View Full Version : Penn Slammer 460 Spinning Reel...

MountainBreeze
09-23-2002, 11:28 AM
What are your thoughts on the Penn Slammer 460 Spinning Reel?

The 8' PENN Newport rod and Power Graph II PG3000 reel are good for the docks / piers but it just doesn't give me the distance others are getting w/ longer rods. Some of the guys were doubling my casts this weekend and they said is was due to rod length.

I'd also like to get a reel that will hold up to the salt water better as well as having a larger spool capacity - in case I'm ever lucky enough to hook up with one that wants to run.

Can I get your thougts on the 460 spinning reel on a 10' St.Croix graphite rod? Good / bad / others???

Thanks folks,
Rob

tlapinski
09-23-2002, 02:25 PM
i think that reel might be a little small for that rod! i don't have any first hand experience with the reel, but have heard good things about it. i think even the larger size, 560 i think, might be a little small for a 10' rod. you could probably do ok with the 560 on a 9'er.

MountainBreeze
09-24-2002, 06:30 AM
Thanks t.

When you say "small for that rod," do you mean the weight of the reel, size of the reel or its spool capacity?

Thanks again,
Rob

kayaman
09-24-2002, 07:09 AM
To get more distance you need a rod you can load up on.... you don't want it to be too stiff. Length doesn't always = distance. St. Croix makes an excellent rod for casting and you should be able to get away with an 8 or 9 footer.;) ps.. I've found the larger Shimano reels to be an excellent choice. Baitrunner 6500 might be too big, try the 4500 or 5500. They are smooth running and have a two drag system. :btu:

ron816
09-28-2002, 05:01 PM
the penn slammer reel is a very nice reel, the size is a problem, it's a physically small reel, not a good match for a 10 ft st croix, better balance on an 8 or 9 foot rod, the balance on a ten will not be right.