

JohnR
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Dennis, you even had me thinking of the foot think rotten seaweed often found at the bottom of the little steps below. Several years ago I had one of those takes there... Never did see her

Skitterpop
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Nice DZ :hihi:

I was getting ready to hit that needle myself.

Thanks

justplugit
11-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Nice DZ real nice. Great description.:btu: I had 3 "takes" in my lifetime, those moments burned in my mind forever. :)

doc
11-28-2007, 08:45 AM
those are the kind of thoughts that keep me going through the winter...

tynan19
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Very nice Dz, looking forward to more.

DZ
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the positive comments.
Sorry for the semi spot burn - I tried to stay as obscure as I could but those who already know the area can follow my footsteps and feel as if they're with me. That's what I try and convey in my writing style - I think other surfcaster's can relate to it.

Clogston - I did see a few silhouetts to my right at one point. I think you left as I was going to clean my drag.

DZ

Clogston29
11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
that was us. you were where we wanted to be so we moved on. good to hear that there was atleast one fish there and that our instincts weren't all wrong that weekend.

chawk20
11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Great read -TY

redfin
11-28-2007, 08:41 PM
DZ,

As always, a great read. Any new developments on the book?