View Full Version : the hobbit

RIJIMMY
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I watched LOTR for the 30th time last weekend and was wondering if they'd ever make the hobbit...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Peter Jackson is set to oversee the film adaptation of "The Hobbit."

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion -- an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

New Line Cinema is owned by Time Warner. (Time Warner is the parent company of CNN.) Sony and Comcast are among the owners of MGM. E-mail to a friend

The Dad Fisherman
12-18-2007, 05:08 PM
What's the second Hobbit movie??

Saltheart
12-18-2007, 06:02 PM
The is only one Hobbit book so I guess they will break it into two movies for added profit. :)

The best of the Tolkien Books IMO is the collection of stories called The Sillmarillian. They could make a half dozen legiitimate movies from the stories in that book.

spence
12-18-2007, 06:18 PM
The best of the Tolkien Books IMO is the collection of stories called The Sillmarillian. They could make a half dozen legiitimate movies from the stories in that book.
The best? Are you insane?

It's a fun read if you're a JRRT geek, but it's a collection of stuff, not really a stand alone book. Sort of like the Book of Lost Tales.

There's plenty in the Hobbit to make two movies, although I'm sure some of the motivation is bigger dollars. But if they're as good as the LOTR I'll be sure to get all the box sets as well :buds:

-spence

RIJIMMY
12-19-2007, 03:47 PM
The best? Are you insane?

It's a fun read if you're a JRRT geek, but it's a collection of stuff, not really a stand alone book. Sort of like the Book of Lost Tales.

There's plenty in the Hobbit to make two movies, although I'm sure some of the motivation is bigger dollars. But if they're as good as the LOTR I'll be sure to get all the box sets as well :buds:

-spence

hey, we actually agree! As a high school tolkien geek I read that book rememebr is was about elf folklore and got a little out there. I think the hobbit should be great to see. The scene when Bilbo and Gollum are having the duel with riddles should be classic

striperman36
12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
It'll take 6 years to get to market

The Dad Fisherman
12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
They're looking at a 2010 release date for the 1st one

eastendlu
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I heard they already started recruting from this site.

Saltheart
12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
the Silmarillion is a collection of stories. Its not one book with one tale. Its unfortunate some people can't enjoy a story unless there are 15000 pages to fill in all the blanks for you. The stories in the Silmarillion are great , far better and many more tales than the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit . You get 10 or so good stories in the 500 pages instead of 15000 to tell one tale.Yes , you do need to have an imagination to enjoy them. There is far more creativity in that book (Silmarillian) than any other Tolkien book (I've read them all , even the most obscure).

chris L
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
all of JRR work is awesome . 2010 Im there . and I AM NOT A GEEK . computer or otherwise . Im many other things but not a GEEK LOL

thanks for the heads up jimmy

Raven
06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
It'll take 6 years to get to market

this game looks good

or the trailer anyways

Guardians of Middle Earth - Yahoo! (http://screen.yahoo.com/guardians-of-middle-earth-29546959.html?pb_list=07ff6f92-acc1-4718-bd8a-4f784ecd9880)

FishermanTim
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe he can take a stab at making "The Black Cauldron"??

Raven
06-06-2012, 12:48 PM
not familiar with that one
but the "Hobbit" is two films...

Saltheart
06-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Supposed to release movie one in Dec 2012 and movie 2 the following year in Dec 2013.

Raven
07-31-2012, 05:53 AM
Supposed to release movie one in Dec 2012 and movie 2 the following year in Dec 2013.

Yippie ki Yay december 14th can't get here soon enough

Peter Jackson announces a third 'Hobbit' film - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/showbiz/movies/jackson-hobbit-film-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)