View Full Version : Lyme disease in dogs

cheferson
11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Just found out my dog tested positive for lyme disease. Anyone here ever had a dog with it? Just got the news from a gansett police officer knocking at my door. Guess the vet didnt have my new number but had the PD's from when they faxed his rabies shot information to them a few weeks ago. So the dispatcher sent an officer by to make sure i knew. Thought that was pretty cool

afterhours
11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
my vet said he sees a few cases every week. get 'em tested and vaccined.

eastendlu
11-29-2007, 08:03 PM
First thing i did with my new pup is get him vaccinated for lyme.Well worth it as i find ticks on him all the time.

Mike P
11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Use Front Line. It works. Best way to prevent Lyme is to keep ticks off your pet in the first place. And check yourself often--FrontLine repels ticks from digging in. It doesn't keep them off your dog totally. They'll drop from the dog and find their way onto you.

stripersnipr
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
My Lab had it, damn near killed him.

cheferson
11-30-2007, 10:34 AM
My Lab had it, damn near killed him.

Any advice or info for me???

zimmy
11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll ask my wife when i see her, she's a vet. I'm sure she'll say your vet will need to prescribe what ever antibiotic it is they use in dogs.

cheferson
11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Going to get his meds right now. Just curious if anyone elses dog has had it and there experiences. I know in humans it can be a pain to totally get rid of. Also read that some dogs develope kidney failture from lyme.

stripersnipr
11-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Any advice or info for me???

It's been almost six years and, my ex has him now. Some days he cant even stand until she massages his joints. He's on medication for the rest of his life. He's aged prematurely but I'm not sure if thats a result of the medication or the disease but his quality of life is poor. Sluggish and dopey all the time. He was on the Frontline program when he acquired it too.

MrHunters
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
there is a lyme vaccination that my vet offers... not sure about it yet though.

not that it helps now for ya though.

it depends on how early you catch it and treat it. Woman down the street just finished treatment for her dog and it seems fine.

ProfessorM
11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I could be wrong but I could have sworn that my vet told me that they are not really positive if the vaccination even works but he recommends getting it until they find out for sure. So I do get it for her.

CJ Johnson
12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
All 3 of my dogs have been diagnosed with lyme disease.I have not seen a relapse since being treated but it was expensive to treat.This year I was also diagnosed with Lyme. The deer population needs to be thinned out in my area but hunters have a hard time finding public access to hunt.

I asked the vet about the vaccination but was told not to bother because it is not proven to be 100% preventative,also it must be given before your dog is even exposed to any ticks.Most dogs have been tick bit and may be carrying the disease for years before the first physical signs appear.

cheferson
12-03-2007, 09:08 AM
So the vet said he had a weak positive test result. Said at some point he was defiently exposed. All his other blood work came back with healthy results. He hasnt really showed any symptoms of lyme at all. Also my dog was vacinated for lyme disease the previous 2 years. The vet said not to really worry about and tojust monitor him for symptoms in the future and gave me 30 days worth of antibiotics.

pal156
12-04-2007, 09:03 AM
my dog has had lyme disease for about three yers now, because of age (14) vet doesn't wont to treat because med would prob kill him.doesn't seem to bother dog except maybe twice a year. hard time getting up and moving for about 10 min at a time,then he is fine