View Full Version : Grand Slam

tobias
09-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Caught my first ever slam in South County, RI, bluefish, striper, weakfish, albie and even scup from shore. Didn't come without a price though.

Took the day off to take my dad scupping and arrived at our destination at about 5:30am. Decided to throw a lure to keep the fish honest. First cast, bluefish on. Land the fish and begin to remove the hooks, fish in left hand and pliers in right,fish shakes free from my left hand with lure still attached. As the fish is falling the rear 5/0 siwash hooks buries into my palm, barb buried.:crying: Now fish is hanging off the lure that is buried in my hand. I bring the fish up the rocks and keep my back turned to my day so he wouldn't freak out. Gather myself and slowly try to push the hook back out. I begin to see the point of the barb but won't pull out any further. I grab my knife and cut the flesh around the hook and finally remove the hook. Release the fish and then ripped a rag and tied it tight around my hand. Then continued to fish and catch a bluefish, striper and weakfish on the next three casts. Later, caught my first ever albie and a bunch of scup to complete the slam.

Overall had a great day even with the hook in hand. Dad had a blast catching all the scup. :happy:

Next day went and got a tetanus shot since I couldn't remember the last time I got one.

What would you guys have done? Pull the hook out and continue fishing or leave and get the hook removed at the hospital.

striperjerk1
09-23-2002, 12:12 PM
i would of done what u did. only next time bring a first aid kit.;)

Saltheart
09-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Congrats tobias. That's quite an achievement!:cool:

tobias
09-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Had a first-aid kit in the truck, 5 minute walk away. Just kept a lot of pressure on the puncture and seemed to do just fine. Had I not caught fish after the accident then I would have gone to the truck for the first-aid kit. Next time I'll just keep it in my surf bag.

Scotch Bonnet
09-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Thats how the guy in Mass died from that strange bacteria. I hold the blues down with my foot and take the hook out with pliers. Only when the hook is out do I grab them. Keep a little antibacterial in the surf bag.

The Iceman 6
09-23-2002, 03:42 PM
good work tobias - when catching fish i'm sure pain was not too bad, salt water prob felt good on cut?

Bill L
09-23-2002, 06:31 PM
I probably would have pulled it out and kept fishing too, if it came out easy, but I think I would have had a tough time cutting the barb clear :eek:

Thats quite a slam! I've never gotten a weakfish -- what were you using when you caught it (and the others)??

tobias
09-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Caught the bluefish, striper and weakfish on a parrot-colored super strike bottle plug, good luck trying to find one. The albie came on a 4oz megabait jig.

SB, funny you should mention the bacteria, I had that in the back of my mind. As soon as I got back home, I washed the cut out real well with some hydrogen peroxide and then put some antibiotic cream. So far so good.

Went out and bought a Berkley Lip Grip so I won't have to ever put my hands that close to the fish again:smash:

JohnR
09-24-2002, 07:51 AM
Nice work Tobias....

Yeh, I just got the lip lock too...

thill
09-25-2002, 09:39 AM
I agree with you. I've done the same thing.

If your cut bled well, then it is much less likely to become infected.

Punctures that seal themselves back up quickly are the ones to watch out for!

TH

thewaterfordstriper
09-26-2002, 09:06 PM
:confused: how are you going to pick your nose if your hand is all jacked up?

tobias
09-27-2002, 08:31 AM
That's why I keep you around;)

Adam R
09-29-2002, 10:04 PM
:eek: There will be none of that!!

tobias
09-30-2002, 08:53 AM
Hey Adam - Heard you and Brian did pretty well Saturday night. Wish I could have gone but that all-nighter Friday night wiped me out plus the wife would not have been too pleased:smash: I see you have your 10 posts so you'll be eligible for the Rhody leg on saturday:cool: Maybe we can do some reconnaissance work this coming friday.

Adam R
09-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Friday works for me.

thewaterfordstriper
09-30-2002, 03:03 PM
i think thats a great idea. you guys find the fish, don't catch any then take me to them on sat. ;)

Adam R
09-30-2002, 04:58 PM
We're dragging you out Friday...you just don't know it yet!