View Full Version : What do you think about Habs plug future

tattoobob
12-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Do you think that Habs wife will run the plug Business By hiring out?

Or maybe sell it to someone?

spence
12-14-2007, 06:09 PM
To answer that would require a lot of information, a big part of it is what the legal entity looked like etc...

Given the pretty tight knit group around the business though, I'm sure things will work themselves out in some reasonable manner.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, and fish what you've got :cheers:

-spence

BigFish
12-14-2007, 06:16 PM
I think you will be seeing Habs live on...hopefully they can keep it going in the family!:btu:

redfin
12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Since John and Mike Dauphin were so tight, (if memory serves, Mike "apprenticed" under John and they each turned for each other at times) I wonder if Mike will add HABS plugs to the Tattoo line-up. Maybe something like, HABS by Tattoo?

However it shakes out, I wish the best for any and all involved.

JohnR
12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Time will tell, when time is ready.

I know there has been a lot of speculation on what would happen and even more rumors. When the time is right for an announcement I'm sure we'll all here something. Just keep in your thoughts that the Hab's Custom Plugs legacy is something the family & friends of John know of, was involved in, and respects - John would be proud.

numbskull
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Be interesting to see what they sell for if and when they are reissued.

Slipknot
12-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I haven't thought at all about it other than it's up to the family what becomes of the business.

jbuck
12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
I haven't thought at all about it other than it's up to the family what becomes of the business.

Could not have said it any better.

Swimmer
12-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I have been waiting for this question to be asked. Hab didn't work in the shop all by his onesies did he?

tattoobob
12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I was waiting to Frank, So I just asked

I am not trying to be disrespect full to John or his Family

I will & have been fishing his Needles

When there gone there gone

reebok
12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
It would be totally insane if the Habs business was not continued. It's a strong brand. That's worth everything. Nobody could call it a knock off if it had the family's approval and was made the same way. It would be a winner and serve us all.

Say there's a young person involved. I say do college part time while running this thing. It's doable because it has a big moat... it won't be tough. The experience gets the young'n into a better B school. S/he comes out and builds it and winds up buying Gibbs, companies like Atom that pop, and so on. Improves on all of them and becomes the 800 lb gorilla in the plug business. Anyway that's my advice if there's a son, daughter, niece or nephew involved.

luds
12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
too soon. hopefully someone close will pick it up down the line.

Vogt
12-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Luds, I think you may have enough to hold you over for a little while.....:)

luds
12-14-2007, 09:23 PM

JohnR
12-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I was waiting to Frank, So I just asked

I am not trying to be disrespect full to John or his Family

I will & have been fishing his Needles

When there gone there gone

I don't think you are trying to be disrespectful. A lot of people are asking. When the family decides what they want to do they know they have the support of his friends and the surfcasting community at large. Whatever they choose to do.

GattaFish
12-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Luds,,, A fine collection,,,,,, I wish I was able to get metal lips and jointed needle and a blue metal lip jointed,,,,, Guess I better start trading,,,,

The Dad Fisherman
12-14-2007, 11:27 PM

WHAT are those top 2??....:drool:

NIB
12-14-2007, 11:53 PM
"Sticks" I think He called em.They are bout ten inches long..
Thinner than a 40 kinda like a murat eel without the center joint..
An not as thin..

Flaptail
12-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Tattoo would be the logical choice to carry on in producing John's needles and adding them to his line. The other models John made are now collectors items.

BassDawg
12-15-2007, 08:18 AM
My continued thoughts and prayers to the surviving Haberecks.

This is a most difficult time.............................

The Holidays for the first time without your spouse,

without your Dad.

Here's wishing his son, his bride, and the rest of the HABS

The PEACE of the Lord,

and His Comfort which is

The Spirit of the God,

be with them now and grant them
Wisdom and Guidance for their lives as they come to grips with a loss of this magnitude.

Swimmer
12-15-2007, 09:38 AM
too soon. hopefully someone close will pick it up down the line.

Dood, you have a very healthy obssession!

HESH2
12-15-2007, 10:12 AM
probably not a good time for this thread with xmas nearing.i'm sure his family will sort it out.

lazzyone
12-15-2007, 01:32 PM
RISAA has Hab's listed as on of the tables on the 2008 Exhibitor List.

jbuck
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
The Habs booth will be set up this year.

I will be there with my brother Point Jude Joe. Our booth is next to the Habs booth

Same place as last year. Jesica and John Jr. will be there , as well as some of John's work , from years past.

This will be in honor of John and his work.

John Jr. has designed a hat in his farther's memory that wil be available for sale.

Thanks, Jeff

wheresmy50
12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Tattoobob - I don't think it was too soon to ask. Everyone has been wanting to know the same thing.

BassDawg
12-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Please, don't misunderstand me....................

I'm not saying that Tatoo was wrong for asking, as we all know and appreciate the fine craftsmanship and the LOVE of the surf that John put into each and every one of his plugs. And we are ALL interested in catching up to the "massive" Luds collection :smokin:.

My thoughts were more to the difficulty that Jess and John Jr (and all of Habs' friends) must be dealing with at this particular time of the year. It will be great to see Jess and John Jr at the Shows, but those are some weeks away.

More importantly, I was just trying to say that in God's time and Jess and John's time we'll have our solution. Meanwhile, they still need our kind words, our thoughtful prayers, and our financial support during this very difficult transition until HABS' family chooses how they can best move forward with the HABS Line...........................

Huge thanks and gratitude to
John and Jeff of Pt Jude Lures for their continued and unyielding
support to both the Haberecks and the surfcasting community. Your service to us and sincere concern for John's family and their business interests is priceless!!!

Merry Christmas, gentlemen!!

hyefisherman2
12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Could not have said it any better.

agreed

Nebe
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
rest in PEACE Habs.. not speculation.

JohnR
12-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Huge thanks and gratitude to
John and Jeff of Pt Jude Lures for their continued and unyielding
support to both the Haberecks and the surfcasting community. Your service to us and sincere concern for John's family and their business interests is priceless!!!

Merry Christmas, gentlemen!!

JOE and Jeff of Pt Jude Lures ;)

Joe
12-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I'd sell it if I were Mrs. Habs.
Right now you've got a great brand, an account base, and a viable business that showed a profit for "X" amount of years, and (no doubt) increasing profitability over the last several years.
Unless whomever is chosen to head up the re-launch can improve the brand and the financials over the short term, you'll never get as much for the business as you would now.

wrikerjr
12-17-2007, 08:52 AM
if someone did take it over it would have to be atrue gentlemen like John was!!!

spence
12-17-2007, 09:05 AM
if someone did take it over it would have to be atrue gentlemen like John was!!!
That's the big variable in the future of the business. There was a lot of character and energy there constantly working to put out innovative products and keep the brand interest up.

-spence

fishpoopoo
12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
The family has a lot to sort through following John's passing. I don't know if this matter it the first thing on their minds right now.

When they're ready guys. After the holidays. I'm sure John's eldest son is sorting it out.

If John took all his plugmaking secrets with him, then it may not make any sense for someone to take up the Habs mantle. However, if there is a trusted third party who knows the recipe (particularly the finish) ... then by all means, there is some franchise value here!

Habs has become an iconic brand name.

Gunpowder
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
If John took all his plugmaking secrets with him, then it may not make any sense for someone to take up the Habs mantle. Habs has become an iconic brand name.

i totally agree. i would much rather have my great impression of hab's and everything he did remain in good standing rather than see the business try to get started up again and not be the show like hab's ran. look at spag's for instance... it was great and then his kids got hold of it and now its nothing like it used to be. im not saying his kids or other couldn't do it and by all means not trying to be rude here, but if there's a next in line, they have a lot to live up to.... so ure right. theres a lot that needs to be thought about.

mike

JohnR
12-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Several people in addition to John were involved in producing those lures. The knowledge of John's "way" he made many of his plugs is alive, well, and established - and should the family choose to continue with this, I feel confident they will be successful in doing these lures John's way.

RIROCKHOUND
12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree.
the right thing will happen WHEN it's the right time!

Krispy
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I miss John..

Tony's Pizza! :rotf2:

JohnR
12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I agree.
the right thing will happen WHEN it's the right time!

Bingo!

The right time is not now and this probably is not the right time to discuss it. The right time will be up to John's family.

We all miss John and we all really wonder what will happen but we really need to wait this out and let the family do what the family needs to do.

BigFish
12-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Quit pokin' the bear!:doh:

Striperknight
12-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I'd sell it if I were Mrs. Habs.
Right now you've got a great brand, an account base, and a viable business that showed a profit for "X" amount of years, and (no doubt) increasing profitability over the last several years.
Unless whomever is chosen to head up the re-launch can improve the brand and the financials over the short term, you'll never get as much for the business as you would now.

Were you his accountant? Unless you saw his books no one really
knows the financials of his company.

fumifish
12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
dumb question? how is the family holding up? :(

JohnR
12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
dumb question? how is the family holding up? :(

Since you asked ;) , I saw Jess at the CSA holiday party and all things considered she seems to be doing well. She's good people...

wader-dad
12-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I also met Mrs Habs at the CSA Holdiay Party and she impressed me as a very elegant and proud Lady. I hope she had a nice time.

westhavendave
12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
It was my honor to meet Mrs. Haberek as well. She has great friends like Point Jude Joe , his brother, John R, and Chris Fulton to help her through these tough times. It was a pleasure seeing all of you guys again.

BassDawg
12-20-2007, 05:15 AM
JOE and Jeff of Pt Jude Lures ;)

Thanks for the correction, JohnR
Must've met Joe "a hundred times", already!

Sorry 'bout that Joe,

And thanks again for you and yer brother's support.