View Full Version : Where would you go? And when?

GBOUTDOORS
12-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi guys and gals been a long time and I need some help. Yesterday the owner of my company told me he wants to send me and some of my top customers on a fishing trip. He talked about Costa Rica or Belise (sp) for a week of billfishing. There will be six of us and I would like to go after more than just billfish ie. roosterfish,grouper, and others like that. I have been hunting all over the place but never fishing and have no idea of time of year or place to go. Let me say first that I was thinking of Feb. or March but not set on that time. So whos been and when and what fish did you catch? Thanks GB

zimmy
12-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't have alot to offer... but I went ot Belize on my honeymoon and it is a great place. My grandparents went in the 70's but they mostly did flats and inshore reef fishing for bonefish and tarpon. Offshore is supposed to be good in the winter, I think March is definately a good time to go. It is an easy flight, everyone speaks English and it is very safe. Great variety of fishing. I Costa Rica is popular as well, so I don't think you could go wrong. How do I get to be a top customer :)?

check out ambergriscaye dot com and click on fishing. It has good info on fishing in Belize Ambergris is the most developed of the islands.

Brother Brian
12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Belize. Stay offshore at one of the lodges. Absolute fantasy fishing for bones, permit, all types of jacks, barracuda, wahoo, tuna and small tarpon. Blue water is about 300 yards from your room. If you dive bring your stuff, if you don't try it. I saw more LARGE things there in a week than I did in years at other places (many 15-17 ft Hammerheads, whales etc). My best day was from sun up to sun down walking in 2ft of water along an 8 mile coral reef having a shot at fish on almost every cast.
The place I stayed was Turneffe Island Lodge
TIL (http://www.turneffelodge.com/)
I could spend a week there every other week.

Sorry I forgot the when part. I don't know if they give you a price break anymore but it was cheaper in the late spring (better shot at tarpon too).

EarnedStripes44
12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Belize in the winter. Alaska's Prince William Sound in the summer. Monster Halibut.

Swimmer
12-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Anyplace down that way where you can fish for Tarpon........

jim sylvester
12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
cabo san lucas

sails, marlin
rooster, jacks

best gamefishing area in the world

keeperreaper
12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Tropic Star Lodge. Legends are born there.

Gunpowder
12-19-2007, 12:56 PM
the keys..... sailfish and marlin all the way

plankton
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I went to Costa Rica on the Pacific coast with my Dad some years ago, maybe the late 80's/early 90's, and we fished at a lodge called Bahia Pez Vela. This was back before I was much of a fisherman, he had planned the trip with another guy who had to drop out at the last minute so I got to go. Awesome place and incredible fishing, they specialized in light tackle and fly fishing for sailfish, which it so happens we caught none of, but we did catch a lot of roosterfish (great fun), wahoo, some amberjack, Dad got a nice yellowfin, and I caught a 1000+ pound black marlin. I don't remember what time of year it was or if they're still around but I'm sure you could do a search online.

UserRemoved1
12-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Florida. don't have to get malaria shots, no customs, etc. Cheaper airfare. Joe LeClair guides/lives down there during the winter and will HOOK you up

ChiefLinesider
12-19-2007, 07:25 PM
someplace warm
Ive fished Cat Island, Bahamas
Eleuthera, Bahamas twice
St John, USVI
Culebra

All offer great fishing. With the exception of St John, Bonefish being # 1. All were very memorable.
I would take a trip to Acklins/crooked island. Or Costa Rica.

If I had my choice of anywhere. I would go to the Seychelles Islands. you said free right

Seychelles Giant Trevally
http://www.urbanangler.com/diary/archives/SeychellesTrevally.jpg

Andy D
12-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I would go anywhere you could get into monster Roosters. Tough fighting fish and when your on them they provide some fast action.

BrianS
12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Alaska in a heartbeat

Goose
12-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Greg don't forget, I bought my entire roof from you;)

animal
12-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Hatteras for Christmas.Giant tuna.That is all.:usd:

Nebe
12-19-2007, 10:24 PM
namibia for African tigerfish. :heybaby:

GBOUTDOORS
12-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far keep them coming I will check out each and every place. Tony you just missed being in the top six by $500,000.00 next time we will have to do the shed roof at the same time and that will put you up there.:cheers: How was the hunting this year?

Nebe
12-19-2007, 10:31 PM
namibia for African tigerfish. :heybaby:
:sick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc2NJDqkqPw&feature=related

moogie
12-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi guys and gals been a long time and I need some help. Yesterday the owner of my company told me he wants to send me and some of my top customers on a fishing trip. He talked about Costa Rica or Belise (sp) for a week of billfishing. There will be six of us and I would like to go after more than just billfish ie. roosterfish,grouper, and others like that. I have been hunting all over the place but never fishing and have no idea of time of year or place to go. Let me say first that I was thinking of Feb. or March but not set on that time. So whos been and when and what fish did you catch? Thanks GB
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]
Hi,
I've made countless trips to Costa Rica, and I've also been to Belize. Costa Rica is your best bet by far.
There's a Captain in Quepos named Ross Roberts. He's from Marthas Vineyard. He charters the Vineyard in season and charters Quepos in the off season.
He does offshore and inshore trips. The man is a fish magnet.
Quepos is a great town. The hotels are reasonable, food is great, and lots of other things to do.
I can put you on to Ross.
Moogie

Goose
12-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Tony you just missed being in the top six by $500,000.00 next time we will have to do the shed roof at the same time and that will put you up there.:cheers: How was the hunting this year?

LOL. Gota buck and doe Missed a nice 8pt @ 40yrds first week of shot gun, whataya gonna do.

Saltheart
12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Guatemala for marlin.

PI guy
12-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Los Cabos for just about any pelagic fish you could possibly want to hook up with. Shoot for July or August and you will have a ball.

capecodkid
12-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Seychelles Islands are IMO the best fishing in the world right now for Giant Trevalley, Milkfish, and Bonefish. Also, the keys to fly fish for Tarpon, Bones, and Permit.